Old 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
... I guess mounting the receiver on a basket under the dinette table is a good idea but there is no way to route HDMI unless I run a cable under the street side dinette seat then under the couch then up to the TV. That way audio could be routed to the TV also.
That's exactly what I did as that was the only practical way i could figure out to get HD content to the TV from a satellite receiver in a 2xFB. There is already an audio connection from the TV back to the radio in the locker above the dinette. If you turn the radio on and select the correct source, the TV audio is routed to the house speakers, so the audio in the HDMI goes to the TV, then back to the radio.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
The AS manual says to patch in a satellite receiver at the jumper plate; RF in then RF out on coax to the TVs. The Dish VIP211z that comes with the Tailgater antenna only has RF In. Why can't you just leave the jumper under the dinette table connected and place the satellite receiver by the TV hanging on the fridge wall, connect the coax there from the TV to the satellite receiver, turn off the inline amplifier and connect the sat receiver with a short HDMI cable to the TV?. Does the splitter down stream from the jumper, shown in the AS manual, goof up the satellite receivers signal?

Has anyone tried this?

Kelvin

Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
In my 30 FB Bunkhouse there is already an HDMI switch mounted in one of the overhead consoles along with the Blu-Ray player and radio. I had to remove the front panel surrounding the Blu-Ray player and tucked in underneath the player were 2 co-ax connections labeled Cable and Satellite. I pulled the Satellite connection through the existing feed through in the overhead wall and connected it to my satellite receiver which I mounted in this space. I ran an HDMI cable to the existing switch and went through the normal Tailgater setup screens. Works great.

I know that not everyone has the HDMI switch, but for those of us that do it couldn't be much easier.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
The AS manual says to patch in a satellite receiver at the jumper plate ...
It might make more sense to sketch this out on paper. In the basic configuration, the external cable connector on the trailer where you would normally connect your satellite antenna passes first through the jumper under the dinette then to the amplifier switch mounted next to the TV. The batwing on the roof is also connected to the amplifier switch.

With the switch on (LED lit) the batwing's amplifier is turned on and the TV is connected to the batwing. With the switch off, the TV is connected to the external connector. This is how you would connect to a park's CATV system. The jumper provides a means for connecting the external connector to the Sat In port on the back of your satellite receiver. On older pre-HD satellite receivers, there was an Antenna Out port on the receiver that passed the signal to the TV antenna port and the TV and Receiver had to be set to either channel 3 or 4.

You have the same DISH receiver I have. It was purpose built for HD programming that requires a digital connection (HDMI) to the TV so there is no Antenna Out port.

In a nutshell, you need a way to connect the satellite coax from the antenna to the Sat In port on the receiver and then run a HDMI or 5-cable component cable bundle from the receiver to the TV. One solution is to connect the receiver to the correct connector on the jumper plate and then conceal the HDMI cable as best you can from the receiver to the TV. Another possibility would be to insert a splitter behind the amplifier switch into the coax coming from the jumper. The output of the splitter would then feed the Sat In port on the receiver and you could figure out a way to mount the receiver below the TV. A caution here, the splitter by its design may attenuate the signal coming from the antenna and depending on design may block the the DC component that powers the LNB. A local DISH agent may be able to assist you with a splitter that will work. If you never plan to use a park's CATV system, you could dispense with the splitter and simply disconnect the coax (the one coming from the jumper plate) from the amplifier switch and connect it with a jumper and barrel connector to the receiver.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2013 25FB has the external access coax cable terminate by the DVD player in the rear overhead cabinet by the door. So we hooked the external coax to the back of the Dish receiver and velcroed the receiver to the DVD player and installed a 2 x 4 HDMI switch to transfer the HDMI signals from the DVD player or the Dish box to the rear television or front television. With the switch either signal source can be on either television as both sources will only support one telvision at a time.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
A caution here, the splitter by its design may attenuate the signal coming from the antenna and depending on design may block the the DC component that powers the LNB.

If the splitter behind the switch plate is controlled by the on off switch, On for antenna and off for cable I don't see why it would interfere with the power requirements of the Tailgater when its set to off.

I would like to see someone with a Tailgater and VIP211Z test that connection.

If that fails then it would be just as easy to lay coax next to a HDMI cable from the dinette area to the TV area by the fridge.

Rather that go the the trouble of mounting the receiver under the table ( the Classic table is so heavy it requires a double leg so space underneath it may be at a premium), I'd rather mount the receiver by the TV. Then the issue comes to having a shelf above the TV. Below makes it too easy to bump into.

If its more trouble than its worth we'll read instead and rent an occasional DVD.
TV is getting kinda sucky lately. Even though we have FIOS at home most of the shows we watch are on the major networks still.

Kelvin
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Langley , Washington
switz, do you have any photos of how you got the receiver into that cabinet? On our 2013 FC Bunk, there is a wood panel with just enough space for the Blue ray player. Did you remove that or cut a larger hole?

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Where to put satellite receiver....

.....In the trash, we don't need no stink'n saddelight.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In the 25FB, I put super velcro above the DVD player and stuck the Dish box to that and then stuck the HDMI switch to,the top of the Dish Box. I never took any photos of that setup.

I plan to rework the cabinet in the new Classic when it gets here to make an appropriate installation.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #24

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Troy , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffergeek View Post
switz, do you have any photos of how you got the receiver into that cabinet? On our 2013 FC Bunk, there is a wood panel with just enough space for the Blue ray player. Did you remove that or cut a larger hole?

Thanks.
How do you remove that panel that surrounds the blue ray player?