Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
What about a car surround-sound audio/TV system?

I've been planning out a new audio/tv system and was wondering if anyone has done this...

I was considering getting a car audio head unit that has 5.1 digital sound so I could run the stereo and TV audio through it and get true surround sound.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Hey Kyle

I purchased a doube-din touch screen car stereo head unit that also has DVD video capabilities. My TV will be connected to the head unit. DVD's will played through the head unit and will transmit the video to the TV and the sound will be broadcast through the speakers connected to the head unit (including sub woofer). The head unit is not surround sound...in fact I didn't know they made surround sound head units? The only problem with this set up is that car style head units use composite video rather than HDMI or the like HD.

ON another note I checked out your blog the other night...GREAT WORK. You are about 6-9 months ahead of me. Question for you, how did you cut the holes for your puck lights? I love the lights you bought but haven't been able to find them on eBay.

Good luck!
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I have yet to see an in-car sound system with 5.1 Dolby surround. Can you point one out to me in a link?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
The A/V Upgrade Package on our 2008 included a Sony mex-DV2000, and that gives us 5.1 surround sound.

I guess they might not make that unit anymore, but here's a link:
Amazon.com: Sony MEXDV2000 DVD/SACD/CD Receiver: Electronics

It works well enough, but given the way the speakers were arranged in our coach, a lot of the benefits of surround sound are lost. If I could start from scratch, I'd really spend some time figuring out where to place the speakers.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Post Falls , Idaho
I've been trying to make a decision on this same thing for my '78 Argosy motorhome. It seems there are pros and cons to whatever system you go with. In trying to keep it simple and keep the cost down I decided to go with a 120 V Home Theater in a box. I bought a Panosonic SC-BTT350P Blu Ray with 5.1 audio on ebay for $240. The speakers are very compact which will allow for more placement options and it has the HDMI connection for HD quality video. I'm expecting the sound won't be audiophile quality but should be fine in the relatively small space. I also plan to upgrade my in dash AM FM cassette to a nice AM-FM CD unit for better audio while traveling. Will post pictures when I get it installed.
steveturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Crutchfield has a JVC unit that with DVD player that has 5.1 Dolby Digital surround. That's what I was looking at that got me thinking about doing it. Otherwise, you buy a home theater setup? I'm concerned about the vibration on a home receiver and DVD player.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado View Post
Hey Kyle

ON another note I checked out your blog the other night...GREAT WORK. You are about 6-9 months ahead of me. Question for you, how did you cut the holes for your puck lights? I love the lights you bought but haven't been able to find them on eBay.

Good luck!
Thanks! Look up the seller "marinediscounts" on eBay. They have them (I just checked. I used a 3" core drill bit. It worked great, but you have to be careful that you only cut through the aluminum skin. There could be wires behind it, and that drill bit can easily nick them.