Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
The Hum is (was) back

So my 06 Safari SE FB has the basic upgraded Sony in dash DVD system with the cd changer and 4 speakers 2 in front 2 in the BR. Changed out the original Sony LCD for a Vizio 23" Hd with digital tuner. Might add I'm a pro AV guy so I've dealt with this stuff for years in pro and consumer systems. Know most of the tricks in eliminating hum, ground loops, power etc.

So the issue is that sometimes life is good, usually watching a DVD. Sometimes the annoying hum is there in the sound. Sometimes just turning the thing (Sony) off for a minute clears out the hum. Sometimes it's probably dirty power at the CG. I want to think it's cheap consumer electronics that uses a 12v system with a 120 V system on the TV or other intertwined circuits. For the most part it works ok but then there are those times the hum just appears and I don't feel like dealing with it after a long day when all we want to do is watch a movie. So does any body really know the magical answer to this and if so how to solve it so the gremlins don't reappear?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
try using the google search. this is one of the threads:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...o-36282-2.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
The magic answer for us and others is to adjust the gain or turn off or disconnect the subwoofer (we eventually disconnected the subwoofer since the 4 other speakers do just fine and we found the subwoofer to be superfluous!):

Strange noises from the stereo?
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
The magic answer for us and others is to adjust the gain or turn off or disconnect the subwoofer (we eventually disconnected the subwoofer since the 4 other speakers do just fine and we found the subwoofer to be superfluous!):

Strange noises from the stereo?
In addition, by unhooking the sub-woofer there is one less power drain when doing non-hookup camping!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Hi RichHog, I too am in the Pro Audio biz and have been for about 25 years. We probably know each other via my travels to Houston or trade shows. Though I know that others have had the Hum problem, I've not noticed if anyone has really identified the source of the ground loop. With that in mind, have you considered a 1:1 isolation transformer?

Good Luck and maybe I'll see you at Infocomm
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
Hi RichHog, I too am in the Pro Audio biz and have been for about 25 years. We probably know each other via my travels to Houston or trade shows. Though I know that others have had the Hum problem, I've not noticed if anyone has really identified the source of the ground loop. With that in mind, have you considered a 1:1 isolation transformer?

Good Luck and maybe I'll see you at Infocomm
I have one installed to the sub-woofer and it eliminated the problem.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
What specific isolation transformer did you use (make model)? Haven't looked but is the sub active(powered internally or passive ( powered from the Sony unit? I haven't yet removed the side panel in the overhead bin but I take it that's the source point for connection.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
What specific isolation transformer did you use (make model)? Haven't looked but is the sub active(powered internally or passive ( powered from the Sony unit? I haven't yet removed the side panel in the overhead bin but I take it that's the source point for connection.
The unit has it's own power with a remote on. Line level inputs also are present at the Sub woofer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the update on the sub. Never crawled on the floor to examine it in more detail other than to note it's location.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
The Woodlands , Texas
Hi all,
Did Not Done ever reply on exactly what isolation transformer used? I also have this NOISE problem and what to purchase an isolation transformer. Manufacturer make/model would be helpful.
Thanks!
eberrobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Sometimes the solution is even simpler. One source of a 60Hz hum is having power cords run too close to speaker wires, so that the speaker wires pick up an induction current from the power cords. Rerouting one or the other so they're not parallel to each other sometimes can solve the problem. Not always, though.

As for isolation transformers, they're all much the same. You can get one at Radio Shack that will do the job, without breaking your wallet.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
The Woodlands , Texas
Just bought a Model: 270-054 | Catalog #: 270-054 Ground Loop Isolator from Radio Shack ($20), connected it to the sub woofer and sound is as clear as a bell. Thanks!!
eberrobw is offline   Reply With Quote