Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We have been enjoying digital for nearly two years now both at home and in our Caravel. Digital does seem to be much more direction sensitive than analog. If you are a little off with analog you may get a little show or static. With digital, if you are very much off, you get hesitation in picture or sound or both, or you loose the signal entirely.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #16
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We went to Wal-Mart (not my favorite place) and purchased a Magnavox digital box for $49.00. We also sent away for the goverment rebate of $40.00. Real simple; take the cable from the booster to the TV and plug it into the box, plug the box into the TV and connect the 120V power. Put the Flat Screen on ch. 3, turn on the box, run set-up and you are all set. No need the change ay thing else including the antena. All works really well.

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
I have a 2008 Safari SS SE with the 23 " digital flat screen and I am not able to pick up digital broadcasts. I know the stations may be different, but one local station did a test this week. The broadcast in both analog and digital, to the same station, and they shut off the analog for one minute. All my TV's in the house (we have cabel) were fine, but the trailer picture went blank for that minute.

I checked the Samsung manual, and it shows where you can view digital signal stregnth via the menu. When I go to that screen, that option is faded out, and I cannot access it. I went to the channel setup screen, and I can view all channels that the TV is picking up, and they were all analog type, no digital at all.

I was trying all this while parked at home, and I do not get very good reception via the antenna from here. Do you think analog is easier to pick up with an antenna than digital. I have been reading on the internet, and also seen on TV, that some antennas are NOT capable of receiving a digital signal.

It will be one year Dec 8th since we purchased this AS,so I wanted to get this resolved before the warrenty is up,but I cannot convince the dealership that I have a problem. The sales manager said I can only get digital when I have cable or a dish, but the salesmen said I should get it with the antenna.

I never camp where there is a cable hookup, so my TV will be worthless if I cannot get signal via the antenna.

Diane
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Diane, Sitting in my trailer right now and watching HD feed from the antenna and what is likely the same 23" Samsung that you have. It works well. Make sure the antenna amp is on. You may also have to rotate your antenna to get the optimal signal. Use the signal strength meter in the TV (Menu > Channel > Signal Strength) to help you when you are tuning. Also make sure the the cable coming from the wall to the TV is plugged into the ANT tuner (not CABLE) on the back of the TV and you are tuned to the AIR input by pushing the ANTENNA button on the remote.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom View Post
I have a 2008 Safari SS SE with the 23 " digital flat screen and I am not able to pick up digital broadcasts.

I checked the Samsung manual, and it shows where you can view digital signal stregnth via the menu.
Diane
Diane

You mention that your TV id Digital. Unfortunately that is a grossly miss used word. The important thing is does the TV have a "digital tuner". If it does you will be able to receive digital stations. Now that said digital signals are weaker than analog signals so you will either get a picture or a notation "No Signal"

I suspect your TV does not have a digital tuner and thus you will need a converter box.

I have wired my trailer for Cable, Sat. Ant. and Ant. Digital. I have attached a picture of the wiring but must add I am going to have to add a second A/B box because of interference on the lower channels while using a campground cable in an area that has local Digital Signals available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0241.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	71628  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Diane, Sitting in my trailer right now and watching HD feed from the antenna and what is likely the same 23" Samsung that you have. It works well. Make sure the antenna amp is on. You may also have to rotate your antenna to get the optimal signal. Use the signal strength meter in the TV (Menu > Channel > Signal Strength) to help you when you are tuning. Also make sure the the cable coming from the wall to the TV is plugged into the ANT tuner (not CABLE) on the back of the TV and you are tuned to the AIR input by pushing the ANTENNA button on the remote.
Thanks, but I have done all that already, and still no picture with digital. I have the amp on, am plugged into the ANT tuner, and have adjusted the antenna. When I go to the Menu>Channel>Signal Strength option, I cannot even select that option from the menu. I see it, but it is light grey and you cannot select it, when you scroll down it goes right past that option.

I am starting to think I have a problem with my TV now.

Diane
Old 11-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Diane

You mention that your TV id Digital. Unfortunately that is a grossly miss used word. The important thing is does the TV have a "digital tuner". If it does you will be able to receive digital stations. Now that said digital signals are weaker than analog signals so you will either get a picture or a notation "No Signal"

I suspect your TV does not have a digital tuner and thus you will need a converter box.

I have wired my trailer for Cable, Sat. Ant. and Ant. Digital. I have attached a picture of the wiring but must add I am going to have to add a second A/B box because of interference on the lower channels while using a campground cable in an area that has local Digital Signals available.
According the Samsung, and the dealer, the TV in my AS has a digital tuner. But I am doubting that, since I cannot even access the digital options in the menu on the TV. But it could also be that the signal is weak. I get very poor analog reception here with the Antenna, so your comment is making me think perhaps if I were somewhere with better reception it might work. But since the warrenty is up in a week, I want to be sure. But it will be hard to take an hour drive just to check this out with Thanksgiving coming!

Thanks

Diane
Old 11-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Diane

Make a call to Samsung. I have found their customer service to be very good. They will at least be able to answer why the menu shows some items in gray scale and if in fact the tv has a digital tuner.
800 726 7864

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Diane~

We have an '07, but our TV was installed by the dealer, not Airstream. There is a little button on the outlet for DC power that has to be pushed in to get cable, pushed out for air. You might try this button if you have one. (You could also try to find a teenager, most of them seem to have a real good understanding of this stuff.)

Leslie
Old 11-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Diane

Make a call to Samsung. I have found their customer service to be very good. They will at least be able to answer why the menu shows some items in gray scale and if in fact the tv has a digital tuner.
800 726 7864
Actually I have been on the phone with Samsung for the last 20 minutes. I called them earlier in the week, but got no where. This time I spent 15 minutes with someone who was very nice,but knew absolutely nothing, and finally asked to be transferred to someone who had a clue. Wish I had said that sooner.

Basically they said my TV should pick up digital signals, but they may be too weak here. The options are greyed out when you are not receiving digital signal at all. They gave me a case number, and he said as long as this was recorded within my warrenty, they will honor the warrenty up to 90 days, and even 6 months later with special authorization. (meaning I guess that I would have to push the issue) My first dog show is in the end of March, and it is very close to Philadelphia, so I should get digital signal there. IF I don't then I will know the TV is defective.

Thanks

Diane
Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Also, for anyone else with the Samsung TV, they said you must run the channel programming option first to pick up digital channels. Even after doing that, I did not get digital channels. But it is important to know, since if you travel to different areas, you will need to run that option again to tune in the digital channels if using an antenna.

Diane
Old 11-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
My signal comes from the standard wineguard antenna into the built-in signal amplifier (behind the wall plate), through the trailer's coax to the rear where I feed it directly from that wall plate into a digital converter (velcroed to the tv) and from there to the tv.

Works fine and in fact I get a much better picture on all channels than I did before. I used to have to put the antenna one direction to pickup 5 of the channels and a different direction to pick up the 6th. Now I just position the antenna in one direction and leave it and I get all 6 channels. It needs the built-in signal amplifier though.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom View Post
...<snip>...Basically they said my TV should pick up digital signals....>snip<...

Diane
The first thing to do is to determine whether your TV has a digital receiver or not...find the serial number either on the TV or in the manual and go to the manufacturer's website...they should have a link to page with model numbers and information as to what models are digital tuner-equipped. That's what we did with or Sony...unfortunately, our Sony (in a 2006 AS) did not have the digital tuner...but with the box we added added we are able to receive up digital broadcasts quite well with our standard antenna....

Good luck! (PS: that suggestion about finding a techno-dweeb teenager is not a bad idea!! I feel so audio-visual challenged much of the time.)
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
I did check and my TV has a digital receiver. I believe all 2008's with the 23" flat screen had digital tuners in the TV's.

I also spoke to Airstream, and they assured me that they would cover this under their warrenty if in February I am not able to get any reception. I was thinking my warrenty with AS was only one year, and the AS rep told me it is two years. He said they warrenty even the TV for two years. Funny that the dealer did not tell me that I had a two year warrenty! The AS rep made a record of my call, and said to call him if I have any problems. I felt very reassured after talking to the AS rep.

Diane