Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Acworth , Georgia
Whip antenna help needed

Folks,

I am in process of renovating '65 Overlander. I have purchased a new car stereo (am/fm/cd) for use in trailer, but need help.

Is the original whip antenna any good? How do I test?

Where can I get connectors to marry old antenna with modern car stereo?

Where should I get power from?

Thanks
PhilMateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Volt Ohm Meter

Might need a little bit more info here but testing a simple whip antenna is pretty simple. I'll assume you have a shielded cable with a plug on the end. You'll need a volt/ohm meter and a jumper wire.
First check to see if the innner and outer contacts are shorted by holding the tester leads on the inner and outer pin and contact on the side of the plug. Anything other than infinity ohms isn't good.The cable is most likely bad. Next check to see if you have good connection between the outer contact and the body. 0 to1 ohms is OK. Now check to see that you have continuity between the center pin and the antenna. This is were the jumper wire comes in handy as the leads are probably too short reach. 0 to 3 ohms is OK. Lastly check to see if there is continuity between the center pin and the body. Any contact is bad.
Common adapter connecters can be found at Radio Shack and Auto parts stores. As far as 12 volts is concerned I have a 12 volt circuit in the cabinet over the front couch.
Hopefully I guessed correctly on you're lead-in wire, if not post some more info.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Acworth , Georgia
Thanks

Thanks...do you know if there is a power line on sameside of trailer to run radio?
PhilMateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Not sure on yours. Mine has the two 12 volt wires coming through the cabinet above the front window on the center right, curbside.
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

...................You can purchase an an antenna from radio shack I believe . The telescoping portion is the "+" or positive part and the shield is the "-" or grounded part . It should work for both Am and FM stations . r66
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote