Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
TV antenna

Today after rotating the tv antenna from inside the Airstream ('95 Sovereign) to get some channels, the tv didn't find anything so I locked the antenna wheel in place and turned the handle to lower the antenna again.

A little later, as I stepped outside, I noticed that the antenna was still up. I turned the handle again but it didn't lower the antenna: it made the antenna turn ( which is usually accomplished by rotating the antenna wheel).

I climbed up the roof and found the connection between the antenna and the roof loose. I have no idea how this is supposed to be, but the only thing I did for now is to manually lower the antenna (while sitting on the roof), so tomorrow we can continue our drive. Hopefully the antenna doesn't fly of the roof.

Does this sound familiar to someone? Easy fix or did something likely brake in the antenna mounting system?

jornvango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I'm assuming you have the Winegard antenna. Maybe this diagram will help. The crank is connected to 7 which is called the elevating shaft and there is a worm gear on the top end of this shaft. It engages 6, a plastic elevating gear. The elevating gear is visible from above. It is likely missing some teeth. This gear is relatively easy to replace and most RV stores carry it. They make it out of plastic in part so that it can function as a mechanical fuse, breaking before something harder to replace breaks. Winegard recommends spraying this assy with silicone lubricant twice a year to flush out any junk and to lubricate the gears. They also recommend removing a small plug to spray silicone lubricant between the rotating base parts. All this is done topside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3122430271.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	173163  
AIR 47751
Air Safe Hitch, Reese Dual Cam 800#, Centramatics
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote