Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Nottingham , New Hampshire
Where do the TV antenna wires go?

I have a 1972 Tradewind LY with the original TV antenna on the roof. Can anyone tell me where the leads from the antenna run to? There are two likely culprits in the galley cabinet above the fridge, but I think the service manual shows those as a DC outlet. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
jeffdales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The vintage is close -- this (3 posts) is from a '74 Argosy. It was above the sink between the stove & window. The black wire was added by a PO. The angled plastic piece did have an antenna receptacle that looked similar to a 12v socket. Try a meter on it? Any help?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yeah, thats a combination dc outlet/tv antenna jack. The plug for that is more or less obsolete...a 2 pin connector, that I couldn't find when I was looking for one.
The wire goes from the antenna, along the center of the ceiling panel, then takes a sharp left and pops out in the cabinet above the fridge. since it takes a sharp turn and probably goes through a rib, and is tied to other stuff, there isn't any way to fish a new piece of coax in there, if thats what you were thinking. the ceiling panel has to come down in order to run coax to a new antenna. (and I'd remove the skyliner, if you have one there; its more than likely leaking. dissimilar metal corrosion is inevitable w/ that pot-metal base against the alluminum skin of the trailer...).
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Jeff,

In a photo borrowed from Vintage Airstream - you can see it inside the cabinet, at the left edge of the pic, as you suspected. They are a combination 12 volt outlet and antenna wire box - which you can still buy.

Do you still have your original Skyliner antenna...?

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
You may also have a second piece of coax that pulls from behind that contraption on the wall over to where ever the FM radio was originally mounted to provide antenna for that radio. As Gary said, parts are available for most of the antenna setup. I rebuilt mine and it works well.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the replies. The PO removed the receptical and just has two horseshoe connectors. We've got the electrical system apart at the moment, but when I've got it back together I'll put a meter on them to be sure.

I'm not sure on the antenna. We've had the trailer for six months, but I haven't been up on the roof to look. I'll try to get a peek at it tomorrow and let you know.

I just thought of one more question.... Is there any trick to raising the antenna? When I try to turn the crank, it won't budge.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
You may also have a second piece of coax that pulls from behind that contraption on the wall over to where ever the FM radio was originally mounted to provide antenna for that radio. As Gary said, parts are available for most of the antenna setup. I rebuilt mine and it works well.

Jim
Did the original tv antenna also serve as the am/fm antenna? I found a coax wire behind where my original 8-track am/fm radio was but don't see where it would lead to a radio antenna.

Steve
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver
Did the original tv antenna also serve as the am/fm antenna? I found a coax wire behind where my original 8-track am/fm radio was but don't see where it would lead to a radio antenna.

Steve
It did on my '73. There was no seperate FM Radio antenna. FM radio broadcasts in the same part of the spectrum as TV (VHF), so they simply made an extra connection to the coax and ran that to the back of the radio. The cable ran from the radio back up behind the walls over to the connector pictured in the photos. So, you may see a couple of cables when you start looking at things.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

I love how they tinkered with these things over the years (might make an interesting book). My 72 has a separate radio antenna on the left front and feeds into the radio from there.