Old 06-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #57
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wow, what a saga! One would think that trailers selling in the $40-$70k range would have had those bugs worked out long ago. Glad to hear that the answer is fairly simple. Disappointed to hear that Airstream lets units out with such flagrant faults!

The only two sources that I expected to hear complaints about didn't really show up. Dimmer switches and flourescent bulbs are notorious for creating extraneous noises in sound systems. So, either your trailers aren't equiped with either of those items, or people having them didn't read the thread.

Thanks for a great read.

Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #58
Rivet Master
2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
... snip... Well, the sub woofer is powered independently from the radio..... snip.... Jim

Independently indeed! My sub woofer was powered through the ceiling lights! When we turned on the ceiling lights the sub-woofer came on! Go figure!

This thread has been really helpful. We also have the same rumble. Jim, all of your information has been really useful.

Also, our bedroom speakers shut off when a DVD is inserted. It makes it impossible to flip the TV around to watch a movie in bed. Does anyone else have that problem?

Jim & Rod

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #59
Rivet Master
2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
Also, our bedroom speakers shut off when a DVD is inserted. It makes it impossible to flip the TV around to watch a movie in bed. Does anyone else have that problem?
Actually, the rear speakers don't turn off but switch to rear channel mode for the Dolby Digital decoder for surround sound. Highly annoying, I agree and I haven't found out a way to change this back to stereo mode. I don't want or need surround sound in a trailer, at least not the way the the current speakers are setup.
Chris and Christina- Boerne, TX / Evergreen, CO - TAC TX-7
2008 27'FB Int'l Signature CCD
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Old thread.. but what the heck. Thought I'd offer my two cents after FINALLY FIXING our stereo burping and buzzing.

Firstly it seems that our whole problem was due to the fact that we boondock, and use a 12V to 120V inverter for the TV (stereo works on 12V but not the TV) which generates noise passed into the system via the audio out on the TV.

After spending $70 Cdn on two of the Radio Shack isolation transformers (including two packages of female-female audio jackers) we finally are noise free!

Had to put one islation transformer on the audio out lines of the TV and another transformer at the subwoofer.

Thanks to the many people who have worked on a solution over the years

My wife will be a happy camper the next trip out, in a week.

PS. What a spaghetti mess behind the Sony DVD/fm/amp unit! I had already tossed out the CD changer (who uses those these days?). Lots of cables that didn't do a thing.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #61
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I didn't read the whole thread and this isn't the only one on this problem. But, my solution was to remove the subwoofer to get to the controls. The controls are on the far side* where only very small people can go (about 6" high). There were two: gain (volume) and frequency). Turn down the gain and you'll never hear anything, so I turned it about half way down. Turn down the frequency and that helps too—what frequency it affects, I don't know. Both controls were all the way up. Is lower more low frequency? Since the subwoofer is always on, I wired a switch with a light into it and mounted it under the dinette seat. Light on, subwoofer on. I've never turned it on since I did this.

After all, who needs a subwoofer in a travel trailer? If I were a teenager, I guess I would, but I have not been so afflicted in about 50 years.

*Airstream uses at least two brands of subwoofer; some may have the controls accessible from under the table. Count yourself lucky if you do. I am not so blessed.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote