Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #61
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
HENSLEY BUMP=installed rong+made werse by low gain.

Get it rite...no bump.

Bob
Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
HENSLEY BUMP=installed rong+made werse by low gain.

Get it rite...no bump.

Bob
Guarantee you.......not installed wrong. Just not enough gain.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #63
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I can turn the BC off and get no bump....why?

Not saying you won't eliminate the "bump" by increasing the gain, just that if the Hensleys set up correctly with no worn parts you'll have no bump.

Bob
Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I can turn the BC off and get no bump....why?

Not saying you won't eliminate the "bump" by increasing the gain, just that if the Hensleys set up correctly with no worn parts you'll have no bump.

Bob
I'd bet you will if you turn off the BC, run at about 50mph and stand on the brakes almost to the point of ABS activation. Try it. It is absolutely normal in that scenerio. When the hitch system is in a compressed state (force, not clearance) by its geometry, you can get some side to side movement of the head relative to the box. Thus the bump.

Now that I have successfully hyjacked my own thread, maybe we should start another. (BTW, again, I am absolutely certain...no wear and set up properly....except my controller was at 60% max power.)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #65
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The "other" argument is going down a long grade -- exhaust brake only -- where the brake controller is not activated. (This purportedly keeps some RV.net contributors awake at night)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
And now back to our thread...

It's been a year and a half since dznf0g (I prefer to call him dzn since I'm not sure how to pronounce the full name, and I'm not sure if he prefers an O or a zero in the spelling) presented his seminal treatise on selecting and installing a rear view camera on his AS.

I have attempted to "beta test" his plan by installing a similar system on my rig. Results are promising! Instead of using his design using antenna patches I chose to purchase two 2m antenna "extenders" as suggested by the dealer, 4ucam.com. I purchased the same monitor and ccd camera as dzn, and the same little magnetic camera for hitching.

I will soon post a complete description of my installation, but I have a question for dzn.

On post #40 of this thread you mentioned a problem with fogging inside the camera housing. It happened to me, too. Here's a photo of my monitor mounted in my van (parked 50 feet away) showing the fogging problem:

/Users/Spafs/Desktop/Photos/IMG_0551.JPG

A nice view of what the camera sees when parked in my driveway. Good view of the neighbor's trash can, eh? But you'll notice that the bottom of the image, showing my 30 amp receptacle mounted on the side of my house, is pretty clear, while the top of the image is foggy, literally, due to ... fogging.

dzn, you mentioned you opened up the camera to dry it out. How? The back plate seems like it is epoxied into the one-piece housing. Did you cut the housing? I'd like to dry it out and then seal the power opening as you recommend.

I am also including a photo of how I use the 2m antennas. This view shows the camera on its mount where it has replaced the center rear marker light, and the 2m antenna mounted (with zip ties now - better system later) on the bracket that used to hold the useless stock tv antenna that I've removed. (You can see the tippy-top of our King Dome satellite receiver just beyond the AC cover.)
/Users/Spafs/Desktop/Photos/IMG_0549.jpg

And this image shows the other 2m antenna set on the top of my van, using its magnetic base. I only set this up when we're on the road, attaching it to a cable mounted inside the middle side window, which runs along the header to the dash and the monitor. When I'm not towing it lives under the driver's seat.
/Users/Spafs/Desktop/Photos/IMG_0552.JPG

But more about this later. First, how to dry out the camera housing?
Spaf
Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Oh, so now spit. The photos didn't load. I guess drag and drop doesn't work.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hi, John,

Don't even open it up. They can't be sealed to keep from fogging. If you can't beat em...... I drilled two very small holes in the aluminum casing on either end of the glass lens/IR protector. Maybe 1/32" each. Since the camera is always pointed down I figured no direct spray would be forced in and it would be ventilated enough to keep from fogging. Has worked perfectly for over a year....no fogging.

Dzn is fine...dznf0g (with a zero was my very first logon ID at work waaaaaay back when. I always pronounced it dizenfog. Since I am dizzy and foggy most of the time, it stuck!

I have the camera in the basement for the winter. I'l go shoot a pic of the drilling mod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oswego-20130117-00004.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	176926

Be carefull on how much pressure you use. You want to stop the bit as soon as you break through. There is a board about 1/8" behind the case..maybe 3/16".

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20111108-00133.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	176927

Well, it's more than 3/16" to the board, as seen above....but IIRC there is something behind the face. Just be careful. edit: Oh, it's the IR board.

BTW, I am still very happy with the setup.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #69
Cris

2013 27' FB International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Over in the "Airstream2Go" thread (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...lc-95715.html) there's a photo of the external camera at the rear of the "custom" Airstreams used by Airstreams2Go. Following the discussion in this thread, as well as the "Backup Camera" thread, I purchased the Voyager WVOS713 system, and now I have to decide whether to install the camera higher (near and tied into the clearance lights at the top rear of the trailer) as discussed in the Backup Camera thread, or similar to this photo.

Recognizing the advantages & disadvantages of the two locations, I thought I would post the question to see if others have recently installed a similar camera and what your experience might be from using the system ?

Any info is appreciated,

Cris
Cris911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Welcome to the Airstream Forums, Cris. My 2 cents... I believe the higher position has 3 advantages.

A birds eye view of what's behind you seems to provide a better picture of any potential obstacles
The higher position is above the beam of following headlights if you want to see at night
The higher position is away from curious little hands
Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #71
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
After 18 months with my Voyager wireless and around 9,000 miles I can tell you it continues to perform according to spec. Not a single issue.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
cool....this will be a great mod.....what is total cost?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #73
Cris

Las Vegas , Nevada
Bab -- I read your post(s) in the "New DIGITAL wireless backup camera" thread several times and wanted to ask a few questions related to your install. Some of these may seem elementary, but I want to make sure that I have everything needed before beginning:

Your Comment: I installed the Voyager yesterday and had zero issues. The only awkward moment was getting the clearance light loose from the roof. (There are two friction clamps in the front and rear, but the sticky tape is REALLY difficult to gently pry loose.)

Question: Did you reuse or replace the sealant tape ?

Your Comment: Once I removed the lamp, it was easy to fish a wire from the hole I'd drilled. (About 4 inches below the clearance light.)

Question: The Voyager camera I received is the WVCMS10B. The instructions indicate that a 3/4" grommet hole should be drilled for the wiring assembly. Similar to all concerns related to drilling any hole in the skin, is this the process you followed ?

Your Comment: Didn't like having a black camera, so I carefully masked the lens area and sprayed it with Aluminum paint so it wouldn't look so ugly. After I mounted the camera, I fabricated a piece of A/S aluminum to cover the base of the mount (over the four screws that I'd drilled into the trailer -- and used a lot of sealant, I might add).

Question: This sounds like a great idea, but where would I get a small piece of aluminum to cover the base. Is there a particular specification or source that you could pass on to us ? Did you use Dicor sealant ?

Your Comment: Turned on the clearance lights, plugged in the display and presto! a terrific view behind SilverLeaf....then I did a bit of camera adjusting. VERY wide angle lens.

Question: One of points raised by RVCams (where I bought the system) was that the CMS10B camera has only a 117 degree view -- which seems fine to me. It appears that the camera adjustments would be limited to the pre-drilled points on the mount and the camera. Did you have to adjust the camera to different points ?

Lastly, are there any other pointers or info that I should consider before heading outside to install the system ??

Thanks in advance,

Cris
Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #74
Cris

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
cool....this will be a great mod.....what is total cost?
PharmGeek:

I noticed that the local Camping World had the systems on display, but the price seemed a bit high. So I did what everyone does -- a quick Google search, and I found the best price (as of earlier this week) at RVCams.com for about $560 w/ shipping. They're in Baton Rouge, LA, so I suspect that shipping would be less to your location.

They, as well as others, have a selection of camera systems. Without any prior experience with an exterior camera, and wanting "wireless", I made my decision based on feedback from others on the Forum. We'll see how it works out, I'm confident that the increased rear visibility will make it a worthwhile investment.

Cris
Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yes, it will be something for me to consider....once I have an AS...and once I get a bit more experience and determine my wants/needs.

Great info here..thanks.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #76
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up My experience.....

......avoid this one, factory replaced the first one, second one also junk.

$99.00 WallyWorld replacement, better choice. Actually I very seldom use the B/U camera anymore.

Bob
Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
I did an install but mounted the camera inside in the frame of my back window so I wouldn't have to punch a hole in my skin. During the day I can't tell that it's behind a piece of glass, at night there is a bit of a glare but not so much to make it unusable.

I've got a video of my full install here in the forums. I'll track it down and post a link if anyone wants to see it (posting from phone so can't just open another window to find and include).

Lynn
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #78
Rookie

2007 23' Safari SE
Helen , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post
I did an install but mounted the camera inside in the frame of my back window so I wouldn't have to punch a hole in my skin. During the day I can't tell that it's behind a piece of glass, at night there is a bit of a glare but not so much to make it unusable.

I've got a video of my full install here in the forums. I'll track it down and post a link if anyone wants to see it (posting from phone so can't just open another window to find and include).

Lynn
Great idea. Never thought of putting it in the window! We are thinking of getting voyager wireless system. I just cant say that I feel good about running a cable the full length of our rig. My DW found this backup rv camera article the other day. We labored over whether to get the voyager wireless or just have the wired camera from rearview saftey installed (overall abou the same cost) professionally.
Part of the Fedex Retiree Club (37 years)
martyhardy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Here's the link to my install where I mounted the camera in the rear window:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ion-88552.html

If I were to do it again, I'd do it pretty much the same except I'd skip the wireless system and just go with the wired. I'd actually buy a system that integrates the screen into a rearview mirror (and add a backup camera for the TV to it). This would eliminate some jumpiness I get in my monitor screen and make it so I don't have to use my cig lighter and mount a separate monitor. The con of this is that I wouldn't be able to switch the monitor from TV to TV.
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The new GoPro Hero camera GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera (not designed for this application, it's an outdoor video camera that's beloved by divers, snowboarders etc) has built in WIFI with a range of approx 600ft.

An accompanying Android/iOS app displays what the camera sees on your phone's screen.
While there is a 2 second delay while recording, that delay is almost unnoticeable when just using the camera for monitoring.

The Hero cam comes with all kinds of accessories, including a suction mount guaranteed to hold up to 200mph windspeed.

I am going to try this solution (we've got a couple of these camera at work) and will report back on feasibility.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote