Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
SWM location

Just got the Directv satellite antenna. Have to have the one with the SWM box. I can't seem to find a location inside to put it as my AS has the sat wiring preinstalled.. I don't see a place without removing panels and I'm on the road. Is it ok to put it outside with the antenna as long as I I put the cable connections down.

Southern Belle on the road
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
There are two components to the SWM, the splitter and the power supply. The power supply must go inside as it is not waterproof and needs the AC shore power to operate. The splitter is not required unless you are driving multiple TVs, but it can be mounted outside.

If you are talking about the Winegard Trav'ler antenna with the SWM-8 box, I am not familiar with that. I think that was the older style. The current Trav'ler manual, available on Winegard's site shows how to hook the system up in two configurations, one with the splitter inside, one outside. But if you are only driving one DirecTV receiver, the splitter is not required.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
If you have a SWM LNB it probably won't work with the pre-wired satellite connection. SWN LNB's will not work with the splitters that are used in Airstreams. I use an SL3 LNB and it works great, and no power supply needed like the SWM. The satellite connection should be behind the blue ray player. On mine I removed the 3 screws holding the blue ray shelf and lifted it up to access the coax cable labeled satellite.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
If you have a SWM LNB it probably won't work with the pre-wired satellite connection. SWN LNB's will not work with the splitters that are used in Airstreams. I use an SL3 LNB and it works great, and no power supply needed like the SWM. The satellite connection should be behind the blue ray player. On mine I removed the 3 screws holding the blue ray shelf and lifted it up to access the coax cable labeled satellite.
I was under the impression that the satellite pre-wire was a single coax cable from the outside satellite/cable connector panel to the electronics shelf with no splitters involved. There are splitters in the coax lines associated with the antenna and CATV signal routing but not in the satellite, at least as far as I know. I don't think you can use the coax cables to the area of the televisions to route satellite signals, but the intent is to mount the satellite receiver in the electronics shelf and use HDMI to route to the TV locations.

Al
Old 10-13-2016, 04:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I will investigate further when we have time at sites. I have this: DirecTV SWM SL3S Portable Satellite RV Dish Kit Camping Tailgating with Tripod SWiM and level https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U6BMQ8W..._Ao2.xbKDFTG1S

I see I'll have to lift DVDs frame to get to connections. I'm beginning to think I should have taken a pass on this as the dish is big and the tripod is also. I think the alignment is going to be quite a challenge since it deals with multiple sats, but I'll give it a shot when time allows
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
How do you plan to use this? Is there any reason why you have to have a SWM, like you plan to use a Genie receiver? The inexpensive alignment meters will not work with a SWM. IF you have a non-Genie receiver, you can use the regular LNB, and then the inexpensive alignment tools will work.

I sepcifically bought an H-24 receiver and an LNB dish (which is cheaper than the SWM dish by the way) so I could align the dish with the inexpensive meter. I have done this for the past year. All you have to do is use your receiver to tell you where to set the elevation and tilt on the dish, get the tripod level, and swing the dish until you get a peak on the alignment meter. This process is much simpler than repeatedly moving the dish a degree or two and waiting for the signal strength indicators on the receiver to change.

A SWM alignment meter, the last time I checked, was over $300.

Edit: It looks like this one from Amazon will work with SWM. IT wasn't available when I bought mine.
AGPtek Good For Campers Digital Satellite Signal Meter Finder Meter For Dish Network Directv FTA LCD Graphic Display Backlight Compass Buzzer Control
Old 10-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
How do you plan to use this? Is there any reason why you have to have a SWM, like you plan to use a Genie receiver? The inexpensive alignment meters will not work with a SWM. IF you have a non-Genie receiver, you can use the regular LNB, and then the inexpensive alignment tools will work.

I sepcifically bought an H-24 receiver and an LNB dish (which is cheaper than the SWM dish by the way) so I could align the dish with the inexpensive meter. I have done this for the past year. All you have to do is use your receiver to tell you where to set the elevation and tilt on the dish, get the tripod level, and swing the dish until you get a peak on the alignment meter. This process is much simpler than repeatedly moving the dish a degree or two and waiting for the signal strength indicators on the receiver to change.

Edit: It looks like this one from Amazon will work with SWM. IT wasn't available when I bought mine.
AGPtek Good For Campers Digital Satellite Signal Meter Finder Meter For Dish Network Directv FTA LCD Graphic Display Backlight Compass Buzzer Control
Thought it was too good to be true. Reviews are not good. Too late to edit my message. Get a standard LNB unless you have to have the Genie.

Al
Old 10-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I have this: DirecTV SWM SL3S Portable Satellite RV Dish Kit Camping Tailgating with Tripod SWiM and level
Wow that looks like a lot of work. Why not the DISH Tailgater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I see I'll have to lift DVDs frame to get to connections.
There's a real easy install if you are willing to swap the TV receiver for the Blue-Ray. Simply open up the BlueRay cabinet, remove BlueRay, find Sat cable and plug into TV receiver and plug in HDMI cable they was in the BlueRay. You'll see that the HDMI goes into the factory splitter and two HDMI's exit (one for each TV).

If you want to watch a DVD in the future, just set it up in your LR and plug into TV.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
Wow that looks like a lot of work. Why not the DISH Tailgater?

There's a real easy install if you are willing to swap the TV receiver for the Blue-Ray. Simply open up the BlueRay cabinet, remove BlueRay, find Sat cable and plug into TV receiver and plug in HDMI cable they was in the BlueRay. You'll see that the HDMI goes into the factory splitter and two HDMI's exit (one for each TV).

If you want to watch a DVD in the future, just set it up in your LR and plug into TV.

Because I have Directv under contract for another year. After that I will look for a more compact and easy solution.

DBLee and Southern Belle on the road
Old 11-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post

I have a Genie setup at home and didn't want to get another non Genie receiver to complicate things and pay Directv more. BTW when I got home I set up the travel antenna with my Genie and picture came in without much effort. I use no meters, just sat app and settings from Genie. I'll try this on the road till my Directv contract is done.

DBLee and Southern Belle on the road
Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
I have similar tripod swm Direct tv satellite antenna. I set mine with tv out side the camper to get antenna lined up properly so i could see tuner strength of meters. Once I had tuned in i hooked the coax to out side of Sat hook up on camper, put swm power box and direct tv tuner in over head bow and hooked swm power box to cable labeled sat. It all worked great. I used switch box for Hdmi cables so I can easily change from Blue ray to Direct tv. The most difficult part is getting Satellite aimed properly
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote