Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhohe View Post
I have a 2007 25' Safari FB w/Sony "HDTV ready" 19 unit. I believe I need to add a digital converter to get DTV signals from my Winegard antenae which I recently upgraded with a "Wingman" add-on. The thing is that from time to time would still want to take advantage of a campground's cable. I believe my antenea and the cable connection are tapped into the common feed into the Sony unit. Is there an optimum place to install the digital conveter. Can I continue to use my Sony remote with the antenea feed thru the converter box? Is there a Sony add-on product that would take this TV from Digital Ready to HDTV? Thanks!
There are a couple of issues here.

You have an HDTV, that means the tv will display HD quality programs

It seams you do not have a Digital Tuner in that tv in which case you will need a converter box.

If you install a converter box you will have to use the converter box control while watching programs off your antenna. You will also have to scan for channels each time you change locations. TV set to channel 3. If you get a converter box make sure you get one with a GOOD PASS THROUGH system as you will need it while watching campground cable . Zenith makes one that is good.

You will be a able to use just the tv control when hooked up to cable.

As mentioned above now that the converter boxes are not subsidized the cost and the 2 controls make a new TV look interesting.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #42
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Wineguard arms

For what it's worth, the Wineguard antenna on our new trailer has an additional two short arms that our older Wineguards did not have. Hooked to our two year old Jensen marine 12 volt TV which does have a digital tuner, reception is excellent when I can get a signal. However, in places where analog reception was marginal (snowy) I get no digital signal.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
For what it's worth, the Wineguard antenna on our new trailer has an additional two short arms that our older Wineguards did not have. Hooked to our two year old Jensen marine 12 volt TV which does have a digital tuner, reception is excellent when I can get a signal. However, in places where analog reception was marginal (snowy) I get no digital signal.
That is the nature of a digital signal either you have it or you don't, snow is not an option.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
Travlers Rest warned me that if I hooked my sat. receiver and their cable up at the same time and blow their cable splitter (my cost). Sooooo I mention this because you are introducing your power amplifier from the antenna and power from the digital box to your TV along with the cable signal (hopfully through a splitter) for isolation, I kind of think the TRAVELERS REST problem is a result of power on one of the shield grounds (shouldnt be there) from the different coax cables.
letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote