Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
What is possible with this outlet? (photos)

Hi, I'm plugging (pun!) away at my Trade Wind, making progress, v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y

Currently I have no TV, no antenna.

I hope to have TV soon (Santa) using El Gato EyeTV (HD converter) with my MacBook, connected to some kind of HD/digital antenna outside, maybe a portable something I can set up and take down as needed. I'd like to have broadcast available (PBS, local channels, news, weather), but not interested in satellite.

I have converted a basic Honda Civic stereo, added iPod connection, speakers, getting some good tunes going.

Anyway -- I took this outlet apart to see what's in there. Can anyone explain what does what? Why is one of the coaxial connectors terminated? I presume it would have led to the "bedroom" (this was a center double model, with twin gauchos in the front dinette area, back bath).

I put in a queen bed from a later model Excella, plan to move the dinette to the center, have a street-side-to-rear bath and curb-side-to-rear convertible "sleeping spaces" for one to three kids, that converts to additional space for seating/desk work/storage when it's just us adults traveling. More photos of all of that much later...

Here's the outlet, front and insides, labels inside/back side of the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v antenna outlet front.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	115866   Click image for larger version

Name:	12v Antenna inside cover.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	115867  

Click image for larger version

Name:	12v Antenna inside 1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	115868   Click image for larger version

Name:	12v Antenna outlet inside terminator.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	115869  

1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne View Post
Hi, I'm plugging (pun!) away at my Trade Wind, making progress, v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y

Currently I have no TV, no antenna.

I hope to have TV soon (Santa) using El Gato EyeTV (HD converter) with my MacBook, connected to some kind of HD/digital antenna outside, maybe a portable something I can set up and take down as needed. I'd like to have broadcast available (PBS, local channels, news, weather), but not interested in satellite.

I have converted a basic Honda Civic stereo, added iPod connection, speakers, getting some good tunes going.

Anyway -- I took this outlet apart to see what's in there. Can anyone explain what does what? Why is one of the coaxial connectors terminated? I presume it would have led to the "bedroom" (this was a center double model, with twin gauchos in the front dinette area, back bath).

I put in a queen bed from a later model Excella, plan to move the dinette to the center, have a street-side-to-rear bath and curb-side-to-rear convertible "sleeping spaces" for one to three kids, that converts to additional space for seating/desk work/storage when it's just us adults traveling. More photos of all of that much later...

Here's the outlet, front and insides, labels inside/back side of the cover.
Anne.

That's a 12 volt outlet for a 12 volt TV.

It's also an amplifier for the TV signal.

When you flip that black switch, the small red light will come on telling you that the amplifier is functioning, assuming it's working properly.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
This is a TV amplifier and splitter built into one box. It is very old.

You are correct, the bedroom connector is terminated. That is a good idea for unused connectors, but you don't see it done much anymore. The switch turns the preamplifier on and off and the red light tells you whether or not the preamp is on.

Modern devices have another input labeled cable and the switch also switches back and forth between cable and antenna, turning the amplifier on when antenna is selected. Most new RV installations use the bat wing external antenna and the preamplifier is usually mounted in the antenna and just the switching and splitting circuits are mounted the the board.

Either type of box requires a 12 volt connection.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Assuming this were bad (blows out 12v fused appliances) what would be the more contemporary replacement?

Tx, Bill
Old 11-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Assuming this were bad (blows out 12v fused appliances) what would be the more contemporary replacement?

Tx, Bill
Winegard RA 7296 (and probably other manufacturers)

See attachment page 4

It states in attachment to use with 2 Winegard non amplified antennas only, but I see no reason why it would not work on any non amplified antenna. However, if it were me, I would ask the Winegard or the dealer before purchasing.

Regards,

Ken
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WC-750 09 with Wingman.pdf (1.20 MB, 103 views)
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote