Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #281
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
Understood. I am just thinking if I put the router under the front bench it would be out of the way, not taking up normal storage spce, and I would not need to remeber to unplug it.
Yes, your idea will work. Anywhere near the front inside of the trailer.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #282
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Fred Stokes,
I am also thinking of getting a tire pressure monitor system, which would communicate to an iPhone app via wifi.

Trucks : TPMS for smartphone with free app

Would I be able to utilize the router WAP from your system for this in addition to the camera? (As a go-between, to facilitate communication between my iPhone in the TV and the TPMS module in the trailer)

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #283
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Charlie,

I'm sorry, but I don't have any expertise regarding TPMS. I believe in them and have a Dill system myself. However, the LAN router should be able to serve other internal applications besides the camera. The tire pressure sensors would need to transmit to the router and the router to the smartphone that has the appropriate TPMS app installed. At least in theory, but I haven't researched any TPMS apps so I really don't know.
WBCCI #2810
Old 11-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #284
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I believe that TPMS all (that I know of) broadcast a radio signal, not "wireless". I don't think any phones are capable of receiving radio signals, even if there were an app.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #285
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Quote:
I believe that TPMS all (that I know of) broadcast a radio signal, not "wireless".
Rich,

Your're right. I had forgotten about this. That also explains why there's no RF interference between TPMS and wireless devices.
WBCCI #2810
Old 11-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #286
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The link for that TPMS says its repeater converts the sensor signal to a wifi signal, which goes to your phone. Doesn't sound like it needs the router, just mount their repeater at the front of the trailer. As long as their iPhone app will send alerts when running in the background it should be OK.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #287
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Have you tested the router in the back of the Airstream? That is where my 12v plug is located in the cabinet over the rear dinette? Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #288
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
I have not, but I'm pretty sure at that distance the signal would more prone to break up. It's so easy to wire in a 12vdc socket I'd definitely recommend doing that instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #2810
Old 11-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Garmin BC-20

I just installed the Garmin BC-20 backup camera on my trailer license plate, ran the extension cable under the airstream with cable ties to existing piping, and terminated in the battery box, with the wireless transmitter in the battery box. Works like a charm with the Garmin GPS. Better than some other things I was trying. I do not have it hooked up to the reverse so it will function as a rear view camera since my GPS is on the dash when pulling the trailer. I have a disconnect in the battery box for when I park for the night.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #290
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I just installed the Garmin BC-20 backup camera on my trailer license plate, ran the extension cable under the airstream with cable ties to existing piping, and terminated in the battery box, with the wireless transmitter in the battery box. Works like a charm with the Garmin GPS. Better than some other things I was trying. I do not have it hooked up to the reverse so it will function as a rear view camera since my GPS is on the dash when pulling the trailer. I have a disconnect in the battery box for when I park for the night.
Larry
Larry, I recently purchased a Garmin 760 LMT with BC20 and plan to install my camera in exactly the same manner (in the spring).

I thought I might have to rivet a few cable holders to the belly pan to route the cable, but if I can get away with cable ties all the way to the front of the trailer so much the better. I've been considering mounting the transmitter high up on the inside of the propane housing. I will put a switch on the transmitter red wire for disconnect, and connect directly to the batteries.

Did you drill holes in the bumper tray to route the wire underneath, or just pass it over the back of the bumper?
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #291
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Why not power it from the umbilical running lights connection? Then there is no switch to forget...

That way it shuts off when you turn the lights off. It's also a good idea to have the running lights on when you are towing-makes you more visible to other drivers.

We run our headlights when towing both day and night like a big rig. I just adjust the dash light dimmer for conditions as needed.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #292
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Why not power it from the umbilical running lights connection? Then there is no switch to forget...
A superior solution!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #293
Rivet Master

Corona , California
From a forgetful engineer 😃

Old 11-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #294
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Larry
Sounds similar to what I was thinking only connect to the running lights. How did you run the cable from the license plate to the bottom of the trailer? I was also thinking of mounting the camera up high near the clearance lights and running the cable along the roof and down through the refer vent, then mount the transmitter in the refer compartment.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #295
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I was also thinking of mounting the camera up high near the clearance lights and running the cable along the roof and down through the refer vent, then mount the transmitter in the refer compartment.
I considered this method as well, but felt the dis-advantages (transmitter further from the receiver, more solid material for the signal to go through, camera mount would require screws or rivets, how to secure wire running to reefer vent) outweigh the advantages (higher point of view, more security for camera).
Old 11-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #296
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
I considered this method as well, but felt the dis-advantages (transmitter further from the receiver, more solid material for the signal to go through, camera mount would require screws or rivets, how to secure wire running to reefer vent) outweigh the advantages (higher point of view, more security for camera).
Back up camera's have a usual working distance of about 150 feet, at least by those that we have tested.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #297
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I ran the cable down from the plate to the bumper across to the end and down around the side of the bumper. I used heavy duty stick cable clips for this part. At that point there is a piece of aluminum you can fish through. I used the curb side because there is more piping to cable tie to. I did not want the system on the running lights as I leave my headlights in AUTO. A disconnect in the battery box better meets my needs.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #298
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
I ran the cable down from the plate to the bumper across to the end and down around the side of the bumper. I used heavy duty stick cable clips for this part. At that point there is a piece of aluminum you can fish through. I used the curb side because there is more piping to cable tie to.
Larry
Good information. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #299
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Makes sense. My Tacoma lights have auto-off with ignition switch, but have to be turned on manually. I just leave them on when we're on the road.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #300
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Larry
I have a 2014 23D FG and would like to mount a backup camera to the trail license plate. the Garmin BC-20 looks interesting. Has anyone else mounted a different brand of backup camera to the license plate? I am also thinking about mounting the camera inside looking out the rear window but i am concerned about the glare

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote