Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #261
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I mounted it to the bottom of the cabinet, so it looks out the rear window. I pulled power off of one of the reading lamps.
This sounds like a good solution and you don't drill into the skin. Does the camera interfere with the mini blinds on the rear window?

Thanks

Bob
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #262
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
This sounds like a good solution and you don't drill into the skin. Does the camera interfere with the mini blinds on the rear window?
As the seller of the particular camera system being discussed I'd like to assist in answering any questions.

Regarding the above question: The camera does not interfere with either the mini-blind or curtains inside the rear window. Both are able to be fully opened or closed at will. The camera comes with an adjustable mount and is easily attached with wood screws underneath the rear cabinet in a manner that is aesthetically pleasing.

A question was raised regarding what components are used, i.e. camera and router. The camera is a Sharx SCNC3408 IR (infrared), weatherproof, hi-resolution (1280p x 720p), color, hi-speed (30 frames/second) communicating wirelessly to a NETGEAR N-300 router positioned in the AS front cabinet. The camera transmits to the router and the router to the iPhone 5 or 6 in the TV cab. Both the camera and router operate on 12 volt DC and draw about 1 amp each. Many, if not most, AS's have a 12v cigarette lighter style socket in the front cabinet for the router to plug into. It's likely your rear window doesn't have such an OEM-installed 12 volt socket so that needs to be installed by the purchaser or an RV dealer. It's a fairly simple DIY job.

I will be glad to answer any other questions regarding our rear view camera system. Feel free to pm me if you like.

Thanks everybody,
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #263
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Wayne which app on the app store and any chance of photos on how you have the camera and router installed.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #264
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My Classic 25fb has a 12v cigarette socket in the dinette overhead cabinet where the radio is located. Could the Netgear router be installed there and still provide a good signal to the tow vehicle.

Can an iPad Air or Air2 be used instead of an iPhone? I only have the iPhone 4 right now. I'll probably upgrade to an iPhone 6 next year but I plan to get an iPad Air/Cellular model sooner. There are suction mounts available for iPads.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #265
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Quote:
Wayne which app on the app store and any chance of photos on how you have the camera and router installed.
I'm not Wayne, but I have pictures of the camera and router installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1217.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	227397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	227398  

Name:	Inteior Camera Pic 006.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	227399  
WBCCI #2810
Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #266
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Quote:
My Classic 25fb has a 12v cigarette socket in the cabinet where the radio is located. Could the Netgear router be installed there and still provide a good signal to the tow vehicle.
Yes. That's where the router should be located.

Quote:
Can an iPad Air or Air2 be used instead of an iPhone? I only have the iPhone 4 right now. I'll probably upgrade to an iPhone 6 next year but I plan to get an iPad Air/Cellular model sooner. There are suction mounts available for iPads.
An iPad Air2 should work. I'll be testing one in a few days and will let you know when I'm certain it works well. IMO, an iPhone is a more ideal size as it doesn't take much space, is easy to mount, and doesn't block your view as much.
WBCCI #2810
Old 11-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #267
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What is the diameter of the mounting pad of the camera. My 25fb has a light mounted under the dinette. There may be space behind the light to mount the camera. Not sure the wife is going to like the aesthetics of the camera hanging down.

Also any vibration or camera shake noticed?

Kelvin
Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #268
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Kelvin,
The mount base is 2-1/4" diameter and it comes in two sections so it may be made either 3" or 6" in length. 6" is normally needed to clear the top of the mini-blinds. It is very sturdy and the camera does not come loose when traveling. No shaking whatsoever.
WBCCI #2810
Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #269
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Thanks Fred. This may have been asked but any issues mounting inside? Read something about the IR doesn't work well through the glass but if the camera is at all close to the low light sensitivity of one like the Voyager I'm not sure that the IR would make any difference?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #270
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Gary,

The camera is 100% weatherproof and designed for outside security use. However, most folks mount the camera inside as it's easier even though you forfeit night vision (IR) capability. Infrared light does not penetrate glass so the only way to enable night vision is for the camera to be mounted outside. This involves drilling a 1/2" hole to run power from under the aluminum skin to the camera. Splicing to the middle rear clearance light power wire is usually what's done.

Please don't construe the above to mean the camera won't work at night. It still lets you see car headlights and streetlights same as with a real rear view mirror.
WBCCI #2810
Old 11-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #271
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
When you splice into the clearance light then you have to have your headlights turned on full time?

Does the camera draw power all the time when mounted inside and connected to 12v? Just thinking about battery drain when not hooked up.

Kelvin
Old 11-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #272
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Kelvin,

Yes, if mounted using a clearance light for power you'll need to have your headlights on while driving. If this is a concern, power can be drawn from an interior 12v source.

The camera and router can be unplugged when not in use. They each draw less than 1 amp so depleting your trailer batteries is not an issue. They are only in use while you're traveling and the TV is supplying more power than they are using.

As an aside, I have one of these cameras in my home basement for security purposes and it hasn't been turned off in 2+ years. Same with my home router. I'm able to monitor whether someone should attempt to break in through the basement door. If so, I get an alarm and video to both my iPhone and PC.
WBCCI #2810
Old 11-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #273
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Is the phone mount provided or is this and additional item that needs to be purchased?

In your top photo the camera is mounted behind the valance onto the bottom of the cabinet? The wire go off to one side. Do they reenter through the bottom of the cabinet behind the valance to access the light 12v wires?

Kelvin
Old 11-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #274
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Kelvin,
This is the rear window mount provided with the camera system. There's a different one provided for exterior mounting:

Amazon.com: Panavise 845-246W Deluxe Micro Mount (Cream): Car Electronics

The camera power wire runs along the underside of the cabinet in the channel between the valance and shade to the top of the cabinet on the left so it's hidden from view. There, a 12 cigarette lighter type socket is installed. An 18-22 gauge wire runs inside that cabinet to the 12 volt light fixture. All the wires are out of sight.

The camera power wire could be run and connected directly to another 12 volt source if your trailer cabinetry or wiring differs.
WBCCI #2810
Old 11-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #275
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
When you splice into the clearance light then you have to have your headlights turned on full time?

Does the camera draw power all the time when mounted inside and connected to 12v? Just thinking about battery drain when not hooked up.

Kelvin
Yes, you do have to have your headlights on all the time- or at least parking lights-
My camera gets power from the license plate light.
My truck's headlights turn off with 2 clicks of the key fob whenever we get out at a rest area. If you click the key fob once, the headlights will go off in a few seconds.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #276
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
In my installation I just ran the camera wire inside the cabinet then into the cavity to splice into the reading light. The camera power wire has a plug on it to disconnect when boondocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #277
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Fred Stokes,
Your camera system looks very interesting. I am wondering about the front placement of the Netgear router. It might be cool to power that from running lights to avoid power draw when boondocking - and avoid necessity to unplug or turn it off. Could it be mounted low, under the dinette bench? (I am assuming, perhaps wrongly, that running lights wire is routed there?).

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #278
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post
My system isn't exactly the same but I have my camera mounted inside the back window. I screwed the mount into the top of the frame. It's positioned to be centered at the back of the Airstream. I was able to run my cable down the window frame and into the storage compartment in the back.

I would say that the biggest drawback is that the window causes a glare on the camera when driving in the dark. I think if I ever change the location, I'll try to mount it near the license plate to see if that works. My very last choice would be to mount it up high on the back outside, putting holes in the skin.

In my setup, I really only need my camera to cover a limited area behind me. While it's nice to have a full, clear view, for me it isn't worth putting holes in the skin since a lot of the same areas are covered by my mirrors.

Lynn

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Lynn,

what system do you have?

Thanks

Bob
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #279
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Charlie,
You only use the camera system while traveling. The router and camera are easily unplugged when boondocking so no current is required. The router and camera combined only draw 2 amps. Your TV will supply more than enough to power them both while traveling plus a few extra amps to charge your battery.

The router is usually placed inside a front cabinet out of view and has no problem transmitting to your iPhone through the cabinet and aluminum shell.

Here's a picture of my router placement:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1041.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	227550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1040.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	227551  

WBCCI #2810
Old 11-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #280
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
Charlie,
You only use the camera system while traveling. The router and camera are easily unplugged when boondocking so no current is required. The router and camera combined only draw 2 amps. Your TV will supply more than enough to power them both while traveling plus a few extra amps to charge your battery.

The router is usually placed inside a front cabinet out of view and has no problem transmitting to your iPhone through the cabinet and aluminum shell.
Understood. I am just thinking if I put the router under the front bench it would be out of the way, not taking up normal storage spce, and I would not need to remeber to unplug it. The issue is would wireless transmission to iPhone or iPad in TV still work satisfactorily. Seem like it is worth a try.

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote