Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Winegard SensarPro installation problem.

Today I purchased a SensarPro TV Signal Meter. I thought it would be a simple install. Just unscrew the signal booster wall plate, move the cables over and screw in the new plate. Wrong. The hole cut into the aluminum wall panel isn't big enough for the assembly. So I figure I can try to find a spacer that will work or cut the hole bigger. It's a brand new trailer and I'm a little afraid I'll butcher the wall.

Any advice on tools or techniques to enlarge the opening without making a mess of things?

Thanks,
Dave
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Today I purchased a SensarPro TV Signal Meter. I thought it would be a simple install. Just unscrew the signal booster wall plate, move the cables over and screw in the new plate. Wrong. The hole cut into the aluminum wall panel isn't big enough for the assembly. So I figure I can try to find a spacer that will work or cut the hole bigger. It's a brand new trailer and I'm a little afraid I'll butcher the wall.

Any advice on tools or techniques to enlarge the opening without making a mess of things?

Thanks,
Dave
I would start with something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-76...+metal+nibbler

Using a nibbler. you can make a nicer opening than Airstream generally cuts.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I would start with something similar to this:

Klein Tools 76011B Nibbler Tool - Amazon.com

Using a nibbler. you can make a nicer opening than Airstream generally cuts.

Ken
Thanks, just what I need to know. Will I need to file or sand the edge when I'm done?

Dave
Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You can use a pair of tin snips. They will cut the aluminum just fine.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Thanks, just what I need to know. Will I need to file or sand the edge when I'm done?

Dave
As the name says it nibbles away the aluminum in little rectangular, sometimes nearly square, bites. The edge will be as smooth and straight as you take care to make it. I can make a nice smooth edge and I'm not particularly handy. I suggest experimenting on a scrap of aluminum to get the hang of it. If your trailer is like mine you can probably find scraps of Airstream aluminum, by pulling out drawers and looking behind them. If not, you will probably start a good collection of unused screws and pop rivets. I wish someone would give those guys a vacuum.

Ken
Old 10-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I haven't found any big pieces of aluminum yet but I have quite a collection of little curly aluminum strings.

Thanks so much for the help. We've probably chatted as I flew overhead. Although if you were at Denver center it was probably for about 30 seconds. How small are those sectors? Seems like constantly changing freqs.

Dave
Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
I haven't found any big pieces of aluminum yet but I have quite a collection of little curly aluminum strings.

Thanks so much for the help. We've probably chatted as I flew overhead. Although if you were at Denver center it was probably for about 30 seconds. How small are those sectors? Seems like constantly changing freqs.

Dave
I worked at Seattle center from 1971 to 1993 and Denver Center from 1993 to 2004. Sector sizes vary a lot, the idea is to equalize the workload. So in areas of high traffic volume and/or complex terrain or routing they will be smaller. The smallest one I ever worked was a sector we had at Seattle Center that did nothing but handle traffic 4000' feet and below between Whidbey approach and Seattle approach. I think that is part of Seattle approach now. We basically provided radar approach control for Paine Field and Arlington Airport. The largest I ever worked was probably one that ran north south from Cheyenne to just south of Billings and east west from Rock Springs to well into south Dakota and Nebraska.
The busiest sector I ever worked was the one that handled traffic for Aspen and Eagle Airports in the winter.

Basically during my career, geographically I worked all of Seattle Center and 60% of Denver Center. I got bored easily, so tried new things often.

Ken
Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Small world, I'm a Capt for Alaska. Thanks for keeping me alive.

Dave
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Small world, I'm a Capt for Alaska. Thanks for keeping me alive.

Dave
Well, I say there is a good chance we've talked to one another. I'll pass your thanks on to my wife also. She also worked at Seattle and now works at Denver. She has a year and a half till she retires. She's just a kid.

Ken