Old 11-11-2014, 12:22 AM   #15
Vantair

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
Looking to do something similar with the audio quality in ours. Currently it's kinda lacking. Do you have additional tweeters in the bedroom?

Any more thoughts on outside audio? Computer speakers would work ac and dc, but what of placement, with awning down for example?
(Whoops, Sorry for mispelling name) No tweets in bedroom just yet as this base upgrade has been quite an improvement throughout but same concept could apply by adding tweeters off bed factory speakers as well. Just the one single sub low end carries everywhere else in our case.

Like lighting, audio and audio outside is quite personal vs hassle. As a portable set up, could emagine standard computer speakers via extending smartphone off or from a stereo headphone jack. 120 v or 12 vdc versions around. With enough wire, place anywhere under awning or under rig with volume kept down low to just carry to immediate personal area. Wireless Bluetooth speaker options may be easier but with a charge every so often.

Hope this helps.

2014 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 4X4 int. 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
Part 1

Went with Vantair’s suggestions as to amp, sub, and tweeter selection. Sounded like a good recommendation and was within my budget. The sub, tweeters, and amp was Santa’s gift to me this year and the day after Christmas I was tearing things apart the Airstream. It was only after hooking up the sub did I realize I needed to do some homework.

The Polk sub sounded nothing like the base sound I was expecting. It was extremely distorted and sounded terrible. I fiddled and fiddled with all the settings in the amp and stereo, inside out and upside down. The speaker sounded like it had been blown, faulty electrics or bad wires inside the unit, whatever, a lemon, a lump of coal.

I borrowed a sub from our living room 5.1 setup and it sounded great so nothing wrong with the installation. Got an RMA and sent it back and ordered a Rockford Fosgate R1-1X10 10-Inch 200 Watt Single Loaded Enclosure instead at about the same price as the Polk - $105.23.

The only difference being the Rockford was not ported like the Polk. I learned with ported there is an air intake so that the speaker doesn’t have to work so hard pushing the cone back and forth. The closed system has to work harder but produces less re-verb. My thinking is that the sub being under the sofa would be enough re-verb itself. Also it is a bigger speaker at 10“ instead of 8" and the mdf enclosure material not so thick making the Rockford 5lb lighter at 20lb.

In taking things apart there is a screw which attaches to the armrest to the aluminum side panels which is difficult to get to. By just loosening it the armrest had enough flex to allow the wood cover holding the sofa cushion to be removed. Getting that screw back in would have been a pain had it been unscrewed all the way out.

The enclosure was just how Airstream had left it after construction. A little dirty but not too much in the way of debris.

At first hookup the Rockford Fosgate produced no sound. Oh no, what now. After removing the ground loop isolator bought to eliminate the 12v buzz it then worked. You can set the low and high pass filter on the amp to remove the buzz without an isolator!

After cleaning up and rearranging the wires in the compartment for better airflow, time to figure out which position to put the speaker in. I positioned it with the cover on to line up with the opening for easy access to the amps settings, then angled it slightly.

Used a sharpie to mark the corners where the speaker sat, cut some spare wood into 8 pieces of 1“x1“x5“ then screwed down. The speaker sits nice and snug and won't move around when in motion. Lastly another piece of wood was placed to hold the top against the seat cover.

Doing the sub-woofer upgrade again I would probably have gone with a
Blaupunkt Blue Magic XLb 250 A 500-Watt 10-Inch Active Subwoofer System, for simplicity AND the remote for about the same price as a separate amp and speaker - $206

Tweeters

Polk Audio DB1001 1-Inch Silk/Polymer Composite Dome Tweeters - 64.50

Using poster putty I tried the speakers in different positions. Next to the Sony’s on the underside of the cabinet created a super sweet spot in the middle of the sofa which was nice. With the speakers on the side of the cabinet using the curvature of the inside wall like Vantair, the sweet spot was good while walking up and down the camper or sat in the dinette. I chose to mount the speakers on the side wall of the cabinet.

Will be adding a couple more of the dome tweeters to the bedroom under the cabinet.

Stereo
Was thinking about buying the CD-BTB200 Pioneer blue-tooth adapter, but because it is discontinued the price is higher than a new blue-tooth ready stereo, even on eBay. So am in the market for a new stereo in due time. An 8mm audio jack to the aux input on the Pioneer works well for now.

What a difference it all makes, night and day. If you haven’t already, go for it. If you have spent your entire life working with noisy machinery and your ears are shot no worries, you can still FEEL the base!

Took me more than an afternoon because I didn’t know what I was doing but had fun learning. Going to add a sub to my Tundra now

tl;dr upgraded the audio. sounds fantastic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	230610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	230611  

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	230612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	230613  

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	230614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0256.jpg
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	230615  

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	230616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	230617  

Name:	IMG_0262.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	230618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.jpg
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	230619  

Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
Part 2

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	230620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	230621  

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	230622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	230623  

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	230624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0240.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	230625  

Name:	IMG_0242.jpg
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	230626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0245.jpg
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	230627  

Name:	IMG_0246.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	230628  
Old 01-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

So, taking advantage of your kindness, do you have any thoughts about adding some type of exterior speakers to our standard Sony set up? Right now our low tech solution is to crank up the volume and open a window so we can sit outside and listen to music. Not the best of solutions. Just wonder if there is a low cost way that someone of nowhere near your capabilities could wire for a couple of outside speakers under the awning area so we could enjoy either the radio or CD player while enjoying the outdoors and a good book.

Thanks
Dana

Hopefully you keep the volume down on the outside speakers for the sake of your fellow campers!

We have had a few bad experiences this way over the years and when we do, cannot understand how inconsiderate of their neighbours some folk can be.

Not suggesting at all that you would be so inclined!

I just get a bit annoyed at the tendency of a lot of new RV's that come equipped now with outside speaker, outside tv's etc!

Guess it would be fine for boondockers - apart from annoying the animals!

I have to admit that now and then, I take a very small portable radio outside under the awning while reading or BBQ'ing , but have it so low that you probably couldn't hear it more than 15 feet away.

I tend to use good quality earphones more often if listening to music while reading outside.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Hopefully you keep the volume down on the outside speakers for the sake of your fellow campers!

We have had a few bad experiences this way over the years and when we do, cannot understand how inconsiderate of their neighbours some folk can be.

I just get a bit annoyed at the tendency of a lot of new RV's that come equipped now with outside speaker, outside tv's etc!

I have to admit that now and then, I take a very small portable radio outside under the awning while reading or BBQ'ing , but have it so low that you probably couldn't hear it more than 15 feet away.

I tend to use good quality earphones more often if listening to music while reading outside.

Brian.
Folks who camp less often are not aware of camp etiquette I find. And I find folks are less aware of it in the summer and on the weekends, when you get more of the weekenders.

Those outside entertainment setups are really aimed at the folks who are going to annoy you most. The ones who just take the rig out 3 weekends in the summer to party and BBQ while watching the game then go swimming with their 15 rug rats.

---

On another note, I am working on an Raspberry Pi setup for our Airstream, the way Airstream originally wired this stereo is a freaking nightmare.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:08 AM   #20
Vantair

Elbundi,
Great pics and info on your results.
As you can hear, what a transformation is to be found with some add ons like
these. Amazing actually.
So sorry on the less than stellar Polk sub results. Can't figure why unless
something just off but overall, As with your Fosgate sub replacement, there
are good alternate solutions out there.

All of which volumes should be mindful of your surrounding camping neighbors.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

Brian.
I do the same...my inside audio up-grade is easily brought outside and enjoyed at a level that is comfortable for all.

Bob
Old 01-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #22
Vantair

Thumbs up

Bob,
Bose is a nice and compact solution as well. Also, admiring your partially filled liquid cooled sonic frequency glass reflector !
Old 01-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Annapolis , Maryland
We replaced the stock speakers with Focals (Focal Access 165 CA1 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speaker Kit). It was a modestly priced (~$150/pair) quality car speaker with moveable coaxial tweeters underneath the grill. They also look better in all black against the white CCD cabinets. We didn't change anything else, but it did take a bit of work to enlarge the speaker openings slightly to fit.

The quality was quite a bit better for minimal effort and cost.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantair View Post
Bob,
Bose is a nice and compact solution as well. Also, admiring your partially filled liquid cooled sonic frequency glass reflector !
To be used very carefully....more than three fingers will substantially reduce the audience frequency absorption capability.

Bob
Old 01-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my trailer had a rattling speaker. I fixed that and the sound was good enough for me. I also bought a nice 22" TV. We seldom even use these while traveling. I did buy a Bose system for my 55" House TV. Sounds great when music is playing.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote