Old 09-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
I'll be picking up my '15 this weekend but I believe based on pictures it appears to be a Marine unit M502. The only way it will work is via analog audio into the 3.5mm AUX port
The AUX/in you mention should work well with the earphone output of the TV. Most TVs have that these days, and since the earplug output power is regulated by the TV's remote control, it should be ideal for what you want to do. Same size of jack, the 3.5mm.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
The AUX/in you mention should work well with the earphone output of the TV. Most TVs have that these days, and since the earplug output power is regulated by the TV's remote control, it should be ideal for what you want to do. Same size of jack, the 3.5mm.
I am confused.
Why would you want to connect to an earphone jack (not found on either of the units in my 25) when it is already connected via the RCA pin plugs from the TV to the Clarion? Volume is variable via the Clarion. In our case, the RCA plug into the TV was not connected at the factory or somehow came out in route.

The Clarion offers HDMI as well as selectable aux input sensitivity for either high, medium, or low level inputs (10k ohms or greater impedance). Aux in is via RCA type pin plugs/ jacks. I-pod / phone may be connected either by CCA-750 cable or via Bluetooth.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
It appears like there is the correct compliment of connections wired within the trailer (analog output from TV to 3.5mm Aux input of clarion) to have the TV sound output across the stereo. It seems some of the OP's are not choosing the correct sound output on the TV along with the right input on the headunit.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Since we rarely park in commercial campgrounds and prefer boondocking, over-the-air television or Blue Ray are our main sources when viewing the TV ... Pandora for audio, however. My remarks do not apply to units shorter than 25 and then only to the 2015 model. YMMV
mefly,
As I mentioned earlier if reception is important to you and is a problem with the fixed antenna that Airstream supplied, it should be an easy and cheap update to purchase one of the "batwing" type fixed antennas that Winnebago uses in their high end motorhomes and install it in place of your omni-directional antenna.

They are also small and fixed but they have a signal meter and automatically scan multiple directions electronically (no physical movement) until they find the direction of best signal when tuned to an digital channel. They directionally enhance the signal without physical movement. It is sort of a internal circular yagi antenna which can have element lengths electronically arranged for beam type reception in a certain direction.

It should improve your reception dramatically and be as good or better than your old crank-up type antenna.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
My observations on the fascinating audio system in my new Serenity.

As has apparently been noted by others, when the main room LED lights are on, a low buzzing sound is present, and it does not go away when the switch/rheostat is changed out. Well, this sound is emanating from the subwoofer which has continuous power if the trailer is powered. The sound disappears when the subwoofer is disconnected from the power.

Second, the subwoofer has adjustments for the frequency of the cross over, and the audio gain. As the sound initially from the sound system was a muffled grumbling, I adjusted both the cross over point, reducing this to probably around 100 hz or less, and increased the gain to almost max. This gives a much more pleasant subwoofer experience as frequencies above 100 hz begin to gather in the human voice, which when amplified via the subwoofer are not natural in anyway, shape, or form, simply garbled.

Third, the AUX of the Clarion unit will play the television sound, but the main room TV speakers will also be playing. If the television is set to "External Speakers" the Clarion will not produce audio...... why I have no idea, but the speakers in the TV must be activated to get the signal through the entire sound system. However, the audio output level of the television does control the input to the Clarion. So, I have found when the television is set to about 25% of its maximum sound level, the Clarion will overpower it very nicely and one has full trailer sound from the television. Also, this did not work, as best I could tell, until I removed the television from the wall, fiddled with the wires, and then replaced the television in its mount on the wall.

Finally, I am going to replace the Clarion speakers with Polk Audio speakers as I suspect this will improve the quality greatly. Also, I will make certain the baffling behind the speakers is proper, so as to eliminate unwanted resonance issues.

Eventually I will attend a four year course at a University so i can fully understand the insane controls of the Clarion…… I really like a screen so i can read content on my iPod, but…. whatever.

Oh, my experience with the new fixed television antenna is it performs very well, better than the crank up directional unit in my 2009 Int 27FB.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
mefly,
As I mentioned earlier if reception is important to you and is a problem with the fixed antenna that Airstream supplied, it should be an easy and cheap update to purchase one of the "batwing" type fixed antennas that Winnebago uses in their high end motorhomes and install it in place of your omni-directional antenna.

They are also small and fixed but they have a signal meter and automatically scan multiple directions electronically (no physical movement) until they find the direction of best signal when tuned to an digital channel. They directionally enhance the signal without physical movement. It is sort of a internal circular yagi antenna which can have element lengths electronically arranged for beam type reception in a certain direction.

It should improve your reception dramatically and be as good or better than your old crank-up type antenna.
RVD- Sorry! No worky! Not enough room for the larger baseplate.
We don't have a rotatable antenna to replace. We have a fixed Omni-directional antenna WITH AIR DUCTS running the length of the AS.
The Omni is not my antenna of choice for rural / marginal signals.

MsM - The sub has been the first item removed from both of our last two AS units ...can't handle the interference noise.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
We picked-up our 28' 2015 this past weekend and noticed that one side of the audio wasn't outputting to the Clarion stereo. The TV was pulled off the wall and the custom analog output is still there. It connects to the in-wall wiring via RCA connectors and then to the back of the Clarion. The connections at the back of the TV were fine. The Clarion was removed and one of the rear connections was loose. To the OP, you'll just have to check the cabling if you are on the AUX input and have the TV set to internal speakers. Everything is there and it may just be loose or possibly mis-cabled.

I'm fairly critical of quality (a bit of a audiophile/videophile) and although the system isn't nearly über high-end, it's decent for a camping setup ....and I haven't noticed any buzzing sound emanating from my subwoofer. Perhaps the different layout changes some wiring that causes interference.

On our first night out our son, niece and her friend all sprawled out on the 28's lounge and watched Transformers (in 1080P) off a USB flash drive in full stereo. They loved it so much they wouldn't go to sleep

This brings up another point, boy am I glad we decided on the Twin. While the kids watched the movie in the front, four adults were able to sit in the bedroom and have a wonderful conversation.....that would be weird on a queen .
Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Is the antenna on the 2015 AS the Winegard Roadstar or some other brand?

RoadStar Omnidirectional TV Antennas - Winegard
Old 09-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Is the antenna on the 2015 AS the Winegard Roadstar or some other brand?

RoadStar Omnidirectional TV Antennas - Winegard

Looks exactly like the RS3000.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Would this be able to be retrofitted? This antenna has good reviews.

KING Jack HDTV antenna with SureLock signal meter | King
Old 09-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
KJ the new antennas do not go through to the interior. So unless you want to put a big hole all the way through there is no way to rotate the antenna.

The Jack is a good retrofit for the fold over Winegard Sensar.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
I had some issues as well with the connections, and until I pulled the main TV off the wall, played with the connections, then removed the Clarion and also, twisted the connections, I had no AUX audio from the Clarion. After my fiddling, I then had audio which was the same as the TV sets speakers, at an adequate level for the house speakers even when the TV was at about 25% volume.

Maybe they need to use some dielectric grease or electrical cleaner on all the connections. I cannot understand why there is no quality check in Airstreams, but have intentions of attempting to find this out.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
MsM-It is discouraging!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:33 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Longview , Texas
I just got a new 2015 flying cloud 30. During my walk through I had the tech show me how to get TV sound through the Clarion speakers. Using the Clarion remote, turn on the "radio"/tuner. Set it to AUX. Sound worked just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums