Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

What BRAND LCD?

Last year, after purchasing my 25' Safari, I bought a 14" Toshiba t.v. set & a separate DVD player (which I have never taken out of the box & connected to the t.v. set!). I am definitely electronically challenged! Anyway, luckily for me, I bought the Purchase Protection Plan from Sears when I bought my t.v.-- because the cable connector recently broke off and I was able to return the t.v. for a new one. While there, I asked if instead of exchanging for another set like the one I had, I could pay the difference and buy an LCD set. Answer: Yes. But ....... I'm sure that Sears cannot/will not INSTALL the LCD in my Safari. I contacted Camping World today & asked if they would install a t.v. purchased from Sears. Answer: No! The only choice that they have to purchase is a COBY LCD t.v. Any opinions on Coby? Thanks much! Or somewhere other than Camping World that may have other choices???
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy H
The only choice that they have to purchase is a COBY LCD t.v. Any opinions on Coby? Thanks much! Or somewhere other than Camping World that may have other choices???
Sandy,

Why not the Airstream dealer's service center? Or, a local car stereo place, they often specialize in mobile video as well.
We have a member of the forum that does just that, but his handle escapes my mind right now...I will pm you if I remember.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
For what it's worth, Viewsonic makes a gadget (VB50hrtv) that converts any type of computer monitor into a high resolution television. It has RF (cable), composite (RCA), and s-video inputs, so you can hook up multiple devices, and it comes with a remote control. It costs about $100. It hooks in-line so you can still use it as a computer monitor, yet works independently of the computer. It might be a good thing for those who are trying to conserve space.

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/tve...sors/vb50hrtv/
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Sandy,

Your A/S Dealer should be able to install an LCD mount in the Safari for you. My dealer installed the same unit that the factory uses. I bought a 15" Sharp Aquos and installed it on the mount myself. Not quite as nice as the factory install but about $1500 cheaper.

I also installed a 17" widescreen Toshiba with a built in DVD player in the bedroom. I just bought a simple lcd mount for it. It doesn't articulate left/right. It has minor up/down adjustment but works great when wanting to watch a movie in bed.

The installation is really very easy. If you want to tie into the sound system, then it can be more of a challenge. We only use the built in speakers of the TV's.

Good luck,

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
For what it's worth, Viewsonic makes a gadget (VB50hrtv) that converts any type of computer monitor into a high resolution television. It has RF (cable), composite (RCA), and s-video inputs, so you can hook up multiple devices, and it comes with a remote control. It costs about $100. It hooks in-line so you can still use it as a computer monitor, yet works independently of the computer. It might be a good thing for those who are trying to conserve space.
This device works very well. And if anyone wants one, I have one I'll sell very reasonably. I bought it for motorhome duty a year or so ago, but now I've obsoleted it. Email me if interested: mcneon@bellsouth.net.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy H
Or somewhere other than Camping World that may have other choices???
Sandy - Where is Kingwood, TX? If it's close to Austin I'd be willing to install it for you and even make some recommendations on what type of TV you should purchase and where you should purchase it from. Costco here in Austin currently has some excellent prices on a wide range of LCD TV's.

Check out the below link to the TV install I did in my Airstream. It's post #10 on the thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...4&page=2&pp=20

I purchased the factory mounting plate and purchased the same telescoping arm that they use off of ebay for far less than Airstream charges for it.

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

i just bought a 15 incher for $299 on sale at kame apart. it is a memorex with a remote,speakers and i think it may even be able to run on 12 volts,great picture also
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I was looking at this Maganavox 15" LCD on Amazon for $284 (which is really a rebranded Philips unit), but I saw that it only accepts 120V plug in. There is not power brick, so no hope of converting to 12V. If this doesn't bother you, I would probably jump on it!

As for the Coby brand, I would stay away from the off brand unless you have the chance to play with it. LCS TV's are finicky beasts. Some will provide better display results with weak broadcast signals than others, other have better video processors (called scalers). If you ever plan on plugging a laptop into one, you want to make sure that it supports a resolution of at least 1024x768. Many of the cheaper panels only support 640x480.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I'd avoid the Coby..

Coby is a really cheap Chinese brand (may be redundant..) and I would not bother buying one..

We put Sharp Aquos 15" model LCD into our trailer, and decided not to bother with permanent mount. All LCD's (modestly sized..) have 4 hole "Vesa" mounting system on back, and computer stores sell monitor mounts that are simpler and less expensive than TV mounts... Mounting is really not that difficult.. We run Laptop/DVD Drive as DVD player with S-Video cable into TV. No HD yet...

We also decided that permanent mount on wall would add vibratin and stresses we didn't want, so we simply used industrial strength picture hook on wall by refrigerator, and then we store TV unit wrapped in foam in side panel by couch.. Power supply/cords are mounted semi-permanently, and time to set up or take down is a few minutes or so on each trip..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

We installed two Toshibas with the built-in DVD players... a 15" in the bedroom and a 17" in the salon... we love them. I used arms to install them on the a/s shelf systems and reinforced the shelf systems. Working great.

P.S. My mother, the Quilting Queen of northeast Wisconsin, made two quilted covers for the TVs which stabilize them during travel and which, of course, match the bed quilt.

Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Looks like the 15" might be the Toshiba SD-P5000. How well does it fold up for travel storage if you didn't want to wall mount it?
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Very well... either one would do that well. Especially if you have arm rest storage as has been previously mentioned.

I particularly wanted the custom look and convenience of the wall mounting. And in the bedroom if it's not wall mounted we'd have to put it away at night before sleeping and after our evening "Sex and the City" so it wouldn't get knocked off, and onto the dog, during the night!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I kind of like the way Airstream installed the 15" Sharp Aquos in my Bambi. They mounted it to the racks above the reefer so it extends out and can face front or back. To secure it for travelling, they have a heavy velcro strap that holds it firmly against the wall. Other than installing a 17", there's not much I would have done differently. One thing I'm not too crazy about is how they wired the subwoofer so it's constantly on. I plan to put in a switch so it won't drain the batteries.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:51 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

[QUOTE=SilverRanger]I kind of like the way Airstream installed the 15" Sharp Aquos in my Bambi. They mounted it to the racks above the reefer so it extends out and can face front or back. To secure it for travelling, they have a heavy velcro strap that holds it firmly against the wall. QUOTE]

I took Airstream's cue and bought velcro straps... they were completely inadequate to the job, I found. That's why the soft, quilted covers, which are protecting the TVs much better some 4000 miles later...
Old 08-17-2005, 09:47 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
[QUOTE=PWRSTRK]I took Airstream's cue and bought velcro straps... they were completely inadequate to the job, I found.QUOTE]

Did you buy the wall mount and velcro straps from Airstream? I bought that that set-up from Airstream and it is one of the few things that did not move when I was rear ended by an 18 wheeler. Not to mention they were holding a 20" LCD. Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

the memorex for $299 at k mart seems to have a power brick, so i would say it will work on 12v also? i will get the meter out in the morning.
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Sandy, the installation of the LCD is not as hard as you might think. Most wall mounts are 4 screws total. Finding a rib to drill into is not that hard.

I'm not familiar with Coby. My Sceptre 20" LCD monitor/TV has been great. I've driven over 40,000 miles with it hanging on the wall of my MH and have had no trouble at all with it. I bought it as an open box return from 1st Wind of Columbia SC.

I bought a wall mount from an eBay seller. The attachment of the mount side to the LCD is an industry mandated (VISA) mount pattern with four small machine bolts. Once you have the mount on the LCD you marry two sides (wall mount ~ LCD mount) while someone holds it up for you.

Now if you're planning to mount it in a cabinet it gets a little more tricky but I'm sure with a little planning this is a DIY job for sure.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
PWRSTRK
"I took Airstream's cue and bought velcro straps... they were completely inadequate to the job, I found. That's why the soft, quilted covers, which are protecting the TVs much better some 4000 miles later..."

The straps that Airstream installed are heavy duty velcro approx. 2" wide, and are integrated into the mount. The whole arrangement is solid as a rock. There are some pictures in my gallery.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:27 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Looking for BarkingSpider (aka Joe from Austin)

I sent you a message about the LCD. I keep my Safari in New Braunfels, which, as you know, is just a "hop, skip & jump" away from Austin! Please read your message & reply. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all

I appreciate all the feedback that I've received re: LCD t.v.'s. I haven't made a decision yet (had a lot going on), so I've still got the option of keeping the 14" Toshiba w/built-in DVD that Sears exchanged the damaged t.v. for.