Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
The hidden flatscreen!

I've replied to a couple of posts about my new flatscreen rig, but rather than hijacking the topics, I figured that I'd make for a full accounting here.

I saw a great sale on a 39" Vizio flatscreen, so I jumped on it. The design that I came up with last year has proved to work quite well. The screen hides in its compartment on the curb side behind the settee. These things are so light, you don't really need a mechanism to raise it into viewing position. I have a tendency to put it away anytime that we have visitors in the trailer (and definitely while under way!), as a big screen like that commands attention, even when off. I also don't like cleaning off greasy head prints!

I found the cheapest flatscreen mount that I could (Harbor Freight), and bolted on an aluminum L-shaped bar, and hung the straps off of that. There is a nice little lip inside the valance above that I hook the whole rig to. I ran some cables from the TV RCA audio out into my BOSS BV9986BI AUX IN, so now the TV blasts out of the stereo.

Input-wise, I have a refurb Blu-Ray/DVD player, an HD antenna, campground cable in, and an Amazon Fire Stick that runs off of my Jefa Tech WiFi Repeater.

On thing that should be in an RV AV design is headphone use. The aforementioned RCA out cables can be swapped for a dual RCA-to-3.5mm stereo cable that goes into a headphone amp. Now I can stay up late watching explosion movies, while my wife peacefully slumbers.

The other half of the mount has some short lines tied to it, with hooks on the top for an outdoor theater. Keeps the hoi polloi out of the Airstream, makes for a fun campsite. I guess that you could watch sports on it, but I'm more of a sci-fi and samurai film guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-19 14.44.59.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	250661   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-19 14.44.17.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	250662  

SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Looks fantastic, that's how to watch the Long Long Trailer. I like that you put it away needed.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Tipp City , Ohio
Hey Suzy,
Great look on the dinette. The folding wings on the table are a great idea. Ezy in, ezy out. Does you table drop down for sleeping

Gonna do the same on my 60 Tradewind, sometime!!
Streaming 24
streaming24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Probably the best "hidden" television setup I've ever seen is on a Nordic Tug yacht. Check out the pictures below…

As you can see, the television is mounted to a box that is fastened to the overhead, swings down for viewing, and swings up and latches shut to get it out of the way.

A similar mount could be used in an Airstream, as long as it was on the trailer's centerline where the ceiling is flat, and as long as the television isn't too large.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaming24 View Post
Hey Suzy,
Great look on the dinette. The folding wings on the table are a great idea. Ezy in, ezy out. Does you table drop down for sleeping

Gonna do the same on my 60 Tradewind, sometime!!
Streaming 24
Thanks! One day, in the far-flung future, it'll drop down to form a bed. I'd use a stand underneath to support it. My original thinking has it dropping down to "cocktail table height", but that smacked into my shins too much.

I used a special hinge, called a "Twin Pin Sewing Machine Hinge" from Rockler. Requires some extremely precise work with a router. I wound up building a custom jig for the task. So if you're putting this off because you think it'll take a while, you're right!
Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As you can see, the television is mounted to a box that is fastened to the overhead, swings down for viewing, and swings up and latches shut to get it out of the way.

A similar mount could be used in an Airstream, as long as it was on the trailer's centerline where the ceiling is flat, and as long as the television isn't too large.
My initial plan was to build a vertical "drawer" that the TV would mount in, that was somehow spring-loaded. I couldn't get the screen high enough with that, it was blocked by the back of the settee. It went from there to some sort of a steam-punk-looking worm drive, to a scissor-jack arrangement, to a baroque lever arm that would have made Archimedes proud. After coming to my senses (with a blinding headache!), I settled on the current design.

Don't know about a centerline mount on an overhead box. When the TV is down, it would either block the main passageway, or be right in your face. Besides, you lost me when you said, "as long as the television isn't too large"!