Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Describe the so-called "bump" for us (what you see).

Thanks.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Of course, if the brake controller is set too low, during (in my case a pretty hard stop...yellow light on a 55mph road) the Hensley will swing to the side perhaps 10 degrees or so. When it reaches the extent of its permissable travel, you get the "bump" or the feeling of the trailer suddenly slowing to match the speed of the TV, which is rapidly decelerating.

It looks just like the Hensley does when you are in a slight turn...in other words, the orange part is slightly off center relative to the hitch box.

Does that make sense?

Of course, the cure is to increase the controller to have the trailer pulling back slightly on the TV, hopefully while not locking up the tires.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sorry, I know what the "bump" is supposed to be (I also own one). I remain irritated at those who also claim it a threat to orderly forward progress (usually citing a downhill grade, with a curve and being passed with a 30-mpg increase in headway by two or more tractor-trailers in close unison. In the rain. And, at night.)

My counter to that (and also by others) is that incorrect hitch set-up is the answer to an otherwise unremarkable event. Bad brake conrol adjustment is the other. If someone can cite an instance where this actually was a factor, contributing or otherwise, to a loss-of-control accident then we would be all ears. No takers.

Brake controller adjustment and hitch adjustment remain the single (paired) answer to (as 2Air put it) da bump.

Then, how it looks from the drivers seat would be of interest. Straight-ahead, curved, slowing at different rates, etc. Not suggesting you have to go out and test per this request, but you'd certainly have a bunch of folks interested if some videos were made for a thread with that as theme.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It is no more nor less dangerous than a "regular" WD hitch with the controller set too low. With the HAHA you just get an additional input to your butt as a reminder to readjust your controller. The physics be da same, regardless of the hitch. It was a bit alarming...but I knew what it was just as soon as it happened, due to all the info here on the Forum. It didn't cause any irregular handling, other than the obvious....my controller was set too weak and I got pushed a little.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #61
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
HENSLEY BUMP=installed rong+made werse by low gain.

Get it rite...no bump.

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
HENSLEY BUMP=installed rong+made werse by low gain.

Get it rite...no bump.

Bob
Guarantee you.......not installed wrong. Just not enough gain.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #63
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I can turn the BC off and get no bump....why?

Not saying you won't eliminate the "bump" by increasing the gain, just that if the Hensleys set up correctly with no worn parts you'll have no bump.

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I can turn the BC off and get no bump....why?

Not saying you won't eliminate the "bump" by increasing the gain, just that if the Hensleys set up correctly with no worn parts you'll have no bump.

Bob
I'd bet you will if you turn off the BC, run at about 50mph and stand on the brakes almost to the point of ABS activation. Try it. It is absolutely normal in that scenerio. When the hitch system is in a compressed state (force, not clearance) by its geometry, you can get some side to side movement of the head relative to the box. Thus the bump.

Now that I have successfully hyjacked my own thread, maybe we should start another. (BTW, again, I am absolutely certain...no wear and set up properly....except my controller was at 60% max power.)

Old 04-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #65
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The "other" argument is going down a long grade -- exhaust brake only -- where the brake controller is not activated. (This purportedly keeps some RV.net contributors awake at night)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
And now back to our thread...

It's been a year and a half since dznf0g (I prefer to call him dzn since I'm not sure how to pronounce the full name, and I'm not sure if he prefers an O or a zero in the spelling) presented his seminal treatise on selecting and installing a rear view camera on his AS.

I have attempted to "beta test" his plan by installing a similar system on my rig. Results are promising! Instead of using his design using antenna patches I chose to purchase two 2m antenna "extenders" as suggested by the dealer, 4ucam.com. I purchased the same monitor and ccd camera as dzn, and the same little magnetic camera for hitching.

I will soon post a complete description of my installation, but I have a question for dzn.

On post #40 of this thread you mentioned a problem with fogging inside the camera housing. It happened to me, too. Here's a photo of my monitor mounted in my van (parked 50 feet away) showing the fogging problem:

/Users/Spafs/Desktop/Photos/IMG_0551.JPG

A nice view of what the camera sees when parked in my driveway. Good view of the neighbor's trash can, eh? But you'll notice that the bottom of the image, showing my 30 amp receptacle mounted on the side of my house, is pretty clear, while the top of the image is foggy, literally, due to ... fogging.

dzn, you mentioned you opened up the camera to dry it out. How? The back plate seems like it is epoxied into the one-piece housing. Did you cut the housing? I'd like to dry it out and then seal the power opening as you recommend.

I am also including a photo of how I use the 2m antennas. This view shows the camera on its mount where it has replaced the center rear marker light, and the 2m antenna mounted (with zip ties now - better system later) on the bracket that used to hold the useless stock tv antenna that I've removed. (You can see the tippy-top of our King Dome satellite receiver just beyond the AC cover.)
/Users/Spafs/Desktop/Photos/IMG_0549.jpg

And this image shows the other 2m antenna set on the top of my van, using its magnetic base. I only set this up when we're on the road, attaching it to a cable mounted inside the middle side window, which runs along the header to the dash and the monitor. When I'm not towing it lives under the driver's seat.
/Users/Spafs/Desktop/Photos/IMG_0552.JPG

But more about this later. First, how to dry out the camera housing?
Spaf
Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Oh, so now spit. The photos didn't load. I guess drag and drop doesn't work.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hi, John,

Don't even open it up. They can't be sealed to keep from fogging. If you can't beat em...... I drilled two very small holes in the aluminum casing on either end of the glass lens/IR protector. Maybe 1/32" each. Since the camera is always pointed down I figured no direct spray would be forced in and it would be ventilated enough to keep from fogging. Has worked perfectly for over a year....no fogging.

Dzn is fine...dznf0g (with a zero was my very first logon ID at work waaaaaay back when. I always pronounced it dizenfog. Since I am dizzy and foggy most of the time, it stuck!

I have the camera in the basement for the winter. I'l go shoot a pic of the drilling mod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oswego-20130117-00004.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	176926

Be carefull on how much pressure you use. You want to stop the bit as soon as you break through. There is a board about 1/8" behind the case..maybe 3/16".

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20111108-00133.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	176927

Well, it's more than 3/16" to the board, as seen above....but IIRC there is something behind the face. Just be careful. edit: Oh, it's the IR board.

BTW, I am still very happy with the setup.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #69
Cris

2013 27' FB International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Over in the "Airstream2Go" thread (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...lc-95715.html) there's a photo of the external camera at the rear of the "custom" Airstreams used by Airstreams2Go. Following the discussion in this thread, as well as the "Backup Camera" thread, I purchased the Voyager WVOS713 system, and now I have to decide whether to install the camera higher (near and tied into the clearance lights at the top rear of the trailer) as discussed in the Backup Camera thread, or similar to this photo.

Recognizing the advantages & disadvantages of the two locations, I thought I would post the question to see if others have recently installed a similar camera and what your experience might be from using the system ?

Any info is appreciated,

Cris
Old 06-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Welcome to the Airstream Forums, Cris. My 2 cents... I believe the higher position has 3 advantages.

A birds eye view of what's behind you seems to provide a better picture of any potential obstacles
The higher position is above the beam of following headlights if you want to see at night
The higher position is away from curious little hands