Old 11-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Diane

I assume you are no further from Philadelphia then I am. I get 23 digital channel here in my driveway.

If you have not yet seen in print that your tv has a digital tuner I would assume it does not. Tvs were sold using the term Digital Ready, HD, High Definition and Digital Tuner. Only the last will receive a digital signal without a converter box.

If you know anyone that has purchased a converter box ask them if you can borrow it for an hour. Install it and check.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
Hi,

What's the digital antenna look like? Any pictures?

Walt
There is no such thing as a "digital antenna". An antenna is an antenna. Our old antenna laying up in the attic, the rabbit ears in the bedroom, or any other antenna that worked before will work just as well or better with the digital signals.

The digital picture, both at home and in the Airstream, is worlds sharper than the analog picture ever was. I can now get good reception in the Airstream many miles further away than before. At a recent rally in Stonewall, I had every Austin station clearly while the trailer next to me could get only one station and that with fairly poor reception. I even pick up stations as far away as San Antonio that I never knew were there.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Diane

I assume you are no further from Philadelphia then I am. I get 23 digital channel here in my driveway.

If you have not yet seen in print that your tv has a digital tuner I would assume it does not. Tvs were sold using the term Digital Ready, HD, High Definition and Digital Tuner. Only the last will receive a digital signal without a converter box.

If you know anyone that has purchased a converter box ask them if you can borrow it for an hour. Install it and check.
Our manual does say it has a digital tuner, and so does the Samsung help desk. But I am quite a bit farther from Philadelphia than you are. I am in Cape May County, less than a mile from the ocean.

Thanks
Diane
Old 11-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Diane

Since TV is line of sight, you may be too far from Philadelphia to get a digital signal. If your analog signal is strong, you should get digital, however if is is weak, but watchable, you most likely will not.

A year and a half ago we were at a Rally at Bass Lake, CA, in the hills 43 miles from Fresno, CA. Just for the fun of it, I hooked up the old antenna on our 1965 Caravel, and pointed it toward Fresno. We watched High Definition Digital from that location. Now, Bass Lake is about 2,000 feet higher than Fresno, so line of sight was not a problem. If you have hills, or tall nearby buildings, you will have trouble getting a digital signal from Philadelphia.

You might want to hook up and take a morning trip to somewhere close to Philadelphia and do a channel search, and see what you get, before you make yourself crazy with doubt. You may well find that you are in good shape, and have no problem except distance.

Also, antenna direction is much more critical with digital than with analog. Just a few degrees off, and you get nothing, especially at a distance.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #33
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Citrus Heights , California
for info try
dtvanswers.com

also antennaweb.org has a lot of info - they have a chart that indicated what stations are available when you type in your zip code. If you know where you are travelling to you could know in advance what's available!

They also describe VHF and UHF reception. the low channels on VHF usually come in a little off here at the vinyard. (3 & 6 ) I'm looking forward to the new format.

The antenna on the Excella was missing when I acquired it - so now I'll be researching the newer UHF antennas for use while traveling. I'm thinking that the current line of trailer antenna's will be revamped when the buying public understands what dtv reception is all about.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
for info try
dtvanswers.com

also antennaweb.org has a lot of info - they have a chart that indicated what stations are available when you type in your zip code. If you know where you are travelling to you could know in advance what's available!

They also describe VHF and UHF reception. the low channels on VHF usually come in a little off here at the vinyard. (3 & 6 ) I'm looking forward to the new format.

The antenna on the Excella was missing when I acquired it - so now I'll be researching the newer UHF antennas for use while traveling. I'm thinking that the current line of trailer antenna's will be revamped when the buying public understands what dtv reception is all about.
Please do not purchase a special antenna the normal Winegard that is on most trailers will receive all the digital signals. The advertisements you see for Digital Antennas are just because cars are not selling and they ran out of snake oil.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #35
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Howie-- My excella does not have an antenna!!

I was thinking about getting a "small" UHF unit that I could bring along on my wood kayak. dual function.

about the revampin--

in the future I would think that the big old ugly space taking up wingard will be a thing of the past. Opening up more roof space for mounting of solar panels or R/C helicopter rooftop LZ.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
[quote=doorgunner;641870]Howie-- My excella does not have an antenna!!

I was thinking about getting a "small" UHF unit that I could bring along on my wood kayak. dual function.
/quote]

TOUCHE
Great idea maybe I will fit the front seat of my kayak with an TV and a couple of batteries for solo kayaking.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #37
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
and a small solar array deck mounted to power the tele and trickle the batts!!

O.K. enough of the hijack.

I was trying to give folks a better understanding of wave propagation, uhf/vhf types.
The antenna web I listed does a great job on explaining this mystical transfer of energy..and what lind of antenna would work best for one's needs. Me I need another cup o joe

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 11-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Great information Doorgunner, and Howie.

I checked the website Anntennaweb.org, what a helpful site! According to them, I should be able to receive some digital signals at my house. There are a few stations much closer than Philadelphia, but I am not getting those stations either. I think I will have to get my my hubby to take a ride in the next few weeks so we can find out for sure if I have a problem, or if it is just my location.

Ahhh.....Kayaking, now that is something that will have to wait till spring! Maybe a nice trip down the Mullica or Oswego rivers in the Pine barrens.

Diane
Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Ft Wright , Kentucky
I have a 2007 25' Safari FB w/Sony "HDTV ready" 19 unit. I believe I need to add a digital converter to get DTV signals from my Winegard antenae which I recently upgraded with a "Wingman" add-on. The thing is that from time to time would still want to take advantage of a campground's cable. I believe my antenea and the cable connection are tapped into the common feed into the Sony unit. Is there an optimum place to install the digital conveter. Can I continue to use my Sony remote with the antenea feed thru the converter box? Is there a Sony add-on product that would take this TV from Digital Ready to HDTV? Thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #40
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I just replaced my Sony 19" for these reasons; I didn't want another box to mount, drawing more power, more cables to route around, another remote control, and the confusion of trying to pass a cable signal through when we are in campgrounds that have it. There are lots of good HDTV's around in that size for around $200 or less.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhohe View Post
I have a 2007 25' Safari FB w/Sony "HDTV ready" 19 unit. I believe I need to add a digital converter to get DTV signals from my Winegard antenae which I recently upgraded with a "Wingman" add-on. The thing is that from time to time would still want to take advantage of a campground's cable. I believe my antenea and the cable connection are tapped into the common feed into the Sony unit. Is there an optimum place to install the digital conveter. Can I continue to use my Sony remote with the antenea feed thru the converter box? Is there a Sony add-on product that would take this TV from Digital Ready to HDTV? Thanks!
There are a couple of issues here.

You have an HDTV, that means the tv will display HD quality programs

It seams you do not have a Digital Tuner in that tv in which case you will need a converter box.

If you install a converter box you will have to use the converter box control while watching programs off your antenna. You will also have to scan for channels each time you change locations. TV set to channel 3. If you get a converter box make sure you get one with a GOOD PASS THROUGH system as you will need it while watching campground cable . Zenith makes one that is good.

You will be a able to use just the tv control when hooked up to cable.

As mentioned above now that the converter boxes are not subsidized the cost and the 2 controls make a new TV look interesting.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Wineguard arms

For what it's worth, the Wineguard antenna on our new trailer has an additional two short arms that our older Wineguards did not have. Hooked to our two year old Jensen marine 12 volt TV which does have a digital tuner, reception is excellent when I can get a signal. However, in places where analog reception was marginal (snowy) I get no digital signal.

Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote