Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Mount Dora , stevenwilliams
Using Playon for TV/Movies

We use PlayOn to record movies and TV shows for later playback in the AS. I was wondering if other people use this service. It costs $2.50 per month (or $70 lifetime) and you can record anything you have access to, like HBO, Netflix, Amazon, Xfinity, PBS, all the networks. We recorded a bunch of movies and TV shows that we never got around to watching (like every episode of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones), put them of a small external hard drive, and then play them back on the TV using the USB input on our Roku. You'll need the free Media Player app for Roku, but that's it. We can use headphones in the Roku remote in case one person is sleeping. Find it at Playon.tv
sburrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome, never heard of it. do you work for the company?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
No, but I can see how it would appear that way. It seems to solve my problems of not being able to stream content while on the road.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Some of us use media players, rip DVDs or Blue Ray to an external drive. I create .iso images of DVDs, which is like a virtual DVD. The media player plays the image and it runs just like putting a DVD in a drive. You can FF, RW, pause, select a chapter, see the special features etc., just like having the DVD with you. I have 2 3TB drives with hundreds of movies and series on them. The Roku 3 I have won't play an .iso image, few will. I use a Brite-View player, plays every format I've run across so far.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
I thought Playon was a great idea. Personally I never got it to work right or consistantly. Not sure if it was my computer or what. Their line was always we no one else has ever had this issue. It locked up my PC many many times. They never were much help and I was beyond their money back period so I kept trying, both they and I gave up when their only plan was for me to sent them huge, huge files of data for them to sort through and figure out what was up. To their credit they finally gave in and refunded me. I think for hours of my time I managed to download two hours of a tv show successfully. It's a good idea and mine was probably an isolated case.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
They had some major upgrades this summer that make it a lot easier. It still takes 2 hours to download a 2-hour movie, but I just let it run for days until everything was copied.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Does Playon have a deal with Netflix and Amazon? They are pretty protective about their content. I can't see them wanting someone to stream their content and convert to a file for watching later.

Kelvin
Old 11-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
You have to login to your Netflix, Amazon, etc. accounts with your user name and password within PlayOn, and I found this about the legal aspects:

PlayOn has long maintained that users are just exercising the same rights they had with VCRs. The fact that PlayOn wasn’t sued into oblivion after launching its first recording features four years ago seems to bear out that claim.
“The same statutes that protect the DVR and the VCR before it protect us”
Old 12-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I use Macs and PlayOn is only PC.

Netflix announced downloadable content this week.

You still need a good internet connection to record this content. Must be realtime recording like a VCR/DVR vs just downloading a file. To watch a movie you have to wait 2 hours vs several minutes to download.

Kelvin
Old 12-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
All 3 services I subscribe to (DIRECTV, Amazon, Netfllix) allow you to download and watch offline. No need for another service on my side.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:39 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Play on does allow downloading to a pc and from there put it on a large thumbdrive or harddrive so you could stock up. The Netflix version just allows downloading to a device like a phone or tablet so you need a fairly large one.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote