Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
daveswenson's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 767
Winegard SensarPro installation problem.

Today I purchased a SensarPro TV Signal Meter. I thought it would be a simple install. Just unscrew the signal booster wall plate, move the cables over and screw in the new plate. Wrong. The hole cut into the aluminum wall panel isn't big enough for the assembly. So I figure I can try to find a spacer that will work or cut the hole bigger. It's a brand new trailer and I'm a little afraid I'll butcher the wall.

Any advice on tools or techniques to enlarge the opening without making a mess of things?

Thanks,
Dave
__________________

__________________
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Today I purchased a SensarPro TV Signal Meter. I thought it would be a simple install. Just unscrew the signal booster wall plate, move the cables over and screw in the new plate. Wrong. The hole cut into the aluminum wall panel isn't big enough for the assembly. So I figure I can try to find a spacer that will work or cut the hole bigger. It's a brand new trailer and I'm a little afraid I'll butcher the wall.

Any advice on tools or techniques to enlarge the opening without making a mess of things?

Thanks,
Dave
I would start with something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-76...+metal+nibbler

Using a nibbler. you can make a nicer opening than Airstream generally cuts.

Ken
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
daveswenson's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I would start with something similar to this:

Klein Tools 76011B Nibbler Tool - Amazon.com

Using a nibbler. you can make a nicer opening than Airstream generally cuts.

Ken
Thanks, just what I need to know. Will I need to file or sand the edge when I'm done?

Dave
__________________
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Bigventure's Avatar
 
2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 571
Images: 4
You can use a pair of tin snips. They will cut the aluminum just fine.
__________________
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Thanks, just what I need to know. Will I need to file or sand the edge when I'm done?

Dave
As the name says it nibbles away the aluminum in little rectangular, sometimes nearly square, bites. The edge will be as smooth and straight as you take care to make it. I can make a nice smooth edge and I'm not particularly handy. I suggest experimenting on a scrap of aluminum to get the hang of it. If your trailer is like mine you can probably find scraps of Airstream aluminum, by pulling out drawers and looking behind them. If not, you will probably start a good collection of unused screws and pop rivets. I wish someone would give those guys a vacuum.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
daveswenson's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 767
I haven't found any big pieces of aluminum yet but I have quite a collection of little curly aluminum strings.

Thanks so much for the help. We've probably chatted as I flew overhead. Although if you were at Denver center it was probably for about 30 seconds. How small are those sectors? Seems like constantly changing freqs.

Dave
__________________
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
I haven't found any big pieces of aluminum yet but I have quite a collection of little curly aluminum strings.

Thanks so much for the help. We've probably chatted as I flew overhead. Although if you were at Denver center it was probably for about 30 seconds. How small are those sectors? Seems like constantly changing freqs.

Dave
I worked at Seattle center from 1971 to 1993 and Denver Center from 1993 to 2004. Sector sizes vary a lot, the idea is to equalize the workload. So in areas of high traffic volume and/or complex terrain or routing they will be smaller. The smallest one I ever worked was a sector we had at Seattle Center that did nothing but handle traffic 4000' feet and below between Whidbey approach and Seattle approach. I think that is part of Seattle approach now. We basically provided radar approach control for Paine Field and Arlington Airport. The largest I ever worked was probably one that ran north south from Cheyenne to just south of Billings and east west from Rock Springs to well into south Dakota and Nebraska.
The busiest sector I ever worked was the one that handled traffic for Aspen and Eagle Airports in the winter.

Basically during my career, geographically I worked all of Seattle Center and 60% of Denver Center. I got bored easily, so tried new things often.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
daveswenson's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 767
Small world, I'm a Capt for Alaska. Thanks for keeping me alive.

Dave
__________________
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Small world, I'm a Capt for Alaska. Thanks for keeping me alive.

Dave
Well, I say there is a good chance we've talked to one another. I'll pass your thanks on to my wife also. She also worked at Seattle and now works at Denver. She has a year and a half till she retires. She's just a kid.

Ken
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.