Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Understanding Tv cable hookup.

Recently bought an 05 classic. We haven't had much chance to use it yet and it is now in storage until we head South in Feb.

I couldn't quite figure out the tv connection panel.

Underneath the credenza in front of the dinette, There is a small panel with a 12Vdc socket, an antenna booster switch with LED, and in the same panel, a coax connection to connect to the tv.

Next to that panel is another small panel with just two coax connectors and a jumper from one to the other.

I understand that the booster is just for the roof mounted antenna.

What I am not sure about is what I need to do when instead of using the rooftop antenna, I want to use the camground cable.

I found the place to hook the cable up outside the trailer in the elec. locker, but I don't know what I need to change inside the trailer when switching from roof antenna to cable.

Do I need to do something with the jumper?

In my last trailer, an Award, there were two coax connectors near teh tv shelf, one was for the rooftop antenna, the other for the campground cable.

you selected which one to use based on signal source.

Any advice?

Thanks ........ Brian.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
For my '03 CCD all I do is connect outside to the cable connection at the campground and turn off the antenna booster (LED OFF by the switch) and the TV works fine. I have 2 other jcaks in the camper and can connect the TV anywhere.

When using the antenna I connect to any of the jacks and switch onn the booster and get whatever is floating in the air for free.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
For my '03 CCD all I do is connect outside to the cable connection at the campground and turn off the antenna booster (LED OFF by the switch) and the TV works fine. I have 2 other jcaks in the camper and can connect the TV anywhere.

When using the antenna I connect to any of the jacks and switch onn the booster and get whatever is floating in the air for free.
Thanks for the tip - I assumed that the coax connection associated with the booster panel was only for the rooftop antenna as it was on my last trailer and that I had to switch to one of the connections with the jumper when I wanted cable.

I'll give that a try first chance I get!

Brian.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Clancy is right - booster off when using cable (green light out), booster on when using cable (green light on). In my case I have to crawl under the dinette to see the led or change the setting - another thoughtful design from Airstream.

I've never touched the coax loop - my understanding is this connects everything to the coax outlet in the bedroom, therefore no reason to touch it.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammur View Post
Clancy is right - booster off when using cable (green light out), booster on when using cable (green light on). In my case I have to crawl under the dinette to see the led or change the setting - another thoughtful design from Airstream.

I've never touched the coax loop - my understanding is this connects everything to the coax outlet in the bedroom, therefore no reason to touch it.

Sounds good Cam, I'll give it a try!

Wonder how that works, maybe there is some sort of relay in their that switches the connection from roof antenna to cable input when you switch off the booster?

My coax connections are in the same spot as yours!

Brian.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
In our 06 Bambi we have to physically change the cable to the TV from the antenna coax (where the booster switch is) to a different coax for the satellite/cable in connection.(There is another satellite out cox to go to a 2nd TV.) This set-up may be because our unit is pre-wried for satellite...I'm not sure.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
In our 06 Bambi we have to physically change the cable to the TV from the antenna coax (where the booster switch is) to a different coax for the satellite/cable in connection.(There is another satellite out cox to go to a 2nd TV.) This set-up may be because our unit is pre-wried for satellite...I'm not sure.
That's the way it worked in my other non-airstream trailer. I'll first try what the other guys have suggested (ie leave the jumper in place and just try switching the booster off.)

Won't have chance to try it until Feb. though! Darn!

Brian.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Kyautomator

1996 25' Excella
arizona City , Arizona
I have a 91 Excela Classic, I am looking at the wiring diagram in the manual and it shows a splitter between the antenna and the power amplifier for the tv connection. When I connect my dish to the outside connector I do not get a signal to the convertor box, (If I go straight to it, it works on the TV, but doesnt seem to work thru the switch, I cant find the splitter that is refered to. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Kevin
kyautomator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
anywhere , Colorado
cable and antenna

Hi, I'm going a bit from memory, so bear with me, please. In my '03 Bambi (19'), there is a small plate for the TV connection. It has a booster button, a 12V DC plug, and a jumper cable. I cannot recall how they are labeled, but probably each end of the jumper says in or out.
If I hook a cable into the panel on the outside of the trailer, disconnect the jumper and plug the coax from my TV into the "out" receptacle (previously jumped), will I be getting signal from the cable, or from the rooftop? How do I shift from one to the other? Is that done with the booster button? I think Cam tried to answer this but said booster off when using cable, booster on when using cable (I think this means on) (green light on), when using ANTENNA.
So to repeat, I think I should have my TV to the "out" socket (formerly jumped) and then use the booster (on, with green light on) to switch from cable to antenna (booster on for antenna and off for cable). Does this sound correct? Thanks, RD
russell d is offline   Reply With Quote