Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Exclamation Using HD DVR in 2012 Flying Cloud

We have a DirecTV HD DVR. We want to connect into the Surround Sound. However, the DVR requires two input connections from the dish and the output uses RCA, component or HDMI cables. The connections in the trailer are only 75 ohm coax.

Any thoughts on how to tie into the surround sound? If anyone has experience with this or done it, we would appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Deb Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Could you please post close-up photos of the input and output connections on your DVR, surround sound receiver/amplifier and television? Alternately, please post model numbers of this equipment, so we can check the owners manuals on the Internet. -- Thanks.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Unless you have modified your trailer, you are trying to do something that does not exist. Current production Airstream trailers do not have surround sound from the factory, so you can't connect a DVR to something that isn't there.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Not sure I agree with Overlander63. I have a newly acquired 2012 Serenity and my factory installed system has an HDMI cable running from the Samsung DVD player to the TV's. At first glance it would seem you could put an HDMI box in there that would allow either the DVD player signal or the DirecTV output to go to the TV's.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Is it possible the question intended is how to tie into the stereo system? Something I also wondered about recently, given there two nice stereo speakers above our bed.
terry.morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Not sure I agree with Overlander63. I have a newly acquired 2012 Serenity and my factory installed system has an HDMI cable running from the Samsung DVD player to the TV's. At first glance it would seem you could put an HDMI box in there that would allow either the DVD player signal or the DirecTV output to go to the TV's.

Larry
You can do that, but the trailer is not equipped with surround sound in any manner. It only has a 2 channel stereo. Big difference from 5 channel surround sound.
Connecting to surround sound was the original question.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Setting the Sony stereo to CD2 might be what the poster wants to do...I think that plays TV through stereo speakers. Or at least the blueray player.
terry.morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.morrow View Post
Is it possible the question intended is how to tie into the stereo system? Something I also wondered about recently, given there two nice stereo speakers above our bed.
If you want to do that, run an HDMI cable from the DVR to the second HDMiI input on the tv, then turn on the stereo and set it to "input 1". You would have to scroll through the source list on the stereo, from radio to ipod to aux input.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
The main purpose of using the HD DVR is to have the signal so that we can record programs and replay using the Living Room TV only with the stereo sound. It is easier to hear than the sound coming from the TV.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post

Larry
Guess it is stereo speakers and no surround sound. Sounds pretty good though. We want to use the HD DVD so we can record programs,mainly and have the sound come through those speakers and not out of the TV. Looks like it is not possible. Any suggestions, anyone.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Deb,
I still think my suggestion would work. It is no different than using the DVD player, just substituting the HD DVR. It will play through the overhead speakers on CD2.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
I have been unable to get to CD2. Have had some good instructions from this forum, but it just doesn't work. Is there a fool-proof way to do that for us fumblin' fools?
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Trimble View Post
Guess it is stereo speakers and no surround sound. Sounds pretty good though. We want to use the HD DVD so we can record programs,mainly and have the sound come through those speakers and not out of the TV. Looks like it is not possible. Any suggestions, anyone.
Deb, I used component (5 cable bundle) but HDMI would have worked also, from output of sat receiver to input on TV. Use the TV menu to select the source so that you see your sat or recorded program then select AUX on the Sony so that the audio from the TV comes out the stereo speakers and then turn down the volume on the TV. Yes, it sounds much better than the sound from the small TV speakers and yes, it is stereo not surround.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Re: Post #12 above -- Nevermind! I channeled my inner 10 year old and pushed every button available. Finally got it to work. The manual has nothing about it. I had been told to push the + button, but that didn't work. Turns out there's a return button that does the trick to move between CD1, CD2, etc.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Of all the info that was provided in my 2012, the least satisfactory was how to use the features of the "entertainment" system. Basically, there was a one page printed document that almost covered the bare essentials. Oh, and whoever installed two Samsung TV sets without setting up differentiated remote controls.... was really fun to turn on the TV in the BR and have the TV by the dinette turn on also...and change channels, and increase volume, etc. But, maybe this was just me.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
It's not just you. Same thing happens with tvs in bedroom and main room in our FC.
It was quite the surprise when we first tried to watch tv.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB
Of all the info that was provided in my 2012, the least satisfactory was how to use the features of the "entertainment" system. Basically, there was a one page printed document that almost covered the bare essentials. Oh, and whoever installed two Samsung TV sets without setting up differentiated remote controls.... was really fun to turn on the TV in the BR and have the TV by the dinette turn on also...and change channels, and increase volume, etc. But, maybe this was just me.
:-)

It's definitely not just you!

I'm still figuring it out and since I don't use it every day (that's the WORST part of this :-) ) I have to keep learning it every time. That briefcase full of docs does nothing for the stereo...

Maybe 27' in an aluminum tube is too small a space to expect infrared signals to go only where planned but it is a low-grade annoyance to me when the bedroom TV reacts to my remote in "the great room". :-)

I know - first world problem.....I'm still happy as a pig in poop!! :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Oh, and whoever installed two Samsung TV sets without setting up differentiated remote controls.... was really fun to turn on the TV in the BR and have the TV by the dinette turn on also...and change channels, and increase volume, etc. But, maybe this was just me.
Every single Airstream with only one tv, and a spot for a second, I tell the people to get another brand that is not compatible with the remote for the tv and blu ray player.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Unless you have modified your trailer, you are trying to do something that does not exist. Current production Airstream trailers do not have surround sound from the factory, so you can't connect a DVR to something that isn't there.
Maybe not 5.1 surround, but at least 2.1 surround. 4 channel stereo with a subwoofer under the couch, coaxial speakers in the front, coaxial speakers in the rear. While not 5.1 surround sound it still sounds great. It sounds much better than listening through the TV speakers. There is the Blu-ray player with HDMI out to 2 TV's with a splitter box in the locker above the couch. Seems you could hook up your DVR receiver there.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote