Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Television set mounting bracket

Has anyone experience with installing an articulated TV wall mount bracket in a new Safari on the wall facing forward next to the fridge?

I kept the TV and mount from the CCD 19er. I had through bolted it to the wall just above and aft of the fridge. That was sturdy and worked fine.

But the Safari has an inner wall about three inches back from the outer wall with possibly wiring in between. So I'm not comfortable drilling into it. A call to AS customer service resulted in the service department saying they remove the fridge before mounting the bracket. I had to remove an AS fridge several years ago and it was quite a chore I don't care to repeat.

Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
What model Safari do you have? I'll post a pic( as soon as it stops snowing and I screw up my courage to go outside) of the mount I put in on my 25B that is bolted thru that wall into the little compartment above the fridge. Going thru 2 layers of "wood" made for a mucho strong mount.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The photo from the Airstream website of the Safari 23 below show the tv mounted high on the cabinet that houses the fridge/microwave. Can you mount the bracket above the top of the fridge. It would appear that you might could remove the microwave and drill the mounting holes for the bracket at the bottom of the microwave cabinet and have the tv at that level.
Attached Images

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler
Has anyone experience with installing an articulated TV wall mount bracket in a new Safari on the wall facing forward next to the fridge?

I kept the TV and mount from the CCD 19er. I had through bolted it to the wall just above and aft of the fridge. That was sturdy and worked fine.

But the Safari has an inner wall about three inches back from the outer wall with possibly wiring in between. So I'm not comfortable drilling into it. A call to AS customer service resulted in the service department saying they remove the fridge before mounting the bracket. I had to remove an AS fridge several years ago and it was quite a chore I don't care to repeat.
Hey Antique,

I'm facing the same challenge right now. This weekend I plan to install a 26" LCD panel on the wall adjacent to the refrigerator. In my rig, that wall is made of 1/8" plywood. The LCD panel w/articulating arm weighs close to 40 lbs. The plywood wall will have to be beefed up in order to safely carry the weight. I plan to do that with a 1/2" plywood backing panel. However, to gain access to install that backing panel, it sure looks like I'll have to remove the refrigerator. The 1/8" plywood panel is rabbeted into the oak cabinet facia on one side, and into an aluminum channel on the radiused wall of the trailer on the other side. I wish there was an easy way to remove that panel (without having to remove the refrigerator), but I just don't see it. Has anyone had experience with this? I, too, would appreciate some help.

Here's a pic of the wall:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Wall.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	28402

Thanks,

-Mark
Old 11-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Minnie's Mate photo above shows my model exactlly. The second inner wall extends above the fridge into the microwave area. So the question of drilling through above the fridge still remains. I have removed the microwave for a look-see. Doing that is simple (As an aside all the factory wiring for the upgrade electronic system is laying in that space.) A reason we didn't just buy the factory TV package is that it's too high on the wall for comfortable viewing. One helpful bit of info from the factory is that all walls are 1/2 inch thick. So attaching hooks, etc. to walls without going thru the other side is no problem. But attaching a TV mounting bracket with 1/2 inch screws would not be strong enough.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Old 11-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Tv

You should be able to do it.I did it to mine and it is the '25SS model.Once you screw all the screws in every hole it should hold.That base plate has a lot of screw holes.I then drilled a hole above into the cabinet to run all the wires through and then put some plastic pipe covering on it to hide all the wires.Really easy to do with a little time and patience.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Thanks, Devoman,

I'll give it a try. I see you're from PC Beach. Was at Tyndall many years ago and have fond memories of the area.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
If you are concerned about strength, you could use a mini-carriage bolt and drill through both walls and bolt them trough the top row of holes and use the short 1/2" screws in the bottom row.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Screws

I used some nice sized screws like the one Airstream put in there cabinets and everything else.It seems to be the perfect size to use it for anything and I have never had any problems yet.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Here ya go

This what I used on my previous Airstream and also what I used on the one I have now.These are the screws I used also.Granted they are not wood screws but they work very well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB103163_640x480.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	28457   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB103168_640x480.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	28458  

Old 11-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
I have the A/S bracket and want to mount it on the bedroom wall housing the sliding door to the bathroom. That wall seems very thin, but there are I believe 9 holes for fastening it to a wall. Does anyone have an opinion on that installation. I have an 30' Classic W/slide. Has anyone mounted a tv on the thin wall where the mirror folds down? It is a 15" magnavox led. thanks, chip
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #12
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Tv

We are planning on doing the same thing also and what I was thinking was to put an extra piece of wood behind the wall and drill into that also.The only reason I would be able to do it is because it will go thru to the inside of the closet.Then again I could use 1/2 inch wood screws.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Mounting Flat Panel

We are in the process of mounting a 32" LCD to the wall of our new 28 Safari SE. We are using a solid mount that allows the unit to hang on the wall mounting bracket and be removed easily for traveling. I used an oak backing board inside the bath to add additional support for the mount.

I feel it will be plenty substantial to hold the weight while parked, but will put the TV on the bed for driving. I wouldn't want to subject the wall to the additional stresses while towing.

Corky
Old 11-11-2006, 09:13 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Corky, you have any pics of that?

Devoman, I know we talked a while ago about this, but I forgot. You pulled the fridge out and that's where the video wires are? I installed a sub and used the wiring that was pre-installed. Made it a fairly painless install. I also looked in my above dinette roof lockers and saw the two blank box covers. I opened them up and found no video wires, so I am thinking it's behind the fridge?

Thanks!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote