Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
wifi antenna mount

Hey guys, I have been trying to figure out a mounting solution for the wifi ranger elite and I found this 12v antenna lift. The specs say it is less than 1lb so it would be under the maximum limit, and with a little bit of creative hacking it could work... I think. I don't have a tv antenna to mount it to (nor do I really want to have one) so I'm trying to think a little creatively, although just mounting it vertically wouldn't be the end of the world either, I suppose. What do you think?
Old 02-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
For those with a larger budget there's this solution
Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. That's the one I a. Trying to adapt to my AS.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
Tell me how it goes!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Your first one from Diamond is a good product. I've seen the elite but nothing on it's weight specs. Might be close.

The Tarheel is likely bullet proof like most of the other Tarheel products.

Depending on where you are going to locate the antenna something like a fold over mount used for marine antennas might work just fine. If you are tall enough might mount it just past the door, and stand in the open door to put it up and down. Just a thought....
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
Mounting it lower would be a good solution if it weren't for the awnings :/ I was thinking between the two vents in front of the AC on the roof- thus the need for power lifting, albeit very light lifting. The Wifi Ranger says its 14 oz and the capacity of the lifting mechanism says 1lb max so I'd be within range. I'd just like something a little discreet when traveling if possible but still cranks up when parked.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
Window shopping

Hi guys! I've been shopping around. Jefa Tech has a product that I am very interested in as well. For a 2' antenna it's got a 8.5dBi gain, which I believe is pretty substantial for my needs. It comes with the cables and repeater for a neat $170 bucks, so this is high on my list.

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

PDQ also has an antenna and repeater that is similar to Elite with a 5dBi gain (compared to 6dBi for the elite) for $150 dollars less coming in at about $450.

AllPro RV Hotspot & WiFi Amplifier - Long Range WiFi up to 25 Miles - PDQ Connect

Also MobileMark has an option that looks pretty substantial with four antennas in one housing- two cellular, one GPS, and one Wifi. I reached out to the 3G store to see what they have to say about my specific situation (since it's really hard keeping track of all this new terminology!) so I will report back on what they say. This unit might be a little above my head since (according to my understanding) it uses two cellular antennas at once to get the greatest bandwith- MiMo: Multiple input, multiple output, so you have to know how to set that up and make it work. I'm just attracted to the neatness factor This is comparing apples to oranges but the wifi gain is 5dBi and it's dual band.

MobileMark WHITE Multi-Band 4-Cable Antenna for MiMo 3G/4G Cellular, GPS, & WiFi : 3Gstore.com

Right now I'm mostly concentrating on wifi antennas since that will be my bread and butter for work- I use up waaay too much bandwidth to rely solely on cellular data plans $$. Depending on how much that is, then I'll look into cell boosters as well.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
Hi guys, so I decided to go with Jefa Tech I think it will be a good solution for me. Still contemplating how to mount it however... I'm surprised there isn't more information on the googles!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
Just got my antenna and repeater- 5 minutes or less to get it up and running! Love an easy tech install. Now to figure out how to physically install it...
Old 03-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
WiFiRanger has a new mounting solution for the wifi ranger elite. They just announced a Flat Mount Elite which will be 13" high. They show it under the shop tab.

Install it on the drivers side of the roof to help clear trees and orient it so the cable grommet faces the rear to help keep out wind driven rain.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote