Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
TV mounting - cabinet above fridge

Greetings

Does anyone know what is behind the shallow cabinet above the refrigerator in a 2006 Safari 25'? In some pics they list the microwave up there but mine is by the sink. I want to mount a TV on the wall and do not want to damage anything.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would have to guess because my trailer is much older than yours. I believe it would be the vent stack for the refer. AS's haven't changed that much over the years.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I would have to guess because my trailer is much older than yours. I believe it would be the vent stack for the refer. AS's haven't changed that much over the years.
Hi, I believe that the only thing behind there is the upper refrigerator vent. I think I would remove the refrigerator to install a backing plate a little lower than where you are talking about.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
While my trailer is older, I have the same bulkhead between the credenza and fridge. I've also removed the bulkhead in the past to service the fridge and there is something you should know about it.

It may look like it is 1/2" or 3/4" thick, but don't be fooled. Mine is of a sandwich construction, two pieces of paneling with a cardboard honeycomb core, on the top section where it is visible from both sides (living room and inside the cabinet). This sandwich construction is also on the vertical edge that you see when facing the fridge, but this thickened portion is only a strip several inches wide. If I explained this clearly enough, if you removed that panel, the side that faces the fridge, the thickened portion is P-shaped while the rest is only the thickness of a sheet of paneling. Of course my trailer is older but I doubt those bulkhead panels are more robust now.

My point after all this explanation is that you will certainly need a backing plate. I suggest gluing the thickest piece of plywood on the backside that will still allow the bulkhead to slide into place. You really need to pull that panel out to see what you are dealing with before proceeding.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Disassemble cabinets or just pull fridge

A couple variations:
Refrigerator Replacement Photos (note the fridge vent above in 2nd pic)
Dometic RM 3804 Repair! (goes on for a while after post 5 and your specific design may vary)

Only the 4 cubic foot fridges that exhaust out the side wall have space on top for microwaves. The 6 & above cu ft models cool passively through a roof vent and don't have the quiet-but-hummy fan that's up all night (he said smugly).

The more complicated that bulkhead removal got, I'd probably incline toward pulling the fridge. Unhooking the gas could or could not be a game changer depending on who's doing this.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote