Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Winegard Sensar won't swivel (rotate)

While cranking up (or perhaps rotating) my Winegard Sensar Antenna (2005 Safari), the handle, spring, and rotating collar flew off.

I've resembled per Winegard's Operating and Instruction pdf and from the roof I've sprayed silicone spray on the raising gear and between the roof swivel contact points, and in the little lubricating hole on the plate. (This lack of regular maintenance probably led to my problem.)

It now raises just beautifully but will not swivel, when attempted from the inside as intended, or by having someone hold the rotating collar open from the inside and attempting to rotate from the roof.

I would like to dismantle from the roof to get to the rotating gear plates but can't from the manual understand how to do this. I don't want to remove the raising worm gear or break the roof seal if possible. Ideas?

Of course, I can eliminate the need for the swivel by simply hitching up and rotating my trailer, but this is clumsy and doesn't meeting the discipline of many campgrounds.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
It could be max'd out either left or right.
Raise the antenna. Swing it all the way left
and then all the way right. Find the midpoint
of the rotational swing. If no swing, then
take the handle and plate off and locate the
"Binding". It will bind if the antenna is not
all the way up. I did the install on mine and this part
may take you a bit of time to adjust. It sounds like
an adjustment issue. It took me awhile also.

Please be patient
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammur View Post
...Of course, I can eliminate the need for the swivel by simply hitching up and rotating my trailer, but this is clumsy and doesn't meeting the discipline of many campgrounds.
hi cam

had the same issue and renting 2 spaces 2 rotate the trailer got expensive.

wag, but here is a suggestion...

-RE-remove the crank and rotator knob AFTER the bat wind is UP.

--grab the flat sided/round rod with a pair of VICE GRIPS...

---gently rotate while PUSHING UP on the rod (via the v.g.)

----IF this works, reattach the internal knobs BUT NOT SO FIRMLY to the ceiling, the knob needs a tiny GAP to work...

____IF this doesn't work...

get a view cube or one of these other gizmos...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ion-33976.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The parts are available at just about any RV store and fairly cheap. When I have called Winegard they were helpful.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Winegard won't swivel - the final solution

Thanks as always for the suggestions. I now have it working (raising and swiveling) and here is what i did:
  • Raising/lowering - As I reported, silicone spray - the first application since probably the factory - now allows me to raise and lower with only the right level of resistance. I'll now spray the topside gear whenever I encounter Resistance, or minimally once or twice yearly.
  • Swivel - I sprayed it seemed like ounces between the swivel plates and also in the oiler hole but could not get it to turn with the force I was willing to apply. I reluctantly bought ($22) something called a Tenna-tool that is supposed to let you adjust the swivel from the inside without risking breaking the seal to the roof; the tool fit, but I couldn't get it to turn. I went back on the roof re-shot more spray (this is now a day or two later) and took channel-locks to the topside mechanism and forced it - it broke free and now swivels happily. (I'll try to return the tool.)
  • crank handle popped off - problem began when excessive resistance and force caused the crank to pop off, firing the handle, rotator, spring, and bearing about the trailer after bouncing off my head. I read somewhere this is a common problem. I bought a replacement bearing (must have swallowed the old), reassembled, and used (removable) LockTite to secure the setscrew. Test-OK. This should do it.
I'm sure my problem developed from four years of weather and no maintenance to these parts - I'll now regularly spray both the raising gear and the swivel plates.

This is a great community - thx again to everybody that provided input.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Darn I went through all my manuals - don't have one for the Winegard. Went to the company website looking for a printable pdf on how to lubricate. No luck finding it. Anyone have a good link to the installation manual? It's a 2012 EB so it's the batwing upgrade to HDTV.

Thanks in advance.

Paula
Old 03-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
never mind. I found the .pdf

Ain't google wonderful?

Paula

Tags
winegard