Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Updates on Wireless back-up cameras?

I know there are other, older, threads on this subject but I haven't seen anything recently. After my recent unfortunate backing problem, I have decided to get a wireless back up camera. There are so many out there, I am somewhat confused.

I think I want a wide angle, IR capability, and definitely needs to transmit 45 - 50 feet. What else?

I am looking for recommendations and experiences, now that some of you have had them for a while. The good, the bad, the ugly?

Thanks!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Read about your backup experience. So sorry...Made me think I was getting just a little too cocky. Seems as if the insurance will be ok though so a somewhat "silver" lining? I too want a backup camera. Saw one recently that was hardwired into a trailer but wireless would be best for us as well. Hope you get a lot of feedback on this thread, I will be lurking...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Read about your backup experience. So sorry...Made me think I was getting just a little too cocky. Seems as if the insurance will be ok though so a somewhat "silver" lining? I too want a backup camera. Saw one recently that was hardwired into a trailer but wireless would be best for us as well. Hope you get a lot of feedback on this thread, I will be lurking...
Thanks, I too got cocky. The irony is that I had a backup camera on my list of wants....just way down the list. It's now at the top. $4000 "bumps" can't happen again!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Just a comment for thought.

If you can find a 12 volt system with wireless transmission to another 12 volt location I would consider using that and installing it as follows. No reason to pay for the battery feature and replacements

Hard wire the receiver in the TV connected to a ignition switched source. Hard wire the camera in the trailer mounting the transmitter at the front of the trailer. Wire the 12 volt supply through a relay off the trailer batteries and controlled by the parking light circuit. This way the camera will only be on when the parking lights are on. Just before backing up you would turn on the parking lights. The TV receiver could also be wired to this circuit in the TV.

Make sure to fuse both supply lines, at manufactures ratings, at the point you pick up power.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Howie, I was thinking the same way for the camera. BUT, I think they draw so little power that you could just tap into the center rear running light circuit. Need to check into the draw whenever I settle on a model.

Either way, the running light "switch" is an easy method. I'll probably make the receiver/screen portable with a power port plug, since I use several TVs.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Just yesterday I watched an SOB hitch to his Hensley (only the 2nd time I've seen an SOB with a Hensly) using a small backup camera he placed on the bumper. Quick Googling let me to believe it was a 'Swift Hitch' because of the distinctive color.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Just yesterday I watched an SOB hitch to his Hensley (only the 2nd time I've seen an SOB with a Hensly) using a small backup camera he placed on the bumper. Quick Googling let me to believe it was a 'Swift Hitch' because of the distinctive color.
Yeah, I've seen those. I'm pretty good at hitching up. I am looking for a wireless system with the camera at the rear of the AS.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Backup Camera

My first backup camera was hard-wired to tow vehicle but weather got to after first year. Now I have Swift-Hitch that I got at Costco. It is magnetic and both the receiver and camera have rechargeable batteries (plugs into cig lighter outlet). Works great, color, IR for night and is bright yellow so you won't forget to remove it. I stick it on the back of my pickup's tailgate pointing down so that the ball is in view. I would rather use camera than have someone spot for me.
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
A wireless back up camera can be used on the back of an Airstream, just as easy as using it on the back of a tow vehicle.

We tested one that Costco sold, and it worked absolutely perfect at a distance of over 100 feet.

The camera can be fed the 12 volts DC, from the backup light circuit on the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A wireless back up camera can be used on the back of an Airstream, just as easy as using it on the back of a tow vehicle.

We tested one that Costco sold, and it worked absolutely perfect at a distance of over 100 feet.

The camera can be fed the 12 volts DC, from the backup light circuit on the trailer.

Andy
Where are you mounting them? And what kind of bracket are you using? I'd like to prevent poking holes in the skin.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Where are you mounting them? And what kind of bracket are you using? I'd like to prevent poking holes in the skin.
You can attach some of them on the license plate bracket, or inside the rear window.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
wireless back up camera

Quote:
I know there are other, older, threads on this subject but I haven't seen anything recently. After my recent unfortunate backing problem, I have decided to get a wireless back up camera. There are so many out there, I am somewhat confused.

I think I want a wide angle, IR capability, and definitely needs to transmit 45 - 50 feet. What else?

I am looking for recommendations and experiences, now that some of you have had them for a while. The good, the bad, the ugly?

Thanks!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I, too, would like to hear from those that have actually installed a wireless backupcamera system on an AS.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I guess I'll be the trial run. I couldn't find any really new forum entries, either here or at rv.net. I ordered up the 4ucam 9901AV. I didn't order the extension for the antenna and I think I'm gonna need it.
I'll try some temporary mountings, etc. as I will have my rear 2 sections replaced at JC the first week of November after my backing mishap.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I haven't tried the Swift-Hitch on my AS but the magnetic camera mount could stick to steel license plate. But it does not have a wide angle lens needed to see all potential hazards; it is mainly for hitching up.
DonS

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You can attach some of them on the license plate bracket, or inside the rear window.

Andy
Inside the back window won't work with the infra red night vision. You get a white reflection.
I am having JC mount mine with a back plate, just below the center marker light. Since they will have the center and right top sections off, I am having them run an antenna extension over to the curbside wardrobe. I don't know if I'll need the extension, but since the skin is open, might as well put it in. Power will be from the center marker light.

I should be able to give you a report about 11/6 or 7.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
i just bought an IBALL hitch camera at iballhitchcam.com for $139.95. It works great for hitching up. It also works from the back of the trailer but it is not a wide angle picture so I don't soley depend on it for backing yet.
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I have a wireless camera mounted on the rear window using a large suction cup that works well. I also have the 10 foot extension for the antena but will upgrade to the 20 foot since i still get alot of static on the monitor inside my pickup. I would never use the camera for backing up as the field of view is way to wide. I use the camera only to see what is behind me as I drive on the interstate and unless a vehicle is within 50 feet i cannot tell what kind it is.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I have a wireless camera mounted on the rear window using a large suction cup that works well. I also have the 10 foot extension for the antena but will upgrade to the 20 foot since i still get alot of static on the monitor inside my pickup. I would never use the camera for backing up as the field of view is way to wide. I use the camera only to see what is behind me as I drive on the interstate and unless a vehicle is within 50 feet i cannot tell what kind it is.

Gary
What brand, Gary? Is it infra red and if so, what does the picture look like at night?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
San Marcos , California
I mounted a 4ucam camera on the Lic. Plate at the rear of a 19 ft international. Then hardwired under the airstream with a connector into a four pin connector. Then hardwire under my tundra, thru the firewall and into the camera which sits on a mount at the shift console.
The camera is on at all times when I tow. When I unhitch, I can disconnect it at the waterproof 4 pin connector. It works great. Has color and shows everything behind the stream. I have had it in place for two years. If I replaced it today I would keep the same set up but would get a larger screen.
rstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
What brand, Gary? Is it infra red and if so, what does the picture look like at night?

I got the entire setup from 4ucam.com and have not yet driven after dark to check out the IR

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote