Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #341
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Voyager has several nice systems that work quite well. Wireless of course with the viewing screen in the TV which I plug into my 12V cigarette lighter when I need to use it. Pretty simple system that works. Dealer installed it.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #342
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
It is just sending its signal to the wireless router located near the front of the trailer. The router then communicates with my iPhone in the car. I could, however, probably use the smaller antenna that came with the camera since I installed it indoors. The large antenna that I have on it now is actually intended for when the camera is mounted on the roof of the Airstream, in order to communicate well with the router inside the Airstream.
Marty Womer
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #343
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Is the iPhone using WIFI to connect to the camera? Is your email available? Are you able to use Maps or is there a way to force those services to use the cellular data while you use the iPhone for the rear view camera. This is not explained on their website.

I switched to a non working WIFI on my iPhone 6 and email and Maps is not available. I can see how you can restrict apps from not using cellular data but not the other way, forcing them to use cellular data while WIFI is enabled

I was hoping to have a one solution screen that can display the rear view camera but I could also switch to Maps or check my email. I'm trying to avoid having multiple items mounted in my tow vehicle.

Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #344
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Kelvin,

All services available through your phone provider are available while in camera mode such as phone calls, messaging and apps that don't require internet connection. You do not have Internet service while in camera mode. However, you can always access internet services and apps that require it by going to settings, tapping wi-fi. When done, it's a simple matter of changing back to the camera setting and tapping the camera icon. Hope this explains. If not, p.m. me and I'll go into more detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #345
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
It is just sending its signal to the wireless router located near the front of the trailer. The router then communicates with my iPhone in the car. I could, however, probably use the smaller antenna that came with the camera since I installed it indoors. The large antenna that I have on it now is actually intended for when the camera is mounted on the roof of the Airstream, in order to communicate well with the router inside the Airstream.
Marty Womer
You can tinker with the antennas.. But the bigger may be more reliable. The only way to know would be by having a signal strength meter... To compare.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #346
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
I am going to do as Fred does in the video on his website, use a separate GPS. I have a Garmin that I haven't used since I got my iPhone 5, but I have lifetime map updates for it, so I will update it and use it for GPS purposes. However, for phone calls and messaging, I will be able to use the iPhone while the camera software is running. (I just learned that from Fred's post above. This is why it is helpful to others to have such discussions on the main forum rather then in private messaging.)
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #347
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
OK, I understand. If I need to access maps or email I just need to turn WIFI off temporarily to let the phone apps like email or Maps to function again. Just trying to avoid suction cup mounts all over my windscreen. I've already got my TireTraker tire pressure monitor mounted to the left of the steering wheel. I plan to mount my NEX5n on a suction cup mount near the rearview mirror to take some video while driving out to Zion this summer. I have an iPad mount coming so I can have the iPad mounted near the console. I guess I need to find an iPhone 6 mount now for the dash. Enable cellular data on the iPad for maps etc, use the iPhone for rearview camera and calls via Bluetooth. I'll need to determine if I have enough power connections for all these devices.

Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #348
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Tagging into this so. Can find it again
Old 10-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #349
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I had the Voyager system installed by our dealer. Has worked perfectly so far and we are very happy with it.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #350
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Talking Brand & Model?

Truck camera to the left of tailgate handle-
The transfer rate is a bit slow, but you will be backing slowly anyway.
It is still no substitute for getting out and looking 2-3 times or having someone guide you, but it does help.
I use it as a rearview mirror while traveling.[/QUOTE]

Which brand and model?

Jer
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:47 AM   #351
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Talking Views of the Monitor?

I sat in my tv running the engine. No problem. Then I drove from my backyard to the front of my house, unhitched. I had a signal almost to the street in front, with my house between me and my AS.

Can you provide pictures or a YouTube video of the monitor in varying light conditions. I know that is asking for a lot, but it would be helpful.

Jer
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #352
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
Kelvin,

Yes, if mounted using a clearance light for power you'll need to have your headlights on while driving. If this is a concern, power can be drawn from an interior 12v source.

The camera and router can be unplugged when not in use. They each draw less than 1 amp so depleting your trailer batteries is not an issue. They are only in use while you're traveling and the TV is supplying more power than they are using.

As an aside, I have one of these cameras in my home basement for security purposes and it hasn't been turned off in 2+ years. Same with my home router. I'm able to monitor whether someone should attempt to break in through the basement door. If so, I get an alarm and video to both my iPhone and PC.
Fred,

I planned to install a router inside the trailer so my iPhone and Apple TV can communicate and stream (I have unlimited cellular data on Sprint) to the HDTV I plan to install. Wouldn't your router be able to perform both functions?

Caroyl
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #353
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Caroyl,

I provided a more in depth reply in my response to your email, but just to summarize here, only smartphones have the processor speed needed to provide a low latency (lag time) real time wireless image. The system is a LAN so there is no cellular data used and therefore no operating cost. The router we provide is dedicated to the camera system with special proprietary configuration so no, it can't be used for other applications.

Thanks for your interest in our system.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #354
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I could not bring myself to drill holes and mount on the end cap, though it would have been the cleanest installation. So I used aluminum angle trim and drilled one hole in the rear window gutter edge plus double sided tape to secure the trim. I then mounted the Voyager Wireless camera to the channel. The power cord is run down the edge of the window mount and is connected to the rear license plate light via a two-wire connector.
Not the cleanest, but one I can live with for now. The technology changes and something else may come along that would replace the Voyager.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0423.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	252447  
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #355
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Precisely the reason I took the route I took-
Now, I have a camera that works intermittently-
I wonder if there is a signal strength repeater-
My camera is mounted to the license plate bracket, and the wireless transmitter is behind the headboard. I find I get a slightly more consistent picture if I throw all the pillows on the floor-
The advertised 250' range is with nothing in the way- no bedding, curtains, furniture, walls-
I have since purchased a baby monitor to use as a rear view camera. Its signal reaches further.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #356
Rivet Master

The Voyager works great; we went on a 2800 mile trip in September and it did its job. always a good signal, though I did have to fine tune the antenna angle on the monitor. Once it was in place, no issues.

I liked the fact that I could monitor the bike rack and traffic behind me while in transit.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #357
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Maybe I'll get a Voyager at Jackson Center one day. Then it will be them drilling holes in my trailer-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #358
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I have yet to have an issue with our Voyager camera. It has worked perfectly since day one.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #359
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
NEW ORLEANS , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I could not bring myself to drill holes and mount on the end cap, though it would have been the cleanest installation. So I used aluminum angle trim and drilled one hole in the rear window gutter edge plus double sided tape to secure the trim. I then mounted the Voyager Wireless camera to the channel. The power cord is run down the edge of the window mount and is connected to the rear license plate light via a two-wire connector.
Not the cleanest, but one I can live with for now. The technology changes and something else may come along that would replace the Voyager.
Can you open your rear window? Did you use a rivet for mounting the angle bracket to the window trim?
dfbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #360
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfbroussard View Post
Can you open your rear window? Did you use a rivet for mounting the angle bracket to the window trim?
I used a metal screw but a rivet would work as well. maybe better than the screw. I do not have problem opening the window. I thought there was the possibility but no, not an issue.