Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
Suggestions for Home Theater System in Airstream

Hi all,

I have a 2009 27FB that I am moving into full time. I'm active duty Marine Corps and after a combat deployment in Afghanistan I was given orders to be a flight instructor in Pensacola, FL. After living in NC for the past six years I am selling my house in NC, and I'm moving full time into the Airstream because I am single, don't like to pay rent, and don't want to buy a house in Pensacola.

That being said, I like my audio quality and the tv speakers with the upgraded sound system does not cut it for me. I'm looking to get a home theater system to put into the airstream since I will be at a full hookup campground 95% of the time and almost any other time I will have generators for camping I am looking at a 120 volt AC system.

Has anyone put a home theater system in their airstream? I'm looking to install a 5.1 system with front, center, rear, and sub woofer positions. I'm not looking for manufacture suggestions (Onkyo or Yamaha are my choice brands) as I am looking for how people have installed theirs. I'm thinking I will fabricate a speaker holder above the flat screen TV mount that will have the left, right, and center speaker on it. As for the rear speaker mounts I'm trying to figure that out right now. Any suggestions or comments welcome. Thanks.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
fair oaks , California
I haven't done so yet, but after doing a bit of research, I think I'm going to install a Bose Cinemate Series system. In my situation the space and speaker placement options are limiting factors in deciding which system to use. The Bose system includes two small speakers, a subwoofer and a small interface module. Finding mounting locations for two small speakers makes the installation process a lot easier than trying to figure out where you can mount four or five speakers. You can put the subwoofer almost anywhere which makes this part of the installation very easy. In a smaller space like my 1968 GT, this system will more than satisfy my listening needs.
dmcinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
So you know the existing A/V system is actally 5.1 (or 4.0 with the way they have it wired). Of course, it only works if you use the existing DVD player, not an upscaling DVD, blu-ray, ps3, etc.

Any current Onkyo/Yamaha (both favorites of mine) will work for your situation but make take up valuable space. What about a HTIB (home theater in a box) system? It's usually all in one, include DVD/BluRay, gives an optical input or HDMI input and will sometimes have small speakers. I would look for such a systems that had an 8 ohm output, so it could be compatible with your existing speakers inside the trailer. The speakers over the dinette would work well for surround channels. I would probably update the driver to a brand of your preference.

Depending on your amp, you could probably store it under the pull out lounge, above the wheel wells. It would also get you access to 120V power, and get you up to the cabinet holding the TV for HDMI and speaker mounting.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Gary,

Unless you really want a built in system, you cant go wrong with these.Bose Home Theater Systems - Surround Sound Speakers - Home Theater Speaker Systems - Home Entertainment Systems

Been using Bose equipment for years. You could hide the speakers just about anywhere, (don't let the small size fool 'ya), and still have the option to move it indoors if needed. The noise canceling headphones are great also!!

I was going to up-grade the music system in the Classic until I got the Wave System, now I've got great sound that I can move around.

Good luck on your new post and thanks again for the VN photo's

Bob
Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post
Has anyone put a home theater system in their airstream? I'm looking to install a 5.1 system with front, center, rear, and sub woofer positions. I'm not looking for manufacture suggestions (Onkyo or Yamaha are my choice brands) as I am looking for how people have installed theirs.

Bose 5.1 with the business end in a rebuilt Excella cabinet on roll around trucks.

Three speakers over the Gaucho (now dual recliners), one in the door/stove area overhead, one on a low mount stand on the roll-around.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f219...ign-14737.html

Post # 61 has some pics.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote