Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Santa Clarita , California
Television 12vdc/120vac operation

Hi folks,

I couldn't find an answer in my A/S manuals so I'll ask here if you don't mind. I have a 2005 Safari 25'SS with the audio upgrade package. Last week we were dry camping at Sequoia N.P. and I tried to play a DVD for the kids but the TV wouldn't come on, although the DVD audio was playing through the speakers.

When I returned home and plugged my trailer into a 120v outlet the TV powers up fine. I looked again last night and the TV is a 12v unit (Panasonic Aquos).

Will the TV in fact operate on 12 volts from the batteries only? Is there something wrong with my wiring that I should have rectified before the warranty is up?

Thanks all for your help.

Erik
Roadmaster39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Erik-
Greetings! Your LCD screen needs 120V to operate. It is not a 12V system. You may want to get yourself an inverter or a generator. An inverter will drain our system pretty fast with a 2 hour movie and if you plan on a lot of boondocking and needing the creature home comforts a generator is the thing to get.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
You need an inverter to run it. A couple of hours will drain the batteries down quickly though. I bought a pocket converter and plug the monitor electric cord into it and then into the 12 volt receptacle there. You didn't get the 600 watt inverter option I am assuming.

I got one of these. Will also run the laptop or other various devices in truck and Airstream.

Amazon.com: Xantrex Technologies XPower Pocket Mobile Power Source 175-Watt Inverter #813-0091: Home Improvement

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
so, is it safe to assume that there ain't no such thing as a 12v LCD screen?

wonder why?

I have a 9" crt tv/vcr combo that runs on either 12v or 110. Haven't seen them in stores lately. makes me glad I bought it when I did...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Some of the smaller LCD TV'S are 12v DC, they just come with a "brick" transformer that plugs into a 110V AC outlet. You could replace the transformer/cord with a 12V cord - you might have to make one with the proper ends. I recall reading that someone on the list did this.

I would like to buy an LCD TV with a built-in DVD player, and wire it up this way.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I have a 9" crt tv/vcr combo that runs on either 12v or 110. Haven't seen them in stores lately. makes me glad I bought it when I did...
You don't see them in the stores because the industry is phasing out the tv/vcr combos now because the movie technology is moving away from VCR's. The latest rage is the tv/dvd combo. Come on Chuck...got to keep up with the times!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
Some of the smaller LCD TV'S are 12v DC, they just come with a "brick" transformer that plugs into a 110V AC outlet. You could replace the transformer/cord with a 12V cord - you might have to make one with the proper ends. I recall reading that someone on the list did this.

I would like to buy an LCD TV with a built-in DVD player, and wire it up this way.
If such a tv exists, then why don't rv manufacturers use those, instead of 110v models? I guess they must figure that new airstream (millionaire) buyers never do anything other than "30-amp-camping".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukionna
You don't see them in the stores because the industry is phasing out the tv/vcr combos now because the movie technology is moving away from VCR's. The latest rage is the tv/dvd combo. Come on Chuck...got to keep up with the times!
Its not the "vcr" part thats the issue; its the "12V" part.

I'd love one that had dvd instead of vcr...but I don't think they exist, either. or at least, I haven't seen them.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
I'd love one that had dvd instead of vcr...but I don't think they exist, either. or at least, I haven't seen them.
Yes, they do exist and they are slick. The DVD loads vertically in a pop out side drawer. Sure beats dragging along a DVD player too. No 12 volt though.

Just go to the bestbuy.com or circuitcity.com website and search for "tv/dvd combo". There are plenty of models under $200.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
No 12 volt though.
that's the whole point.

so..."there isn't any".
Old 04-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
that's the whole point.

so..."there isn't any".
Oh...I missed that part. I wouldn't go as far as to say there aren't any until you have performed an exhaustive search. I would suggest you try a boating online store website or a truck stop. Both the boating industry and truck stops are typically on top of 12 volt technology.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmeister
I looked again last night and the TV is a 12v unit .Will the TV in fact operate on 12 volts from the batteries only? Is there something wrong with my wiring that I should have rectified before the warranty is up?
Erik
hi erik

the wiring is fine.

lcd televisions, like lap top computers run on dc current. 12v, 13v, 14v, 18v, 24v are examples.

the inline box that converts ac to dc is more than a basic converter for these systems...

so bypassing the box would be a bad idea,

except on very specific units and then only IF the 12v source is really clean

let the pocket protector crowd do this....

the easiest was to use your tele on 12v trailer battery power is to purchase a small innverter....

140 watts or less, simple round plug and 1-2 ac 'ports'...

radio shack, walmart, best buy and many electronics vendors sell these so laptops can be powered in cars/trucks.

priced from 20$ up...

yes you are now inverting dc to ac and then converting ac back to dc but for smaller loads like lcd teles and computers...

the coach batteries can handle this small load and the exchange losses...

chuck...

it's never safe to assume anything.

YES there ARE direct 12v televisions available too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/342110-post5.html

cheers
2air'

terms confusing?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/302678-post3.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xantrexconverter.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	35735  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
chuck...

it's never safe to assume anything.
yep. good point.

I still wonder why you don't get one of these "native" 12-volt units from factory. they put 12v fridges/furnaces/lights, etc...

while you can use an inverter, isn't there still a significant loss of energy in the transformation from dc to ac?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
_

. , .
you CAN get 'native' dc systems from the factory...

just order a jensen television.

did you look at the link?

ASA Electronics

most buyers care about brand name first...

features second...

and infrastructure last...

sony and panasonic and toshiba are popular

jensen isn't. most still think of car stereos and tape players as jensen.

inspite of the many steps they add to make the products rv/marine durable.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
12 Vdc Lcd Tv

Samsung and Polaroid are a couple of other brands that make 12VDC LCD TVs. I have a Polaroid HD LCD TV model FLM-1511. It draws 4 amps at 12VDC.

I have used it very successfully in my Airstream running directly off the solar charged batteries.

I think this is more efficient than putting your 12 volt battery electricity through an inverter to make 110v then back through the wall wart transformer that came with the TV to get 12VDC again.

I don't believe electricity from the Airstream batteries is a concern regarding the question of harmful voltage spikes or surges. Eventually, the voltage could drop so low that there could be a problem, but it is bad practice to run the batteries too low anyway.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I think one of the earlier posts made the key point that the newer factory installed LCD TVs utilize the AC-to-DC "brick" converter, which in almost certainly tucked away in/near the mounting area. If I could, I'd like to avoid some of the lost efficiency from using the AC converter...

The original poster might have some luck doing away with the brick if the TV really is 12V (earlier warnings about clean/stable power apply), but most likely it's not exactly 12V...

Look up the power specification for the TV. if it is fairly close to 12V you might be able to find a DC-DC switched-mode converter that sources 12V nominal and outputs the required voltage and current. Heck, Radio Shack even sells a variety of inexpensive DC-DC converters that might fit your specifications.

In my case the factory installed 19" Sony flat panel required something like 19V, can't recall the current. I couldn't find an inexpensive, easy plugin converter to fit my specs. But I also have the 600W hardwired inverter, so I use that and ignore the inefficiencies of what I'm doing there

Hope I'm not just throwing gas on the fire,
-jd.

[Edit: by the time I posted the previous two showed up; I think I'd like to just say, "yeah, what they said"]
Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Everybody is right...

simply stated... use 12 volts if you can. Inverters waste a lot of power in the conversion to DC - as much as 60%, in the form of heat.
I would recommend having a 12V DVD player with a separate 12V LCD display and a separate 12V Audion system. As things get better with DVD quality, replacing the components is cheaper. A 16x9 display is good for wide screen and a 5.1 surround sound for a computer system also is cool. I accomplish the whole deal with a laptop and LCD display. Most laptops have a 12V converter as an option. It is really just a circuit that protects the laptop from dirty power.

oops... left my pocket protector at home 8-)

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
No connection to seller:
How about something like this?
eBay: BRAND NEW 19" INCH LCD TV DVD COMBO 12 Volt 240 Mains (item 260108833267 end time Apr-18-07 04:49:37 PDT)
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Santa Clarita , California
Wow, thanks for all the replies folks! It makes sense that there must be a brick converter behind the refer cabinet that's plugged into the 120v circuit. I think I'll leave things as they are. Better to enjoy nature and read a book anyway than spend our time watching the tube.
Roadmaster39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview
Looks like that auction was taken down by eBay as it is no longer there.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Ok. This is a topic that has eaten a lot of my time in web searching, and I still haven't found what I am looking for.

2Airishuman's link to camping world goes to a 22 inch unit that is sold out. A search on camping world's web site for 12 volt display dead-ends just like other searches on this topic.

I know my batteries vary in output, somewhere between 11.5 to 12.8 volts, depending on the amount of charge. If I understand earlier posts in this thread, this variation may be a problem for a display that requires 12 volts, and thus, the need to regenerate a true 12 volts (which in turn, uses up to 60% more energy by use of an inverter).

If I use a separate HD DVD player (made to work in automobiles), does anyone know of a make/model of a HD LCD display (15 -20 inches) that will work directly from a 12 volt battery system? I will give karma and a big thanks to the soul that cuts the chase by posting make and model.

By the way Airstream25 – Karma to you (make/model listed)!
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v