Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Subwoofer Worth It?

We've owned our 2008 Classic 25fb about a month and this past weekend I was able to play around with the music system. I was able to figure out from the Sony manual how to play a single CD, play CDs from the 10 disc changer and how to switch over to watch a DVD to the TV and how to play the TV sound through the Sony system. Way to complicated.

I pulled up the dinette seat cover and found the subwoofer by Collins. The sub is getting power but it doesn't seem to be working. The radio has the subwoofer turned on but the settings are default. All I hear is a hum from the sub. I've checked the wries

Is the subwoofer worth it if I need to get a new subwoofer? Its inside the curb side dinnette seat so how is the sound. Is the plastic connector standard to other car subs or will I need to rewire?

I'm hoping the music system will allow movies to be watched while the AC is on so we can hear better. TV speakers get drowned out by the AC or heater fan noise. My hearing is not as good now that I'm 61.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I added a sub, as PO didn't order it. I like it. I believe your stereo may be the same as mine...Sony...(don't recall model #) I had to add a connection box made by Sony for my particular stereo in order to get the audio in function to work for the TV. Post your model of radio, and I'll see if I can help......back to the sub......you'll have to get an amplifier to drive the sub as well, but it was plug and play, as the radio was made for a sub hookup provision.

I didn't read very well, sorry. You already have all the components. There should be a sub amplifier somewhere....maybe internal to the sub speaker box itself. These usually have their own fuses. Verify power to the sub and that it powers up.

In addition my radio has a setting in the menu to turn on "sub out". I believe that if it is "off", you will still get power to the sub, but not music output from the radio head.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Our sub woofer would not work when we first got the trailer. The dealer couldnt make it work and the factory's recommendations didn't help. Finally a young guy with a similar setup said to unplug all connections and replug them. That was the cure.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I actually tried that and went one step further. I removed it from the floor to look at it close and personal but it still doesn't work. This trailer was so lightly used I'm amazed I'm finding so many issues.

Does this subwoofer make the music/movie experience better?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Does this subwoofer make the music/movie experience better?

I think it does.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Honestly, I pulled mine out of my 2007 23'. It didn't sound good, with some internal rattling, and taking it out gave me a bunch of storage space under the L-lounge.

The stereo sounds OK without it, but I have no great expectations for high-fidelity sound. We only use it when playing the stereo during cleaning time in the driveway at home.

Tom
Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
We are on our second AS since 2011. And the sound just gets better, but unfortunately more complicated. There are so many options on the 2013 Sony for the sub, that it took a bit of time to figure it out. Not intuitive at all.

BUT, for the movie experience, it got pretty darn close to the home theater sound, and I believe it's worth the trouble to learn to set it up correctly.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I agree with murreywalker. When we picked up our 2012 Flying Cloud, the dealer said the sub wasn't included. The sound was a bit tinny without it. I then stumbled on it by accident looking under the dinette :bonus:!

It took forever to figure out how to dial it in with that Sony car stereo unit but once on, it makes a big difference. Not to be confused with a surround sound home theater, but sort of like the difference between hearing music on a phone and then hearing it on a decent home stereo. That's my $0.02
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Well, I was working on the AS this weekend installing a new Progressive Dynamics converter to replace my Parallax converter that seem to stop charging the batteries. After that job was finished I decided to revisit the subwoofer. I had left it unplugged. I had been messing around with the Sony radio trying to learn about it and hooked up the sub and it now works. Not sure what was going on before. So it provides a nice little bass punch even under the dinette compared to the front bedroom speakers. Got an old iPod Nano connected via a Monster car adapter that connects to the 30 pin connector and is plugged into the 12v socket with the 3.5mm plug into the Aux port. 10 CDs of various flavors that are not on the iPod, several hunder songs on the iPod and we have plenty of tunes.

Maybe my Airstream is starting to like us now. We promise to be nice to you, spend money on you, my Silver Mistress.

Kelvin