Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #401
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Thumbs down Rearview camera in place of tow mirrors?

Short hijack of this thread...
I'm buying a new TV and found one with everything I want/need EXCEPT for the large, extendible tow mirrors. I'm going to have the Furrion Observation system installed on my trailer. I see from Moosetag and Oxen that they are using their systems in place of the rear view mirrors. Is that a consensus of folks who have installed the rear view camera systems? Can you travel safely with one and just standard truck side view mirrors?
Al
SailorSam205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #402
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I'm not a pretend lawyer, so I can't really tell you what state and federal laws require. Personally, though, we'd go for a "belt & suspenders" approach to tow mirrors and backup cameras (e.g. both).

That said, I like the optional side view cameras I saw on the Furrion website. It's not clear how they tie into the viewing system, but I'd love to stick a couple of those on Rocinante to help improve the viewing angle in addition to our existing (always active) rear view camera. It the solution is a good one, we'd even be willing to replace our Voyager with the Furrion just to get those side view cameras.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #403
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
Short hijack of this thread...
I'm buying a new TV and found one with everything I want/need EXCEPT for the large, extendible tow mirrors. I'm going to have the Furrion Observation system installed on my trailer. I see from Moosetag and Oxen that they are using their systems in place of the rear view mirrors. Is that a consensus of folks who have installed the rear view camera systems? Can you travel safely with one and just standard truck side view mirrors?
Al

I use a Voyager rear view camera system in addition to our standard Tundra pickup side mirrors while towing our 25' Airstream and have always felt safe. I really like being able to see what's directly behind the Airstream, right up to the bumper, at all times. I do carry (in storage inside the Airstream) two clip-on mirrors that attach to the Tundra's side view mirrors in case I am ever pulled over for violating a state's law that I'm unaware of (since I don't look at each state's law in advance of a trip ) or the camera or receiver breaks. I feel safer, and way more relaxed. driving with the rear view camera than without, this is for sure!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #404
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have tow mirrors on my Tundra.
I extend them fully when towing the Airstream.
I have a backup camera on the truck for coupling the trailer and backing the truck in general.
I have a backup camera on the trailer I use as a restive and to back into a campground site.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #405
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have the regular mirrors on my Durango. Using my rearview camera I do not have any blindspots.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #406
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Anybody else try this?

Not to pretend that I've got this all figured out, but Esicam got me thinking. That's sometimes a good thing. I was seriously considering the system, which I first read about a few pages back. For the monitor, it occurred to me that I could use one of my old android phones (a Droid Incredible -- 5 years old -- that I did not trade in when we got new phones last year), which would leave my current phone free for navigation and whatnot.

Esicam acts as its own WiFi router and they point you to an app for your phone, so connecting the Droid phone to the camera feed sounded like it would be easy. The challenges that I needed to solve were (1) where to mount the camera and how to provide power (would need >7 hours / day on the big trip in two weeks), and (2) where to mount the old phone in the truck.

As I was thinking about those problems, I started wondering if somehow I could use the other Droid Incredible that we didn't trade in to act as the camera. One old phone as the camera, the other as the monitor? It turns out that there are apps that can take care of that, no problem. For Android, IP Webcam and tinyCam Monitor seem to work together very well. In fact, the Monitor app can handle multiple cameras at the same time, so I have the option of using both old phones as cameras if I want to use a tablet to view in the truck.

Neither old phone has cell service and I would not want to burn data even if they did, so getting them talking to each other would be something I'd have to figure out. But I've got an old leftover router, and just ordered a cig lighter adapter so I can plug it into a DC outlet in the trailer to keep it powered up on the road.

I'll need to figure out how best to mount the phone inside the rear window of the trailer. Might start with tape and paper shims before looking at fancier mounts.

Fingers crossed that I can figure all of this out and have a functioning rear camera (or two) for less than $20. Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated!
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #407
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Updates on Wireless back-up cameras?

There have been a few mobile based options that people have put together and used successfully. It probably depends on how you wish to use it. For backing up at a campsite, mobile based options will like work fine. However, I use mine mostly to get a constant view of the people behind me while driving down the road. People tend to do stupid things behind trailers and RV's and I want all the information I can to make the proper decision. In this instance, I could be on the road for 4-5 hours straight and i would be worried about heat and constant reliability with a mobile based solution. The Voyager wireless camera has NEVER dropped a frame while I've used it.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #408
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I'm not a pretend lawyer, so I can't really tell you what state and federal laws require. Personally, though, we'd go for a "belt & suspenders" approach to tow mirrors and backup cameras (e.g. both).

That said, I like the optional side view cameras I saw on the Furrion website. It's not clear how they tie into the viewing system, but I'd love to stick a couple of those on Rocinante to help improve the viewing angle in addition to our existing (always active) rear view camera. It the solution is a good one, we'd even be willing to replace our Voyager with the Furrion just to get those side view cameras.
The Voyger WVOS541 can pair up to four wireless cameras. I believe the older Voyagers pair one wireless and has hardwire inputs for two additional cameras.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:52 AM   #409
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I just installed my Garmin RV 760 BC 20 rear view camera. I haven't fully tested it yet. I had signal problems, but found that my GPS was too far from my transmitter. I backed my truck up to about one foot from my trailer and it seems like it will work now. My transmitter is mounted in my tail light housing. I don't want to run wires all the way to the front of my trailer or I might as well just hard wire a camera. I made a bracket to hold my camera to my License plate. I have some exposed wire that I don't like, but will live with it for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000923.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	263764   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000921.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	263765  

Name:	P1000926.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	263766   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000924.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	263767  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #410
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Wired Camera Thought

Hi

I just ordered the Costco wired system, after some lengthy deliberation. I've looked at all these posts, and I really don't want to poke a hole in my trailer.

Since the Bambi's A/C unit is very close to the rear of the trailer, I'm thinking about fabricating an aluminum rod mount and cantilevering off the A/C unit somewhere. The camera would be above the center marker light.

Then a wire across the top and down the front.

any thoughts on this idea?
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #411
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I would do a license plate mount and run the wire under the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #412
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Can't do a license plate mount because we have a receiver hitch for a lightweight bike rack.

I'm thinking maybe to create a bracket and post that goes in the receiver and another bracket that attaches to the bike rack when it is in use.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #413
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Got it. Never thought I'd buy a trailer hitch flagpole holder. :-)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #414
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
Can't do a license plate mount because we have a receiver hitch for a lightweight bike rack.

I'm thinking maybe to create a bracket and post that goes in the receiver and another bracket that attaches to the bike rack when it is in use.
How about mounting it inside your rear window, looking back? While I don't have the same camera, I mounted mine inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	264054   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	264055  

2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #415
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
How does the wire get to the connector for the TV?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:23 AM   #416
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Quote:
I spliced the power cord into the cord for a light inside the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	264149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	264150  

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	264151  
Old 06-10-2016, 05:27 AM   #417
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
MainStreamer's camera is wireless.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:37 AM   #418
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
MaineStreamer's camera is wireless.
Yes, indeed.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #419
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Garmin 760LMT Wireless Backup Camera System

We use this unit, but it has not been ideal. I invite you to consider my experience in light of what you seek to achieve with this unit, or one like it, and hope that experience is of help to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760LMT...min+rv+760+lmt

First, purchasers of this head unit need to know that it only works with the BCTM 20 Wireless Backup Camera. Ours was mistakenly shipped with a different Garmin camera and the camera had to be replaced. Support by Garmin was excellent.

Second, installation was costly, and while the wireless connection may work well with shorter trailers, at 27" ours is at the limit of connectivity, such that we have now invested in a $30 Garmin extension cable. If I were to do this again and had a trailer at that length or longer I would get the cable to begin with.

As to the camera, it is a wide angle view most appropriate to backing usage.

We use the camera most frequently when the tow vehicle is in drive to show what is behind the AS as we are moving forward. In that mode, the head unit often doesn't allow distant images to appear until later than you might prefer. It's adequate, but not ideal. If you were only interested in using the system to assist you in backing that would not be of concern.

Finally, we use the in-dash GPS unit for that function and use the Garmin just as a receiver for the video image, again mostly when going down the street. For that video-display function I think I would have been better served buying a product dedicated to that usage, and not paying for and wasting the GPS capabilities of the Garmin unit.

That said, if your intended usage of this unit is different these observations may be of less or no concern. You can certainly toggle back and forth between GPS and camera and seek to use the unit for both purposes. I want to always see what is behind me, not waste time toggling when I need to know waht's back there in real time.

My main usage - and I am grateful for it! - is to see what is behind me as I am proceeding down the road, over and above what my towing mirrors on the sides of the tow vehicle. show. This unit does a good job of providing that information, and without doing research I can't be sure, but if your interests mirror mine, I suggest you compare pricing with a dedicated camera and display system for your AS.
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:43 AM   #420
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I now have about 800 miles towing with my recently purchased and installed 760 and camera. Only installation cost was for the extension cable. Operation of both the GPS and camera has been relatively flawless. Only issue I have with the camera is its relatively slow data transfer rate. It makes the image appear a bit jumpy and at times distorted. In heavy traffic I can keep an eye on the tailgaters and it has certainly improved my ability to back up. The GPS has a much higher refresh rate than my previous RM RV unit. Like every unit I have used puting in addresses can still be a chore. It comes with an extensive data base of points of interest specific to RVs. My last RV specific unit lasted 5 years before it had a nervous breakdown. I can only hope this one last as long.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote