Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
... 'they' said it wouldn't work.

The local TV (television) station digital broadcast tests 'said' that our flat screen 22" LG television hooked up to our orginal 1966 antenna would not work without a converter box. I bought a converter box. Did not need it. TV works fine with just the old vintage antenna. How are you all doing?
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I really don't know diddly-squat about this but my understanding was that the need for a converter box had nothing to do with the antenna but had everything to do with the TV's capability to receive and interpret digital signals - the purpose of the converter box is to convert a digital signal into an analog format for older TV's to use.

Having said this I believe there are some antennas that are better than others for receiving digital signals.

Nice looking dog.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
It's the TV Not the Antenna

RangerJay is on the right track. "they" are sometimes not correct - I've been told any number of stories by mediocre salespeople who don't really understand the conversion to digital transmissions. It seems all "they" are interested in is selling you something.

Some things I've experienced regarding digital transmission:
1) the signal is much more dependent on direction
2) the signal is affected by adverse weather
3) the signal is affected by other factors that I don't understand

Arrgh! I think digital is mediocre at best. Maybe that will change as I understand more about it but I know I could tolerate a fuzzy picture but I cannot watch a pixelated (is that a word?) picture.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
The only reason an older vhf antenna will not work is because of the bandwidth or gain problems. Most were built to get uhf too and these will work just fine. The best thing is to try it first to see if you realy do need a new antenna.
The only thing I don't like about digital is that you get no picture if the signal is weak. With the old analog signals you could get a weak station and then turn the antenna for the best picture. With digital, it's there or it's not.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
If you lived far, far away from the TV station, chances are, you were tuning in the channels on UHF frequencies that were rebroadcast by station translators. Localy the stations were broadcast on VHF. If you were in an area that was served by translators, the antenna was probably a VHF/UHF combo unit. That is the way ours was. On our AS we had a really cool one and when near the big city we used VHF for better picture and switched back to UHF when out of the area. And, when boondocking really out in the sticks, we had our imagination.

Cheers
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
{snip}
The only thing I don't like about digital is that you get no picture if the signal is weak. With the old analog signals you could get a weak station and then turn the antenna for the best picture. With digital, it's there or it's not.
I have my antenna mounted up high on the back of the sleeper on my semi.Since the switch over my reception while parked at the truck stop is very poor. Every time another semi-truck drives past me, weather it's behind or in front of me, I loose the signal . So I've mostly resorted to watching DVD's while parked.
trucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Camping and TV do not mix for me. It interferes with watching the campfire and talking with friends. I had to buy many TV antennas for parts, almost every thing was missing. Now the one on my trailer is only for show.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3835.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	600.8 KB
ID:	82298

Name:	IMG_3834.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	82297

Name:	IMG_3831.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	82299

I actually relish the disconnect when I am in my trailer.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote