Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #121
Cris

2013 27' FB International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Voyager WVOS 713 System - Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
I am considering the Voyager WVOS713 system and have several questions.

(1) Is the viewing angle satisfactory? our biggest concern is that the camera has a relatively narrow field of view (117-degrees diagonal) when compared to Voyager's hardwired cameras (150-degrees diagonal). That's an attribute that you need to consider: You will be trading a smaller field of view for the convenience of wireless.
I initially had the same concern with the angle. However, I've found that the 117 degree setup is perfect. Even at 117, there is sufficient width to see everything

(2) How did you attach the camera to the top of the trailer? Did you drill holes and use sheet metal screws?
Here's the big decision, and in fact I spent at least a couple of weeks researching the best location. If you look at where "Airstreams to Go" put their camera (at the license plate area); and then install a bike rack, the camera is just taking pictures of you bike -- not a big help. Also, placing the camera at the license plate can create concerns about someone deciding they deserve to own the camera more than you do !! Seeing that the best angle is at or near the rear clearance lights, I decided to mount it at the top near the center light. But instead of using the light's wiring (and risking the chance of breaking the lens or leaving an opening for water, I drilled through the skin and attached the camera mount with Gorilla rivets, and fed the wiring into the space above one of the LED lights in the rear overhead cabinet. And here's the part that made this a perfect solution. The camera is 12 V, so I routed the wires through the overhead to the rear of the media setup in the cabinet, removed the BluRay, stripped the wires and attached them to a 12V plug purchased on Amazon. Then I just routed that plug through the same port in the top of the BluRay box and use that to power the camera. Advantage of this process is that clearance lights don't need to be on for the camera to be used.

(3) We have Bluetooth active for a cell phone link and listen to satellite radio. Will this cause any interference?
I had this very concern, and made several calls to vendors to ensure that the WVOS713 camera would not interfer with any of my Bluetooth, WiFi, or or other wireless communication devices. In fact, when I bought my camera from RVCams.Com, I ordered the wired antenna extension, the extra cable, and really considered making a "hard-wired" installation. Before actually making any holes in the outer skin, I the system up and tested it with my Bluetooth, WiFi, and MiFi devices all running. I discovered that the advertised frequency skipping set up worked as advertised. I've been using this system for the last 9 months and think that it's one of the best enhancements that anyone can make.

(4) Was there plenty of slack in the center light wire to pull it out and connect to the camera?
Don't know about this part of the install, but if I recall BAB can provide additional info on installing it at this location. For me, I just pulled the center LED light in the rear overhead (its designed just like any can light with a spring holder) and used the access to feed the camera wiring into the space between the roof and the cabinet top.
We're actually on the road this week -- at the beach in SoCal, so I'll try to attach photos if it would help.

Good luck with whichever system you decide to purchase.

Cris
Cris911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #122
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I tried my new go pro and iPad as a backup camera. I found the signal weak but operational, sitting at the wheel and the camera on the trucks bumper shelf. There is a time lag to contend with.
I tried the camera on the bumper shelf of the AS and couldn't get a signal, too much metal to punch through.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I will give updates and pics related to post #117 as things progress.
I think y'all all will like it.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
I tried my new go pro and iPad as a backup camera. I found the signal weak but operational, sitting at the wheel and the camera on the trucks bumper shelf. There is a time lag to contend with.
I tried the camera on the bumper shelf of the AS and couldn't get a signal, too much metal to punch through.
Thanks. I tried it this weekend at home with similar results, the delay was most pronounced when recording footage - to such a degree that it would be unusable as a backup camera.

However, when not recording the delay was something I think I could deal with, looked like less than a second. Haven't of course tried it yet with the trailer where all that metal might well cause it to be unusable.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I will give updates and pics related to post #117 as things progress.
I think y'all all will like it.
Are you mounting this on the truck or the trailer?

My car has a backup camera built in, I am interested in being able to see what's happening behind the trailer.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I already have it on the truck.
I am getting another mounted on the trailer.
There will be a toggle switch to select which camera to view on the screen.
There is a module available for vehicles with multiple cameras that automatically selects which camera using software.
As long as you are moving forward, you get a 360 degree view all around the car.
When you put on the left signal, you get a view left of the vehicle, vice versa with the right turn signal.
When you shift into reverse, you get a rear view.
These features are available OEM on some cars, but quickly are copied for the aftermarket.
I, too, want to see what's going on behind the trailer-
1. For backing into camp sites.
2. For knowing what's back there as I travel down the highway.
Please refer to post #117.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #127
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
Cris,

Thanks for the details on how you set up your Voyager system. I had a question about your camera mounting. First, I may be dumb,(please don't ask my wife) but what are "Gorilla Rivets".
Second, so you did drill a separate hole through the skin for the camera wire? ...and how did you make it all water tight?
Thanks for your detailed instructions.
Ken
2023 GMC Denali 3500
kdinnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I already have it on the truck.
I am getting another mounted on the trailer.
Thanks. Looking forward to your experiences with this, so we can RAD (rip off and duplicate)
Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Gee! Thanks!
I really think it is gonna be awesome and y'all will like it.
The one on the truck has been on there for a year.
Rydeen makes OEM style cameras for pickups (like the blue oval with a camera in it), as well as other types of mounts and monitors.
I have a local car stereo store that when I think up something cool they make it happen.
I didn't want to drill holes in my skin, or have exposed wiring, or have a visible antenna- this system will address all these issues- basically I haven't been pleased with any options I've seen, and $800 for the Voyager is just too much in my opinion.
I hope this will blow all other options away.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #130

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
This morning I took several pictures of my Voyager Camera installation at the request of a Forums member. I emailed them directly to him. He has suggested that some others may also be interested.

Here is the series of photos. Keep in mind that my Voyager was already on New Lucy when bought her. Lucy's original owner designed and installed this mounting system. It's pretty slick in that it allows for easy mounting and removal of the camera unit. This is a real plus from a security standpoint.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03827.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	207367   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03828.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	207368  

Name:	DSC03829.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	207369   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03830.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	207370  

Name:	DSC03831.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	207371   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03833.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	207372  

Name:	DSC03834.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	207373   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03835.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	207374  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #131
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Rear view camera - another approach

I found that the best advice for designing a rear view camera system came from our esteemed AS guru dznf0g who started this thread. I purchased a system from this site:
GPS Backup Camera, Wireless Backup Camera RV truck, Pan & Tilt handheld monitor, Pan & Tilt IP Network Camera, Dancing Daisy baby monitor, usb wireless video camera
http://www.airforums.com/forums/imag...attach/jpg.gif

I chose to install the camera on the rear center marker light. Mounting it high gives a better look down the road and keeps the camera out of direct headlight glare. It uses the power from the light wires, so I turn the camera on by turning on the running lights. Your AS looks best cruising down the road with those lights on, anyway. I pulled off the lens and mounting base and stripped the wires.

I used the light base as a template to make an aluminum mount for the camera bracket. I used 1/8" aluminum sheet and cut it with a jigsaw. I mounted it on the vise to shape the curve with some gentle hammer persuasion.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1394832216

Then I lined up the camera bracket and drilled mounting holes in the new base.

I used the light's gasket under the new base to seal the connection to the trailer with some caulk. I made the connections with crimp connectors, and pushed them into the hole.

I learned the hard way - despite dznf0g's warning - that you have to seal the power connection on the back of the camera housing with caulk. My first camera soon had condensation inside and I had to replace it. 4ucam was reasonable and offered a new camera at half price with a two year warranty.

After installation it looks pretty natural up there, I think. This shows the camera with the provided stubby antenna. I later replaced that with an extended antenna.

I removed the old roof mount crank-up television antenna - never used it - and mounted an extended 2 meter antenna to the bracket with zip ties and attached the antenna cable to the camera. The antenna extends the range of the camera and is available at 4ucam, $25. http://www.4ucam.com/images/7109_ant.jpg

In the TV - our Chevy Express "Silvester," I rigged up an adapter so I could mount the monitor bracket to the dashboard. I made it out of wood, painted it black and screwed it right into the dashboard. You can also see the van's antenna line connected to the back.

The monitor can be easily removed when not in use, and the antenna line tucks out of the way. When in use the van's antenna, a duplicate to the antenna mounted on the trailer, sits on its magnetic base on the van roof, and the line runs through the side window and along the headliner seam to the dashboard. I keep the antenna secure on the roof with an adhesive cable mount stuck on the roof. The magnet works very well. The antennas make a good wireless connection. Not great, good. I have some flips and dropouts when near interference, but generally it works well. Nighttime image is very good.

I also use a wireless magnetic mount camera with this system for hitching. It's a real bonus!
842T_spec

This system costs about $320 with the hitch camera and the two extended antennas.

dznf0g's patch antennas have the advantage of internal mounting. This system is more exposed but didn't involve any interior fitting. I do recommend enhanced antennas with this system - the stubby little antennas that come with the unit just don't cut it.

I have found that the system is helpful in backing into campsites and parking spots, but the wide view is a bit distorting when judging close distances, so I find I still Get Out And Look.

So now I find it's much easier to see the cop and his pretty red light behind me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	207431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0246.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	207432  

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	207433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	207434  

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	207435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	207436  

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	207439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	207442  

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	207444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	207445  

Old 03-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #132
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Voyager Camera System WVOS713 Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
This morning I took several pictures of my Voyager Camera installation at the request of a Forums member. I emailed them directly to him. He has suggested that some others may also be interested...

Brian
The installation of this system on the rear of a 30 ft. Classic Airstream travel trailer was relatively straight forward. The camera was mounted just below the rear window of the trailer, at a height that is about shoulder high. Power for the camera was taken from the power leads going to the tag light.
The system powered up and paired the camera to the receiver with no adjustment on my part.

I used the mounting bracket approach described by Brian (Moosetags), with no significant modifications.

The picture is clear. The camera is transmitting to the receiver over a distance of approximately 45 feet. The camera antenna looks through the rear window of the travel trailer, the front window of the travel trailer, and the rear window of the Ford F250 truck to see the antenna on the receiver.

I will do some fine tuning of the picture with respect to brightness, contrast, and color when the weather clears next week.

We leave on a 7,500 mile trip in April. I will report back on the performance of the system during this long trip.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So just to be clear, you're using the single camera version, not the 3 camera version, yes? How is the view with 1 camera? Enough to see traffic behind you in conjunction with your mirrors? I'm having one installed at the Mothership next month and thinking single cam.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Post # 56 shows the view behind from the road with my single camera. The cars coming around are well within mirror view by the time they disappear from camera view.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #135

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
So just to be clear, you're using the single camera version, not the 3 camera version, yes? How is the view with 1 camera? Enough to see traffic behind you in conjunction with your mirrors? I'm having one installed at the Mothership next month and thinking single cam.
Mine is a single camera version. I have now been towing with it for about 3,500 miles. I have found that the view behind the Airstream is so good that I no longer mount the tow mirrors on the Suburban or pull the tow mirrors out on the Silverado.

The only problem that I have had is in the rain. The way that the back end of the Airstream throws up water mist, it gets all over the camera lens. This renders it useless in the rain.

This being said, I really like having the rear view camera. It makes me feel that I know what is going on behind the Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Brian, that's one of the things I like about having it up high. I'll get some individual drops on the glass, but rarely, even in driving rain, does it become obscured to the point of not being able to see pretty clearly what's back there.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks guys - that's helpful. Single cam it is!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #138
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Just picked up our FC25 last week at Colonial. Had them install the Voyager. Outstanding way to go. Agree with the value while towing. Almost easier to check than my add on mirrors which as expected vibrate in the wind.

Found it really useful when passing to know when you have really cleared the vehicle you are passing.

Mount is under the center marker light. Tilted down so that the outside bottom edges just show the rear awning. Can't see directly to the bumper but works fine backing into a truck stop and stopping just over the curb.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #139
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
How does one keep the voyage (or any other camera that is visible to anyone) from being stolen from the back of the trailer?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #140
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
My camera is mounted high, as others have described. You're not getting up there without a ladder or something. Also, at that height it's one of the least interesting things about a, "Wow, is that an Airstream? Do they still make those?" trailer.

I need to re-aim my camera just a little bit. The dealer-install job was good, but they aimed the camera too far down to be sure I could see the bumper. I don't see cars behind the trailer until they are very close, and it's not much help backing up. With a little adjustment, it will be perfect.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote