Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
Gambierite

1979 31' Sovereign
vancouver , BC
Question Troubleshooting car audio system wiring?

(This isn't particularly Airstream related, except that it's _for_ an airstream =) If there's a better place to ask, please let me know!)

The 8-track player in my 79 sovereign is busted, so I'm trying to install a Clarion RDX655Dz CD deck that I ripped out of the tow vehicle (since we never listen to music in the (very loud) Suburban).

I don't have the wiring instructions for the Clarion deck, but what I managed to glean from the net is that it seems:

* the yellow lead is for the "always live" +12V line (ignition off)
* the red lead is for the "ignition on" +12V line
* the black lead is for the ground

There are lots of other leads apart from the speaker wires and antenna wire, most which I assume would be for an MD unit.

Note: The wiring harness out the back of the deck has two yellow leads, each with an in-line fuse, and both were wired together. I don't know why.

Now, I don't have a spare car battery handy right now so I'm using a cheap 300mA DC converter (two, actually: one just 12V nominally, reads more like 15V using the multimeter, and one which supposedly can do 3,4.5,6,9 and 12V).

If I connect the yellow and red leads to +12V (roughly), and the black to the negative lead, the deck turns on, asks me to push the PWR button. If there is no CD in, it just says "COMPLETE". If there is a CD in, it goes through a self-check phase, then cycles between GOOD-BYE and restarting.

It feels like it's doing a diagnostics test and failing.

If I recall correctly, the voltage I picked up in the airstream off of the connector to the 8-track player read more like 10V. I assume that's close enough to power the deck.

Could it be really finicky re: the voltage in? Is 300mA too wimpy? Alternatively, did I forget something crucial re: wiring?

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

--david
davida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
You got it right. Your 300ma is too wimpy.

When the unit trys to start up it draws to much current from that supply and resets as the voltage drops.

Why not just wire it up in the trailer and see how it works out?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
Gambierite

1979 31' Sovereign
vancouver , BC
Will do...

Thanks for the reply. I'll do that. As to why not just try it, it's just that the trailer is "there" (on an island I get to on the weekends), the deck is "here", and there aren't any sources of equipment or internet connections "there". (I did try it last time, but hadn't read about the red 'ignition' lead, and so it didn't work.

Cheers,

--david
davida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Ah, sorry about that. I forget how lucky I am to have my trailer parked next to my house.

Good luck with your radio install.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote