Old 01-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Joe,
When I purchase an Airstream the first thing that needs to come off is the antenna. We do not need TV when we are camping and they just look bad on our beautiful machines. Saying this does not say that I do a good job taking off the antennas. I am giving you a link for the page of the new owner of my first Airstream. He does everything right including fixing my cobbles like the antenna. I hope it helps you. http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream/Leak/leak.htm

Old 01-31-2006, 09:58 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

canton , tx
Thanks Chaplain Kent...The connection helped a lot...my antenna is the elec remote type and nothing shows on the inside of the ceiling...on the top side the elec unit is rivited from the inside...joe

Old 01-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
tv antennaremoval/leak repair

Thank you for the information. I have the same leak problem in our 1981 international 24 footer. This will help with one of my spring projects. Wade
Old 01-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Antenna Haters

I don't suppose any of you antenna haters would have the old manual telescoping type you'd mind parting with...

I actually really like the looks of the front-mounted antennas on the trailers from the 50's and early 60's. On my '58 I have the mounting brackets and the handle and gear assembly to raise the antenna, I'm just missining the mast and aerial itself.

I'd love to score one if you have one to part with!

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
on the top side the elec unit is rivited from the inside...joe
My motor home has the same antenna. I took off the antenna leaving the bracket attached to the roof and covered the rivets with a good helping of Vulcan. I also pulled out the antenna wire, fashioned and attached a plate patch to the hole and covered that with a good helping of Vulcan. The area has not leaked since the removal. Interestingly the antenna laid over the top of the vent when it was in the down position now I can fully open the vent.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #20
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
antenna removal

ankornuta - I think we can discuss after I remove my antenna this spring. Wade
Old 02-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
I don't suppose any of you antenna haters would have the old manual telescoping type you'd mind parting with...

I actually really like the looks of the front-mounted antennas on the trailers from the 50's and early 60's. On my '58 I have the mounting brackets and the handle and gear assembly to raise the antenna, I'm just missining the mast and aerial itself.

I'd love to score one if you have one to part with!

Thanks!
I would be happy to send it to you but mine was mounted to the roof. I agree on your model and year trailer the TV antenna looks good but on mine it was out of place. The antenna sat on top of the roof like a mass of wires from some old science fiction thriller. The control box for the electric raising and lowering had more diodes and rhizomes than the space shuttle. Trust me this is not something you would want on your beautiful vintage trailer.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Eeek... Right, I was thinking this was one of the front-mounted "pole" type antennas that so many people remove and toss.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Okeechobee , Florida
Hi... Couple of questions.
How do you remove the antenna (leaking...) and replace it with a satellite dish? Is there a conversion package (hopefully...) out there. If so, does it work well? Might as well upgrade while doing the repair. Thanks for any info. in advance. It's great to have a place to be able to get input on these tasks like this!
Happy ASing!
Dera
Old 02-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuszick
Hi... Couple of questions.
How do you remove the antenna (leaking...) and replace it with a satellite dish? Is there a conversion package (hopefully...) out there. If so, does it work well? Might as well upgrade while doing the repair. Thanks for any info. in advance. It's great to have a place to be able to get input on these tasks like this!
Happy ASing!
Dera
Deral,
Airstream doesn't reccomend putting a satellite dish on top and neither do I...(I have one that is coming off) Couple of reasons, one it adds unwanted extra load to the roof, when it is up the wind can catch it and it stresses the area of roof it is mounted on. Another reason, at least here on the eastern seaboard...TREES... most campgrounds are in the woods and it is very difficult if not impossible to make a satellite dish work thru the trees. My reccomendation would be to replace or repair your antenna and put the dish on a stand alone tripod.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
wineguard source diagrams and parts

Wineguard url for fixing antenna http://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/w...000%20TECH.PDF
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
Antenna fix

Ours was lifeless when we bought the trailer. I love to take something and make it work. I replaced the gears, then figured out how it is supposed to work-i.e. spread out as it goes up. All the plastic arms that spread out the arms had long since dryrotted and disappeared, so I guesstimated the length of them and made 12 identical's, riveted them on, reassembled and viola'! she works! I could'nt have been prouder and she still looks original!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Firth , Nebraska
72 Tradewind,
What material did you use for the links that make it open up? Mine goes up and down fine but all the "dipole " links are missing .
Old 05-05-2006, 03:10 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Winguard is different too!?

Hello guys -

While my trailer is a bit newer than yours, the reference to the 'di-pole' rods on the OTA atteneas peaks my interest. Something for free is always good!? Right..?

I have the 'solid, one wing (N & S) WinGuard antenea. Is there a way to add to what I have or is what you are discussing a totally seperate unit entirely? IE - Can I add the di-pole wings to mine or am I then messing with an all together kettle of fish? Gumbo anyone!?

That cable and satellite TV ( for serious monthly/ yearly $'s) just turns me off - seriously. Is there not so much more that we can see right out the RV window??? On the other hand, there are times when I have been known to imbide into the DVD library somewhat liberally. That goes for the OTA stuff like PBS, as well. Other network crap is, well just that, crap.

So, can my lowely WinGuard get me the type of reception I would like - PBS and the like - without the requisite monthly $'s by getting it OTA - and for a perhaps modest investment of a few 'di-poles' added to the existing unit.

I am yours..... Guide me. I am a fast learner!!!! Seriosly, I catch on fairly quick!

Axel