Old 05-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #393
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Don't forget that your smartphone has excellent quality HD imaging when used in combination with a high quality camera. Image latency doesn't have to be a problem.

WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #394
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Just spent the last couple of hours messing with my Garmin camera. Jury rigged some power and got it working. Backwards picture is going to take some time getting used too. Problem I am having is deciding where to mount it, get power and still get the transmitter as close as possible to the front of the trailer. Really do not want to drill any holes if I do not have too. Thinking the license plate light might be a good place to tap power. It would be nice if Airstream could of left a little slack in the wiring. Not much to work with as it is.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #395
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I had an upside down picture.
The only solution I could come up with was to disassemble the camera and turn it over.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #396
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
The Ford Super Duty 2017's is said to have five cameras with the fifth dedicated as a WiFi rear view for trailer mount. I'm hoping there will be a way to add it to the 2016 without having to replace the entire Nav/screen unit.
From what I understand while discussing this option with the dealer when ordering my 2017 F250, it's a wired camera at this point. Comes with the camera in a pkg from Ford with I think 60' of wire to run and tap in to truck. Sends feed to built in monitor. Apparently there is a lot of discussion to try to get a wireless module, but all talk at this time.

Chuck
Old 05-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #397
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
AWCHIEF,

I recently completed a Garmin bc30 install in my '07. Don't have time to get into details right now but if you'd like my install experience let me know i'll detail later.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #398
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
AWCHIEF,

I recently completed a Garmin bc30 install in my '07. Don't have time to get into details right now but if you'd like my install experience let me know i'll detail later.

Gary
Yes, please

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #399
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Has anyone been able to compare the quality/resolution of the 5" wireless Voyager to the 7" wireless Voyager? I've used the 5" version on my FC but always hoped it had better resolution. On my new trailer I would consider a 7" if it's better quality or if there's another benefit other than display size. Thx
cory_can is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #400
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
An update - I tried hitching with my GoPro hero plus model - mounted on the propride hitch using a simple zip tie mount (removable zip ties)

It worked great - small delay so you take your time and it worked great no problem.

I have almost nothing to compare this to.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #401
2 Rivet Member

Northville , Michigan
Thumbs down Rearview camera in place of tow mirrors?

Short hijack of this thread...
I'm buying a new TV and found one with everything I want/need EXCEPT for the large, extendible tow mirrors. I'm going to have the Furrion Observation system installed on my trailer. I see from Moosetag and Oxen that they are using their systems in place of the rear view mirrors. Is that a consensus of folks who have installed the rear view camera systems? Can you travel safely with one and just standard truck side view mirrors?
Al
Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #402
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
I'm not a pretend lawyer, so I can't really tell you what state and federal laws require. Personally, though, we'd go for a "belt & suspenders" approach to tow mirrors and backup cameras (e.g. both).

That said, I like the optional side view cameras I saw on the Furrion website. It's not clear how they tie into the viewing system, but I'd love to stick a couple of those on Rocinante to help improve the viewing angle in addition to our existing (always active) rear view camera. It the solution is a good one, we'd even be willing to replace our Voyager with the Furrion just to get those side view cameras.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #403
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
Short hijack of this thread...
I'm buying a new TV and found one with everything I want/need EXCEPT for the large, extendible tow mirrors. I'm going to have the Furrion Observation system installed on my trailer. I see from Moosetag and Oxen that they are using their systems in place of the rear view mirrors. Is that a consensus of folks who have installed the rear view camera systems? Can you travel safely with one and just standard truck side view mirrors?
Al

I use a Voyager rear view camera system in addition to our standard Tundra pickup side mirrors while towing our 25' Airstream and have always felt safe. I really like being able to see what's directly behind the Airstream, right up to the bumper, at all times. I do carry (in storage inside the Airstream) two clip-on mirrors that attach to the Tundra's side view mirrors in case I am ever pulled over for violating a state's law that I'm unaware of (since I don't look at each state's law in advance of a trip ) or the camera or receiver breaks. I feel safer, and way more relaxed. driving with the rear view camera than without, this is for sure!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #404
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have tow mirrors on my Tundra.
I extend them fully when towing the Airstream.
I have a backup camera on the truck for coupling the trailer and backing the truck in general.
I have a backup camera on the trailer I use as a restive and to back into a campground site.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #405
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have the regular mirrors on my Durango. Using my rearview camera I do not have any blindspots.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #406
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Anybody else try this?

Not to pretend that I've got this all figured out, but Esicam got me thinking. That's sometimes a good thing. I was seriously considering the system, which I first read about a few pages back. For the monitor, it occurred to me that I could use one of my old android phones (a Droid Incredible -- 5 years old -- that I did not trade in when we got new phones last year), which would leave my current phone free for navigation and whatnot.

Esicam acts as its own WiFi router and they point you to an app for your phone, so connecting the Droid phone to the camera feed sounded like it would be easy. The challenges that I needed to solve were (1) where to mount the camera and how to provide power (would need >7 hours / day on the big trip in two weeks), and (2) where to mount the old phone in the truck.

As I was thinking about those problems, I started wondering if somehow I could use the other Droid Incredible that we didn't trade in to act as the camera. One old phone as the camera, the other as the monitor? It turns out that there are apps that can take care of that, no problem. For Android, IP Webcam and tinyCam Monitor seem to work together very well. In fact, the Monitor app can handle multiple cameras at the same time, so I have the option of using both old phones as cameras if I want to use a tablet to view in the truck.

Neither old phone has cell service and I would not want to burn data even if they did, so getting them talking to each other would be something I'd have to figure out. But I've got an old leftover router, and just ordered a cig lighter adapter so I can plug it into a DC outlet in the trailer to keep it powered up on the road.

I'll need to figure out how best to mount the phone inside the rear window of the trailer. Might start with tape and paper shims before looking at fancier mounts.

Fingers crossed that I can figure all of this out and have a functioning rear camera (or two) for less than $20. Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated!