Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2002, 01:48 PM   #1
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
TV Connection Plate

This question for anyone having an Airstream 345 Motor Home

In the Salon area of my 1987 Motor Home, there is located in the TV Table on the wall, a plate where the Coax Connector is at the top of a wall plate, below it is a switch which lights a red light when it is push ON. Below that is a round "Port" similar to that found with a cigarette lighter. It is the same size as a cigarette light and has a raised rim.
There is nothing in the owner's manual explaining that wall plate or hooking up a TV, nor is there an explanation of the switch or the port below the switch which looks like where you would put a cigarette light.
If anyone call tell me what this wall plate is all about, it would be appreciated.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 02:45 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
TV Hookup

The cigarette-lighter-like opening is for powering a 12v TV. It is also good for powering little dust vacuums, small inverters, etc.

The switch powers the antenna booster. When the red light is on, the booster is powered. When the red light is off (in my rig, at least), the TV is hooked to the cable connection on the outside of the rig.

There should be threaded coaxial outputs for the TV antenna input, either on that plate or nearby.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:24 PM   #3
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Thank you very much Pahuska - That certainly clears up the matter of the wall plate in the TV Table and the "Cigarette lighter Port". You brought up another point however, and that is where is the "cable connector" that you speak of. When I removed the wall panel that the TV connector (which does have a threaded coax terminal on it), I found the wires for a telephone line which I presued at one time there was a telephone jack in that area. I got a telephone jack and have installed it, but I am now anxious to find the other end of the telephone line and the "cable connecter you mentioned. If I can trouble you further for some insight into these two additional questions, I will indeed be grateful for your assistance in this regard,
Old 06-15-2002, 04:48 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Coax Connector

I'm not sure I can help you very much without seeing the setup.

Since you state that there is a button and red light on the plate, I would suspect that the booster is located there. If the booster is on the back of the plate (a small circuit board with several threaded connections), then the other end of at least one coaxial cable should be at the antenna. There may be a second coaxial cable going off to a second set plate somewhere else in the unit and possibly a third coaxial cable going to a cable connector on the outside of the unit. I just described my own setup.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-15-2002, 05:37 PM   #5
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Thanks again John - I notice that you have a brand new Airstream, so it is possible my older unit is not that sophisticated.
There is a working antenna on the vehicle, and while there is a TV located in the Bedroom, that one switch probably handles the antenna for both locations - I cannot find another wall plate anywhere else in the vehicle. I did find a raw purple wire and a raw white white in the overhead cabinet at the extreme rear of the vehicle in the bedroom, and when I checked voltage, it was a 12V lead (purple) and a ground (white ) so I;m guessing it is the long lost location for a doorbell that is nowhere to be found in the coach. I will start looking around in outside compartments for the connection for cable TV and a phone jack. You have been very helpful -- thanks much,
Old 06-15-2002, 06:10 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Booster

There may be some differences due to age, but the setup I described was exactly the same on my first trailer quite a few years ago. I don't think there has been any change in the basic TV hookup for a long time.

Thee will be only one booster per antenna. The booster sends a voltage up to a circuit in the antenna when the red lisht is on. Any other coax outlets in the unit are slaves to that booster. To use any other outlet, the red light must be on at the booster.

On my unit, the cable connection and the outside phone connection are under a cover on the street side that looks exactly like the electrical duplex outlet on the curb side. I didn't realize what was under there until I opened the cover the first time.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-16-2002, 03:01 AM   #7
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
OK - Fine business John - I did find a telephone jack in the street side rear outside compartment where the electrical cord and water hose reel are located, and ran conductivity on it so I do have integrity in the phone jack I installed inside. I did not see a cable TV connector, but of course I didn't know what it looks like, etc. Is is similar to the threaded connector on the wall plug. Really appreciate knowing that the switch(red light) also applies to the TV in the bedroom. Didn't realize you had a trailer - Really love the Fantastic Fans which a prior owner has installed. Wrote the company and was surprised to learn that they have a lifetime warranty. Regards,
Old 06-16-2002, 08:02 AM   #8
Contributing Member

TV Connector

It should look just like the threaded connector on the plate.

There is probably some sort of cover over the exterior connector. I have seen everything from little rubber caps, little metal caps on beaded chains, right up to the spring-loaded AC outlet cover that I described as being on mine. Even if it is in a compartment, there should be some sort of cap on the outside connector.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-16-2002, 08:08 AM   #9
Contributing Member

Fantastic Fans

I also really love the Fantastic Fans. I installed one on my previous trailer and used it a lot. I often stop overnight at truck stops or rest areas and I would open the louvered window by the bed and let the fan run on low all night. It made a lot of Texas nights bearable.

My new International AS has two Fantastic Fans, one in the bedroom and one in the galley. Both fans are thermostat controlled and both have the rain sensors which my old fan didn't have. I haven't tested the rain sensors yet.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-16-2002, 11:58 AM   #10
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Cable Connector and Fantastic Fans

Thanks again John -- Yes, now I have found the outside connector - it was immediately adjacent to the telephone jack, in the compartment with the electrical hook cord. No cover on either, but I will figure out some sort of fabric (bag) cover for both, I agree that is needed - I hope the phone jack and cable connector have not been damaged already. Yes, there are two Fantastic Fans on this vehicle - we have not been able to take this vehicle on the road since we purchased it because it has been in the shop for extensive repairs - We bought it on May 2, and it has been in the shop until Thursday, but we have it now and have ripped out all the carpet - replacing most of the area in the galley, toilet area and hallway to bedroom - replacing the carpet in the salon area, and the balance with Pergo. We are hoping to take Belle on a maiden voyage in September to Upper Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and down into Arkansas. We had the fans on while working in her with temperatures here in the 90's and they certainly make the coach tolerable - would not be without them. Your assistance with this problem has been a very pleasant exchange, and we are most thankful. We just joined WBCCI, and prior to our main trip, we are planning to spend a few days at Palmetto Cove, our SC WBCCI Park.
Kindest regards,
Old 06-16-2002, 06:00 PM   #11
Contributing Member

My pleasure

Glad to be of help.
WBCCI #9632