Old 12-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
TV For Swing Mount

Folks,

Considering updating to a digital, this one needs converter box etc.

The pic shows the mounting plate mounts roughly below the center-line of the TV. I looked at a couple of new replacements and seems the mounting area is just above the center of the TV. That would lower the TV on the swing arm mount and pretty sure is would be below the top of the microwave cabinet, would not fold in against the wall.

Ideas for a mounting system modification or TV idea that might work?

Thanks,

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	202366  

Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Raise the bracket?

How about raising the mounting arm bracket where it attaches to the wall? With a new TV, like you say, the bracket will mount in the center of the back, placing the TV lower. So change the other side, where the bracket mounts to the wall; raise it. Is that not a possibility?

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If you had access to a sheet metal brake making a simple drop adapter from sheet metal would be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
My AS did not have any mounted TVs or mounts. I purchased a mount for the included TV which I updated a few months later. Then last December I added a mount for for a new TV in the lounge area. While I replaced the fridge, I added a bracing bracket to the back of the wall with the fridge out. I installed the fridge and thought everything would be good to go. Then I found that the new TV had a differenct VESA configuration- they are all X but there are differences. Long story, I bought three TVs (two were open box) due to this mounting issue and picture quality and found that EACH one (same size- 32") had different mounting configs and different sized bolt requirements!

I ended up purchasing a mount adapter kit through amazon since I did not want to uninstall my refrigerator! The point is that while you are replacing your TV, consider too that the mount may not work, or you also may need adaptation just to get the TV on the mount in addition to your microwave clearance. That may lead to a different mount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	215075  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic S/O
I just checked and they ran some cables thru the wall mounting plate. I'm not ready to drill more holes in the wall. I'll look for a adapter plate.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #6

I had a similar problem. I ended up fabricating an adapter with a piece of 1/4" plywood.
One set of bolts mounted to the new tv and another to the AS swivel bracket. I did a lot of measuring and laid it out on graph paper. Worked well. I'm out of town right now so can't post a picture.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I just checked and they ran some cables thru the wall mounting plate. I'm not ready to drill more holes in the wall. I'll look for a adapter plate.
At Home Depot you can pick up a piece of sheet aluminum or stainless steel (or regular steel and paint it black). I got a piece or regular steel for another project and it was only $6.57. I would think you could fashion something out of that.

Another thought would be to use a piece of plastic cutting board. It should be strong enough and maybe easier to work with for drilling, cutting etc.

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
This might work, although it is rather expensive:

https://www.mountnmover.com/shop/ind...a-dp-vesa.html
Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
All you need is a plate with two sets of holes in it. One set for the holes on the arm side and then the second set at the proper distance for the TV side hole pattern. How much of an offset do you need? I would use 1/8" aluminum or steel a little thinner than that. You might have to drill and tap the mounting plate for the screws on the mount side. In which case the thicker aluminum is better. The holes for the TV side would be through holes.

You could remove the plate that is on the arm now and just make a completely new plate with the holes where you want them.

Perry
Old 06-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
1966 28' Ambassador
Vancouver , Washington
Here's my set up. On the back side I used embedded nuts for the bolts.

Weirdly I just noticed my iPhone has a different forum account then my main forum account...

Rasjad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-4.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	215243   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	215244  

Old 06-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If you had access to a sheet metal brake making a simple drop adapter from sheet metal would be easy.

I just went through all of this as my AS was broken into, the tv stolen and I had to replace my tv.
My problem was that the power supply and the coax connection were mounted on the back of the new Samsung tv and there was no room for them with a flush mount bracket. Washers on the back of the tv and on the bracket gave me enough space. Problem solved I thought.
When I got all that done my wife decided she wanted the tv to swivel away from the wall. I purchased a swing out bracket at Costco for about $70. The bracket had many holes and I used the 4 that gave me clearance for the coax and power supply. It mounted the tv low and the bracket shows above the tv, but hey nobody is perfect. Using the 4 holes which would have hidden the bracket would have covered the plug for the power supply.
Rather than metal as J Morgan suggests, I would use 3/8 inch plywood if the holes in existing bracket would not line up. Plywood is much easier to work with than metal Mount the tv on the plywood and drill holes in the plywood for the bracket. New Tv's are light and even 1/4 inch plywood would probably work. If the plywood shows, it can be finished to sorta match the finish in the Airstream.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

I didn't see RKL 1954's post when I made mine. His mount is exactly what I would do.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri

Best Buy adapter plate $14.95.Why mess with plywood???Monoprice - 200X200mm Bracket Universal Adapter

• Model: 103402
  • SKU: 1310831544
Old 09-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic S/O
My solution, new 24" TV

I looked some more and found a 24" that had the mount just a fraction above center instead of the higher mount. But it would have rubbed on the top of the cabinet. Take a look at the first pic in this thread and notice the swing arm is mounted in the center of its opening, now look at this pic, all I did was take out the pivot screw and rearrange the spacer bushings to move the arm to the top position and all spacer bushings are now below the arm, raising the TV mount. The new TV mounted w/o modification to the existing plate. So the old analog 19" has been replaced by a 24" digital.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SWING MOUNT.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	221822   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW 24.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	221823