Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Question Where to put satellite receiver

First of all I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I could not find the exact answer when I searched the topic.

I've got a 2012 27FB International. I see the coax jumper under the dinette table and understand electronically how it all works but I'm stumped as to where to put the actually receiver and how to run the coax to and from the receiver without just having visible cable all over the place.

I guess I can put the receiver on the floor under the table but I'd prefer to have it up above in the A/V cabinet where the DVD player is. I just don't know how to run the cables without tearing up the interior.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

http://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
The least invasive thing you can do is to attach it to the underside of your dinette table top.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Not perfect but another option is to enclose the cables in a plastic wireloom, run that behind dinette seat, up behind drapery to the overhead cabinet. Wireloom would be visible only for a couple inches above the drapery as it enters the bottom of the cabinet....
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider
First of all I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I could not find the exact answer when I searched the topic.

I've got a 2012 27FB International. I see the coax jumper under the dinette table and understand electronically how it all works but I'm stumped as to where to put the actually receiver and how to run the coax to and from the receiver without just having visible cable all over the place.

I guess I can put the receiver on the floor under the table but I'd prefer to have it up above in the A/V cabinet where the DVD player is. I just don't know how to run the cables without tearing up the interior.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
I will install satellite in a few months and am wondering if you found a solution.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Punta Gorda , Florida
We have a 2008 28" Safari and grappling with the same problem. Ths solution I am going to focus on is a 1/4" brushed aluminium plate hung under the overhead cabinet. I will probably use bolts inserted through 1/4" ID PVC (mayby painted)to hide their appearance.
John
Punta Gorda, FL
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil
The least invasive thing you can do is to attach it to the underside of your dinette table top.
I found a white wire basket at Walmart that was a bit larger than the receiver and open on one of the long sides. Think it was where they had their shelf organizers. I mounted it on the bottom rear of the dinette table with the open side forward making sure I could still lower the table to make it into a bed if needed. I then made up a pair of short cables with push on F-Connectors that reach from the back of the receiver to the jumper plate below the dinette and labeled them for in and out and then wrapped with plastic spiral and then tie wrapped the upper section to the rear of the basket. When preparing for a trip, I slide the receiver into the basket plugging in the cables and then secure it on the basket with a bungee. It is out of the way and out of sight but it can still "see" the remote reflecting off the interior. If I ever want to use the park cable, I simply unplug the 2 cables at the plate and insert the jumper.

Remember that the power switch on the batwing needs to be off for cable/satellite to work.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
One has to wonder at the thought process that led to locating the jumper tucked away under the table in the corner. Marvelous!.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I bet most RV designers don't own one themselves.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
I suppose I will mount the receiver under the table. Not sure how I will get the remote to work. Maybe I can train the dog to operate the receiver, as she hangs out down there anyway.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT
... Not sure how I will get the remote to work. ...
Some receivers will work with a UHF remote that will operate the receiver from the other side of the house through walls. Most have an IR remote. While invisible to the eye, it sends a beam of light that the receiver sees. If the eye on the front of the receiver isn't blocked it will likely see the reflections off the interior walls and cabinets. I have the rear dinette and even with the receiver under the table, if I point the remote towards the tv while sitting at the dinette, it gets enough bounce to operate the receiver with no trouble.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I recently purchased a 28ft 2012 FC and have the same delemna on where to put the receiver. Has anyone invested taking the receiver apart to see if it is practicle to just remote the sensor? In that fashion the receiver could be mounted in the storage areas under the dinette. Hiding 30mil wires would be a whole easier then 1/4" cables?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwatkin View Post
I recently purchased a 28ft 2012 FC and have the same delemna on where to put the receiver. Has anyone invested taking the receiver apart to see if it is practicle to just remote the sensor? In that fashion the receiver could be mounted in the storage areas under the dinette. Hiding 30mil wires would be a whole easier then 1/4" cables?
After starting this thread a few months ago I bit the bullet and had a satellite dish installed by the dealer on the roof. It's a folding, mechanized dish called a Travler by Winegard. What it does that the other don't do is self sync with the satellites and works with Direct TV HD.

There's a control box on the top shelf of the closet, a couple of coax cables from the dish and two HDMI cables one going to each TV. I put in a HDMI splitter to take the signal from the back of the receiver and feed to each TV. I also purchased a RF remote from Direct TV.

I'm on a trip now with my home DVR, the entire system works extremely well. Among other things I'm getting my home local stations and best of all able to watch all the SF Giants games and even record them and loose the commercials.

Right now I'm at a wide open RV park with no trees blocking the signal. Last month I did park under some trees. I was able to get good signals and solid HD but the dish had trouble syncing the channel guide. I suspect if I'm really under a thick cover I"m going to be out of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	158719  

http://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I've got a 2008 Classic 25FB. The satellite/cable jumper cable is located under the rear dinette table near the floor. In the cabinet above the dinette is the Sony radio. The TV is located on the refrigerator wall. There is a 12v/booster connector. The TV coax is connected to this wall plate. There is no HDMI cable from the TV area to the Sony radio area.

So how is a satellite receiver connected? I've seen posts describing you disconnect the jumper (which is under the dinette table) and connect a coax from jumper plate to the coax input on the satellite receiver. Most satellite receivers send their signal to the TV via an HDMI cable not coax and I don't see a coax output connectors on satellite receivers now. So how do you get the satellite signal to the TV?

I was looking at the Tailgater antenna that I could connect to the the exterior cable connector.

I guess mounting the receiver on a basket under the dinette table is a good idea but there is no way to route HDMI unless I run a cable under the street side dinette seat then under the couch then up to the TV. That way audio could be routed to the TV also.

What about keeping the jumper connected and mounting the sat receiver by the TV and then run HDMI cable into the TV?

Please indicate what model receiver Dish or Directv you are using and how you connect the video and audio.

Thanks.

Kelvin
Old 09-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I have done what you eluded too, place the receiver near the TV and use an HDMI cable to the TV. Using the trailers coax system degrades the the HD quality of a satellite system. Plus you have to fiddle around connecting disconnecting jumpers and cables. I ran a separate coax cable with an input on the outside of the trailer direct to the TV/receiver. You can sacrifice the phone line input and just drill through to the inside wall to route the coax over by the fridge/TV. This way you can switch between satellite and local antennae with out fussing with jumpers or A/B switches.

I have a tailgater and Dish 211 receiver which I use in home and trailer.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote