Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I heard that!!

Originally Posted by Pick View Post
I have heard they are going to extend the deadline for another 30 days or so, for the braindead, confused folk.
correct me if I'm wrong - but last week the media was reporting the pres-elect was heading up this change.
geez they been flooding the airwaves for 11 months now and some still are not up to speed.

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There's no doubt there are lots of people who have no idea what the conversion to digital means and are afraid of all those wires. I think that's a lot of people. There are an amazingly high percentage of people who think that a HDTV will automatically get you HD programming on cable or satellite. Retailers experienced a large number of returns because people thought the new HDTV didn't work right though now they offer schooling on that. Who among us understands all this electronic stuff?

So it's no surprise to me that whenever the switch happens, a lot of people will get no TV and have no idea why. On the other hand, a lot of people can't afford the converter boxes. If they have 2 TV's, two boxes. It's obvious the subsidy program wasn't thought through since they ran out of money weeks ago. I'd love to see this thing over and done but I think there will probably be an extension to make it work better.

I somewhere heard TV translators will not go digital, but I'm not sure of that. If you don't live in a rural area, you may not know what they are, though I guess most of us have learned from traveling with a trailer. Translators rebroadcast signals from a distant station, often on different channels. Cable has replaced them in a lot of rural towns, but not everywhere. Where we live there's a translator for some Grand Junction stations, but it doesn't always work and one station seems to have dropped off. I haven't tried it in years since GJ TV news is really badly done and we have satellite. When we try translators in the trailer, reception is often not very good.

I read something some time ago how people would be surprised about the differences between digital and analog transmission and we're just learning it. This thread has been helpful to me in confirming my experience and helping to understand what I don't know.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
When we try translators in the trailer, reception is often not very good.
That is because the translators are often low power transmitters. Think of them as "neighborhood" TV stations. Most run hundreds of watts ERP, with low antennas only a couple of hundred feet high. A typical FULL power station runs MEGAWATTS of ERP with antennas 1000 feet or more in height.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Agreed, Pick. But when we can see the tower on a mountain top 500 or more feet above us, even then the reception isn't very good. My guess is that these things are pretty old and have not been well maintained since they are a very small part of the TV stations' viewership.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon

Did you take the converter out of the system, and still lose channel 2? If your TV set is an older one it may be receiving the analog signal too strong, and distorting the signal to the point that the TV thinks that it is noise and not a useable channel. You are only 8 or 9 miles from the transmitter and your signal should be quite strong. Another thought, is your rabbit ears antenna the type that have a signal booster built in, as your signal booster may be putting too strong of a signal into the converter box?

On Translators: They were placed in positions to feed remote communities that were not able to receive the signals directly from the broadcast stations. Quite often these translator sites were place on available land that had an acceptable analog signal, but not the best signal site, and this was due to power not being available at the best signal site or the landowner not sharing enthusiasm for an antenna farm and traffic on their property. Translators have been funded by various means, volunteers, associations, dues paying memberships, donations, and in Oregon some have even funded by forming municipal districts, and I believe that all have barely been able to survive financially. One translator group close by here has even resorted to turning the system off in past years, to stimulate members to pay their dues, to maintain the system.

Now with the advent of the digital conversion to the allowed analog transmission from the translator site, a lot of these translator sites are too far out to receive a workable digital signal to convert to analog and re-broadcast to its serving area.

Our local TV cable system is too far out to receive workable digital signal. The upcoming loss of local stations in addition to other reasons, has caused this system to shut off a few weeks ago. I suspect that other cable systems are in a similar situation.

Thank you
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #20
2006 F350 V10 Ext. Cab LB
1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Hi Steve,

No, I didn't think to take out the converter before doing a rescan today. It restored all channels, so the test wouldn't show anything now.

The rabbit ears antenna is the type with 2 telescoping arms, a small hoop, and a dial for fine tuning. There is no plug-in or battery power to the antenna to boost the signal.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote