Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Mechanicsburg , Pennsylvania
Subwoofer RCA Connectors

I'm the second owner of a 2010 International 27FB which included the sound package and a subwoofer. Can't seem to get any sound out of the sub and noticed in addition to a pre-wired pigtail, there'a also red/white RCA connectors plugged into the sub but they are only terminated on one end: the other end is snipped.

Does anyone know if the RCA connectors are required for operation of the sub? I checked the settings for the Sony and they show the sub as active but so far, no sound comes out.
nunover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
How is the Sub hooked up to your system now, without the RCA cables?
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Subwoofer RCA Connectors

You do need one of the RCA connectors. I would get a RCA Y connector for the radio side.

One of the plug wires is an actuator wire. It turns it on. On my last trailer the wire was cut from the factory. The plug has power and a trip to turn it on when the radios on.

My trailer was wired wrong at the TV as well. You should be able to play surround sound for it, via the radio. The RCAs go via a Y into the sound OUT jack. Mine was wired to sound in jacks.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Mechanicsburg , Pennsylvania
It's hooked up now via a six-conductor nylon snap-in connector, three of which are active and crimped to three conductors coming out of wiring hole near the subwoofer. I checked the inline fuse and it was fine. I can tell it's getting power since the speaker cone flexes momentarily when I attach the connector. No sound whatsoever though.

The previous owner believes it was connected but only used the audio system a few times. I may have to remove the unit to see how it's connected. So far my theory is that it was wired wrong during assembly??

Thanks for the responses!
nunover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Ok what your telling me the speaker is fine. The plug has power. The trip wire is the problem. Check the continuity of the trip wire. The coloring should be obvious red or black & white are hot and neutral. Green is the actuator. The speaker is is standby mode until the trip wire turns it on. I bet the wire is cut at the wall. Or behind the radio. You can access the radio back by inserting two little flat bars in the front after the faceplate and trim is removed. The chassis will pull out of a sleeve. The little bars should be in the bag of paper work or in the trailer somewhere. You can also take out the overhead speaker to get the some wires.