Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Video back up camera

I want to install a back up camera in the rear of may stream to use backing but also when traveling.

The camera I have is a Peak. The manufacturer does not recommend it be left on but used intermitantly. I want to rig a switch in my truck to turn the camera on and off.

The camera is usually used in the same vehicle as the monitor and rigged to the back up lights. The camera is connected to a transmitter which sends a wireless signal to the monitor which will be on my truck dash. I have a factory extension cord so I can have the tranmitter in the front of the trailer and the camera in the rear. The manufacturer says this arrangement should work. The On/off switch I am proposing would send 12v power to the transmitter.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Does your stream currently have back-up lights? If not, then you could use the back-up/aux pin in the 7-way connector as your 12 volt switched line. If you do have back-up lights already, then an option would be to go to a 9-way connector between the trailer and the tv.
Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
I'm doing something similar. I have a TRENDnet SecurView wireless internet surveillance camera, model TV-IP110W, mounted to the inside ledge of the rear window with Velcro. It is plugged in to the inverter circuit below the dinette. Whenever the inverter is switched on, the camera comes on. I have a Linksys wireless router on the sofa midway along the trailer. It, too, is plugged into the inverter circuit and comes on whenever the inverter is switched on. The router is set up as a local net with security on. I have my iPod Touch in the cab of the TV plugged in to a charger and on all the time. It is connected via the Linksys wifi to the camera and displays a continuous picture outside the rear of the trailer. It is full-color and real-time. The image is a bit jerky, but is effective for backing up and for monitoring traffic behind me.

The last thing I do when we leave a campsite is to turn on the inverter, which then automatically activates the camera and router. Presto! Rear-view camera and no wiring between trailer and TV.
Leesburg, VA
ChrisRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Chris- I like your idea. Do you know if there is a 12v camera and router to avoid using the inverter?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Check out my posts on cameras. One for the hitch and one in the back window of the AIRSTREAM.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
The Linksys actually has its own transformer delivering 5V DC. Just need a converter from 12V to 5V. The Linksys transformer delivers 12V DC @ 500mA. That should be doable from the battery circuit, too.

Great idea - eliminate the inverter completely. I'll have to test that out.
Leesburg, VA
ChrisRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
My new 2011 F350 will be here soon and it has a back-up camera built in to the rear view mirror. The camera lens is mounted in the rear tailgate which is removable. Than means to me, that there is a connector between the tailgate and the chassis wiring harness. Has anyone investigated buying another lens and extension cable that would plug in to the existing harness? That way I could mount the lens on the AS and connect to the chassis harness.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote