Old 04-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #337
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I installed a Rear View Safety Wireless Backup Camera RVS-091406 at the top of the rear window between the screen and glass. Ran the wire between the window frame and behind the trim at the edge of the overhead cabinet and rear interior skin. Fished the wire (it has a miniature plug) through the hole where the wiring harness enters the overhead cabinet for the DVD. The antenna is mounted on the DVD box surround and I use the 12v plug on the left cabinet wall.

The first test was last week when we camped at Fort Stevens State Park near Astoria. I keep the camera on while driving and the 4.3" screen has to be turned to the bright side of the adjustment due to the darkened window glass that the camera is looking through which works well enough to easily see any tailgating vehicles and very well when backing into the camp site. $250 through Amazon and I am happy with the performance and ease of installation.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #338
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Got the rvrearviewcamera installed in my Sport 16 today.

Toilet paper tested the system: I hung a long sheet of tp over the rear window roller shade, turned on the overhead fan, and walked around outside checking the video. The moving tp assured me I didn't have a frozen picture.

I sat in my tv running the engine. No problem. Then I drove from my backyard to the front of my house, unhitched. I had a signal almost to the street in front, with my house between me and my AS.

Since my AS is the 25fb the audio center with a 12v plug is in the back dinette cabinet. Since you got such good performance I'm wondering if I mounted the router in the back audio cabinet it there still would be sufficient range? The routers signal would have go further but it sounds like there is plenty of margin for range.

If the system uses WIFI to get the rear view signal what other actions can the phone do. I understand phone calls would work but can you use the Maps app for navigation while still connected to the rear view camera.

Kelvin

Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #339
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Wireless Rear View Camera - RV Rearview Camera Systems installed today, with kind and patient coaching via email from Fred Stokes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	236719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	236720  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	236721  
Old 04-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #340
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
wireless performance might be improved by orienting the antenna vertically, rather than at an angle.

ymmv.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #341
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Voyager has several nice systems that work quite well. Wireless of course with the viewing screen in the TV which I plug into my 12V cigarette lighter when I need to use it. Pretty simple system that works. Dealer installed it.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #342
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
It is just sending its signal to the wireless router located near the front of the trailer. The router then communicates with my iPhone in the car. I could, however, probably use the smaller antenna that came with the camera since I installed it indoors. The large antenna that I have on it now is actually intended for when the camera is mounted on the roof of the Airstream, in order to communicate well with the router inside the Airstream.
Marty Womer
Old 04-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #343
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Is the iPhone using WIFI to connect to the camera? Is your email available? Are you able to use Maps or is there a way to force those services to use the cellular data while you use the iPhone for the rear view camera. This is not explained on their website.

I switched to a non working WIFI on my iPhone 6 and email and Maps is not available. I can see how you can restrict apps from not using cellular data but not the other way, forcing them to use cellular data while WIFI is enabled

I was hoping to have a one solution screen that can display the rear view camera but I could also switch to Maps or check my email. I'm trying to avoid having multiple items mounted in my tow vehicle.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #344
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Kelvin,

All services available through your phone provider are available while in camera mode such as phone calls, messaging and apps that don't require internet connection. You do not have Internet service while in camera mode. However, you can always access internet services and apps that require it by going to settings, tapping wi-fi. When done, it's a simple matter of changing back to the camera setting and tapping the camera icon. Hope this explains. If not, p.m. me and I'll go into more detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #345
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
It is just sending its signal to the wireless router located near the front of the trailer. The router then communicates with my iPhone in the car. I could, however, probably use the smaller antenna that came with the camera since I installed it indoors. The large antenna that I have on it now is actually intended for when the camera is mounted on the roof of the Airstream, in order to communicate well with the router inside the Airstream.
Marty Womer
You can tinker with the antennas.. But the bigger may be more reliable. The only way to know would be by having a signal strength meter... To compare.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #346
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
I am going to do as Fred does in the video on his website, use a separate GPS. I have a Garmin that I haven't used since I got my iPhone 5, but I have lifetime map updates for it, so I will update it and use it for GPS purposes. However, for phone calls and messaging, I will be able to use the iPhone while the camera software is running. (I just learned that from Fred's post above. This is why it is helpful to others to have such discussions on the main forum rather then in private messaging.)
Old 04-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #347
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
OK, I understand. If I need to access maps or email I just need to turn WIFI off temporarily to let the phone apps like email or Maps to function again. Just trying to avoid suction cup mounts all over my windscreen. I've already got my TireTraker tire pressure monitor mounted to the left of the steering wheel. I plan to mount my NEX5n on a suction cup mount near the rearview mirror to take some video while driving out to Zion this summer. I have an iPad mount coming so I can have the iPad mounted near the console. I guess I need to find an iPhone 6 mount now for the dash. Enable cellular data on the iPad for maps etc, use the iPhone for rearview camera and calls via Bluetooth. I'll need to determine if I have enough power connections for all these devices.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 10-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #348
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Tagging into this so. Can find it again
Old 10-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #349
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I had the Voyager system installed by our dealer. Has worked perfectly so far and we are very happy with it.

AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #350
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Talking Brand & Model?

Truck camera to the left of tailgate handle-
The transfer rate is a bit slow, but you will be backing slowly anyway.
It is still no substitute for getting out and looking 2-3 times or having someone guide you, but it does help.
I use it as a rearview mirror while traveling.[/QUOTE]

Which brand and model?

Jer