Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
TV/Monitor Wall Mount

I am looking for a TV/Monitor wall mount that at least gives me some ability to tilt and Rotate the monitor and be rugged enough to take being on the road. The articulating ones seam like they would allow the monitor to get jerked around while traveling since they don't have locks or friction adjustments. I have a 22 inch HD monitor that I hook to a computer to play TV and DVD's on.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Humm.. I think I remember a post here were someone secured the monitor and arms with Velcro straps.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I bought one from Camping World which articulates and tilts. It does have the ability to tighten down, and can easily be removed from the wall mount....because I don't think I would want to leave an expensive TV on the wall...when we all know how much these trailers bounce around. I would rather take the TV down and secure it.... or secure it with some type of strap.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
I've posted this a few times, but I built a sliding dovetail type of bracket for my TVs. I, too, prefer to remove them during travel, and this allows me to simply slide them in place when I reach my destination.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
I've posted this a few times, but I built a sliding dovetail type of bracket for my TVs. I, too, prefer to remove them during travel, and this allows me to simply slide them in place when I reach my destination.
Is that red oak? What kind of wood did you use? Good design.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Is that red oak? What kind of wood did you use? Good design.
Yeah, it's just some scrap oak I had laying around. I'd use a hardwood for durability's sake and not something soft, like pine, though, even though it'd probably last for a decade.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The problem I am having is the monitor I have not is getting knocked around and it is constantly in the way. I am having problems finding a place to store it where it won't get damaged. If it is on the wall then it is out of the way and it where it needs to be all the time. I am trying to avoid moving the thing around. The one I have is already damaged and will need to be replaced. I am liking the idea of strapping the arms together so it can't move.

Perry
Old 11-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The problem I am having is the monitor I have not is getting knocked around and it is constantly in the way. I am having problems finding a place to store it where it won't get damaged. If it is on the wall then it is out of the way and it where it needs to be all the time. I am trying to avoid moving the thing around. The one I have is already damaged and will need to be replaced. I am liking the idea of strapping the arms together so it can't move.

Perry
The best place to store a television in transit if you don't have it bolted to the wall is to lay it on a bed, screen down. The mattress provides a cushion to protect against bumps and jolts, and if it's a flat-screen, you can make up the bed with the television between the top and bottom sheets, so the top sheet (tucked in) helps keep the television ON the bed. By the time you need the bed to sleep in, you'll be parked and can put the TV back where it belongs.

But on the subject of wall mounts, you shouldn't NEED to strap the arms together, if you buy the right type. Look for a swing arm that has a latch. Mine has a pin that has to be pulled up to allow the swing arm to swing. If that doesn't work for you ergonomically, you can mount the arm upside down so you pull the pin downward instead.

But my favorite mount is actually from a Nordic Tugs yacht. It's a box, that swings down from the ceiling…
Old 11-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have been putting it on the bed with pillows over it but sometimes it it finds its way onto the floor. Also I have had times where it is sitting on something while we are stopped and it gets knocked over and damamged. Most of the time it is fine but occasionally something happens and it only takes once to mess an LCD screen up. I would need a wall mount of some sort.

Perry
Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I have been putting it on the bed with pillows over it but sometimes it it finds its way onto the floor. Also I have had times where it is sitting on something while we are stopped and it gets knocked over and damamged. Most of the time it is fine but occasionally something happens and it only takes once to mess an LCD screen up. I would need a wall mount of some sort.
Then that Nordic Tugs-style ceiling mount might be just the thing for you. With it folded up and latched, the television would be inside a wooden (or in your case aluminum?) box protected from pretty much everything except roof leaks.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I can't see having to take the TV down to travel. I have had two different flat panels permanently mounted on the side of the microwave cabinet for at least 6 years with no problem. Currently, I have a 26" set. Really bumpy roads may cause the TV to nod a few degrees, but I leave the set screws in the mount just loose enough that I can grab the set and tilt it back to level.

I put a 3/4" plywood doubler inside the microwave cabinet so that the mount doesn't depend on the lightweight plywood wall for stability.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
I have been putting it on the bed with pillows over it but sometimes it it finds its way onto the floor.
Same here...I store mine screen down on a pillow in one of the storage boxes under the couch.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We put ours atop a pillow on the floor between the queen bed and the wall. Has never moved but it can only move forward if anything. Works good for us.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
The TV in the living area of our AS is wall mounted on a swivel mount on an aluminum plate attached to the wall. It has velcro straps that hold it stationary while traveling. We have never had a problem with it moving. We decided to add a second TV in the bedroom area and I made a similar aluminum mounting plate and attached a swivel mount from Walmart. My DW made some velcro straps to hold the TV in place and it works just as well as the original.