Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #61

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sure. The Voyager camera installation on our recently acquired 23FB was done by the original owner, and I think that it is a pretty slick idea. He mounted the camera on a piece of aluminum 'L' brace stock. He mounted another piece of 'L' brace on the back of the Airstream. The two pieces of 'L' brace have corresponding holes for the camera's power plug and mounting bolts. The other end of the camera's power plug is wired into the tag light on the Airstream. The mounting hardware and wing nuts are all high grade stainless steel.

This system allows mounting and dis-mounting of the camera in a manner of seconds. Here are a few photos of this mounting system.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03816.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	211592   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03819.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	211593  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03820.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	211594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03827.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	211595  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Brian - I'm with Steve. A bit more info on the camera would be good and a pic or two would not heart either....lol
Edit - While I typed this you posted pictures... THANKS YOU!

On the Altimeter front - That is to bad as it is something we always said we would like to have as it is always interesting how high one is while traveling the mountains. Thanks for taking the time to check this out.

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Gee - after looking at the pictures, one really needs to wonder if I could not just mount the camera inside trailer as I have a rear bedroom unit with a small ledge under the window and power plugs on either side of the bed.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #64

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Gee - after looking at the pictures, one really needs to wonder if I could not just mount the camera inside trailer as I have a rear bedroom unit with a small ledge under the window and power plugs on either side of the bed.

Any thoughts?
With the ease of getting to 12 volt DC power in the bedroom that would be worth a try. The only possible issue would be camera image clarity through the screen and window glass. That would also be ideal from a camera security standpoint.

If that does not work, I have another idea for mounting the bracket to the window glass without drilling any holes in the Airstream.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #65

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I just pulled the trigger on a new Garmin RV 760LMT. After a lot of on-line research, I decided that this is the best one out there for us.

For anyone else interested, I did a lot of price shopping, and the best deal that I found was from Factory Outlet Store | Online Shopping | Online Outlet Store. Prior to finding this site, the best price that I had found was $388.70 on Amazon Prime. The Factory Outlet Store price was $359.95 with free shipping and no sales tax.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Congrat's Brian - With luck it will do everything you want it to...
I would be very interested in hearing from you (once you get it) if it actually has the ability to give me an Altimeter functions.

Also thanks for your comment on the inside mount. Your comment about the (need) for 12V power is a good on as my plies in the rear of the trailer are of douse not 12V. So with that mi mind, what your idea about mounting on the window frame?

Thanks

Doug
Old 05-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
You have me a little confused, Rick. I was under the impression that you were talking about mating the Garmin RV760LMT to a Voyager wireless camera. If this is the case, I don't see why any wire plug adapters would be required.

I had gotten the impression from earlier posts to this thread that since the Garmin RV760LMT was set up to receive the Garmin brand wireless camera, it would also receive the signal from a Voyager wireless camera.

Brian
Almost...the voyager has a receiver that sits in the truck and will need to be plugged into garmin. Only the garmin bc 20 camera will work wirelessly with rv 760 LMT. But that camera gets poor reviews
SchuHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
EDIT: Sorry posted again - needed to fix the really poor typing , spelling etc.....Yicks must really read what I'm typing before posting in the future!

I would be very interested in hearing from you (once you get it) if it actually has the ability to give an Altimeter functions or not.

Also, thanks for your comment on the inside mount. Your comment about the (need) for 12V power is a good on as my plug's in the rear of the trailer are of course not 12V. So with that in mind, it might be a good idea to hear about mounting on the window frame?

Thanks

Doug
Old 05-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
EDIT: Sorry posted again - needed to fix the really poor typing , spelling etc.....Yicks must really read what I'm typing before posting in the future!

I would be very interested in hearing from you (once you get it) if it actually has the ability to give an Altimeter functions or not.

Also, thanks for your comment on the inside mount. Your comment about the (need) for 12V power is a good on as my plug's in the rear of the trailer are of course not 12V. So with that in mind, it might be a good idea to hear about mounting on the window frame?

Thanks

Doug
Doug, that would be great install but wouldn't the glass interfere at night?
I am ordering Garmin today also, I'll pay a little extra and get it from Crutchfield because of their outstanding service
Old 05-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
I saw this photo on the wireless install update post.

Does anyone know if this can be ordered from factory? Would making installing the Voyager a breeze
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Second photo. (Ipad wouldn't cooperate submitting two photos)
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I didn't take pictures (will try to do that next week) but at the service center, it was installed a little lower and he fished the wires under the skin to the center clearance light. They really should offer it as a factory installed option.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I didn't take pictures (will try to do that next week) but at the service center, it was installed a little lower and he fished the wires under the skin to the center clearance light. They really should offer it as a factory installed option.

THANKS SteveSueMac
I wish I had it done when unit was built earlier this month. I had actually called dealer and they said they never install rear view cameras.
Do you think this is a do it yourself project, or have the dealer do it or make a visit this summer to JC
Rick
Old 05-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuHouse View Post

THANKS SteveSueMac
I wish I had it done when unit was built earlier this month. I had actually called dealer and they said they never install rear view cameras.
Do you think this is a do it yourself project, or have the dealer do it or make a visit this summer to JC
Rick
Well, for ME it's not a DIY job - for many, I'm sure it is. Judging from the input you got from your dealer, I wouldn't try there either.

You may have local sources who can do this if you don't feel up to it. Local RV (not necessarily Airstream) dealers or body shops who do A/V install would be a start for getting estimates. Maybe the Voyager folks know some qualified installers in your area.

I you're close to Colonial in NJ they would likely be able to do it or if you're close to Jackson Center, you can't go wrong there :-)

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #75

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuHouse View Post
Almost...the voyager has a receiver that sits in the truck and will need to be plugged into garmin. Only the garmin bc 20 camera will work wirelessly with rv 760 LMT. But that camera gets poor reviews
Thanks for this information. Could you provide me with the voyager part number for the receiver unit and the types of connector cords that I will need to hook it up to the Garmin screen? How is the switch off from the GPS screen to the rear view camera screen accomplished?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #76

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
I would be very interested in hearing from you (once you get it) if it actually has the ability to give me an Altimeter functions.

Also thanks for your comment on the inside mount. Your comment about the (need) for 12V power is a good on as my plies in the rear of the trailer are of douse not 12V. So with that mi mind, what your idea about mounting on the window frame?

Thanks

Doug
Hi Doug. If I were newly installing the mount for my Voyager Camera on my 23FB, I would place the aluminum 'L' brace stock along the bottom of my bathroom window glass. I would drill holes in the stock to line up with the two window catch holes on the curb side of the glass. I would mount the 'L' stock with the type of two-sided tape that is used to attach automotive trim pieces. Then I would replace the window screws to support both the camera mount and the inside catch hardware for the window. It might require getting slightly longer screws to accommodate the material thickness of the camera mount. This would provide the same quick-release camera mount without drilling any holes in the Airstream.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for this Brian - I will have to go out to my coach today and take a close look at what my options might be.

Thanks again

Doug
Old 05-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
2021 16' Basecamp
Millsboro , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Thanks for this information. Could you provide me with the voyager part number for the receiver unit and the types of connector cords that I will need to hook it up to the Garmin screen? How is the switch off from the GPS screen to the rear view camera screen accomplished?

Brian
This is what rv cam recommended to me
WVRXCAMTC Digital Wireless Add-On System Includes:
- WVRX1 Digital Wireless Receiver Box
- VCMS10B Super CMOS camera with integrated wireless transmitter
- Stainless steel hardware
- Non-corrosive camera mounting bracket
Along with RVCams Backup Cameras and Rear View Systems: Voyager camera to male RCA and power

I would think you would need wvrx1 and 31300006 but I would call rv cam...he seemed to know what he was talking about
Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Arcticfox,

I mounted my rear view camera inside my back window in order to avoid putting any holes in the aluminum skin. I'm very happy with it.

Things to note, night vision is less clear than day vision. I don't know how much of this normal and how much is from glare on the window. I still can see behind me, it's just not as clear and I feel I lose some of the wide vision viewing. Generally, I try to avoid a lot of night driving and I can live with this.

I ran my power down the side of the window, into my cargo below, where I drilled a hole to get the cable underneath the trailer. From there, I ran it to the front and attached to the battery. My system is semi-wireless, and my transmitter is also at the front of the trailer not the propane tank.

Lynn
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Atlanta , Georgia
As previously posted I have the RV760 from Garmin, the garmin wireless camera mounted on back of my truck and the Voyager on back of trailer. Both cameras work with voyager without any issue. However, the Rv760 does not have ability to pick up sound from voyager mike. That would have been nice as a bonus. There is an undocumented sound jack on the RV 760 adapter, but after checking with Garmin, told this is only for earphones. Purchased package from Crutchfield. I installed the garmin camera on my truck which was not too bad. Wired to backup lights thus only activated when in reverse. Quality is only fair, but good enough for safety when backing up and helpful for hitching, but too fuzzy for dead on hitch connection every time.

The voyager was installed by Best Buy just below the center running light. I was very satisfied with install and they work on RV's in normal business. They were fine installing even though no equipment purchased from them. Yes, I was nervous about drilling but hole was very small and the installer used plenty of sealant squirted inside to ensure no water seepage. Since connected to running lights, have to turn them on to activate camera. Quality on this camera is great, however a slight delay. I have used it on a few trips and am so much more comfortable driving in Atlanta traffic, interstates, etc. with ability to see what is going on behind or in the next lane and backing into site is so much easier. My wife just has not been able to get the hang on good backing directions, but prevents me from getting into too much trouble.

Best Buy also ran wires for Rv760 GPS along with Voyager receiver in dash / radio so only have 2 wires a few inches long visible in center dash where I mount GPS screen. The GPS unit has a separate adapter to plug in power cord and Voyager receiver plug. When Voyager adapter is in use you can easily switch between camera and GPS view on screen. Changing adapters is easy, less than a minute. Just need to be sure I don't lose one when not in use.

I hope this helps. I would do exact same thing again, and feel strongly against hassle, maintenance, etc. of a wired unit on trailer.
Soul Food II is offline   Reply With Quote