Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Stock HDMI Cable Routing Path

While installing a swivel mount for the TV in the living area of our 25FC/FB, I broke off the male connector for the HDMI cable. Needless to say, it’s easier to replace the cable tan it is to repair it. Can anyone help me figure out the routing path of this cable and where it terminates and/or connects to its source supply? Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
The first time I looked under the hood of a Ferrari, I suddenly understood why they cost so much; every line, every wire was so carefully placed, it looked something like a circuit board. But even the Chevys and Fords of us hordes of unwashed masses, with their wire tied bundles of color-coded wires scattered about are far neater than what you'll find behind the walls and crammed into the corners of your Airstream.

From what I could tell from the factory tour, the folks there simply string them out as fast as they can, letting them fall where they may. Others here have reported that the connectors are sometimes mis-connected. And the way AS connects everything is not always the best way to hook up various AV components. (Apparently, if it's not the cheapest and/or fastest way, its not that way in your coach, sadly)

You may have to manually trace the cable back to the source, and if you are lucky, use the existing cable as a fish line to pull your new cable in.

Sadly, AS does not utilize cable trays or conduit, and if it runs behind the inner skin, though the walls, they may have taped the cable to the back side of the outer skin. That is the way they run the DC lines for the running lights, for instance - I kid you not.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
The first time I looked under the hood of a Ferrari, I suddenly understood why they cost so much; every line, every wire was so carefully placed, it looked something like a circuit board. But even the Chevys and Fords of us hordes of unwashed masses, with their wire tied bundles of color-coded wires scattered about are far neater than what you'll find behind the walls and crammed into the corners of your Airstream.

From what I could tell from the factory tour, the folks there simply string them out as fast as they can, letting them fall where they may. Others here have reported that the connectors are sometimes mis-connected. And the way AS connects everything is not always the best way to hook up various AV components. (Apparently, if it's not the cheapest and/or fastest way, its not that way in your coach, sadly)

You may have to manually trace the cable back to the source, and if you are lucky, use the existing cable as a fish line to pull your new cable in.

Sadly, AS does not utilize cable trays or conduit, and if it runs behind the inner skin, though the walls, they may have taped the cable to the back side of the outer skin. That is the way they run the DC lines for the running lights, for instance - I kid you not.
Thanks. I’m hoping that it connects to its source somewhere behind the fridge which is between this TV and the bedroom TV.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Wouldn’t the source be over the dinette in that rat’s nest of cabling behind the stereo? My 25FB is older so I don’t have HDMI, but all of my audio and composite video cables go there. Isn’t there an HDMI switch up there? That should be the other end of all the HDMI cables, I would think.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Yes the HDMI cables from both TVs go to the area behind the radio on my 2018 FC25FB. I don't think there's a connector any place on that run and you're unlikely to be able to be able to pull a new cable through that run. If those things are true the options aren't great.

One idea is to use a HDMI breakout board to put a new connector on the end of the existing wire. Figuring out which wires go where would be fun, however. Amazon sells a soldered version of this as well.

There are also wireless HDMI solutions. Search Amazon for those.

Or, ignore the HDMI and DVD player and do everything from the TV itself. That might need a new Smart TV and/or mount an Apple TV/ Firestick/Roku near it. We don't use our DVD player, for example, and play everything as downloaded content off my phone.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Short Answer: You can not use the old as a pull wire for the new.

Long Answer: I was a wire monkey when I started my career, I pulled thousands of miles of cables back in my days. Having worked on car stereo as well, every wire will be zip tied to something. It will not be loose enough to be able to pull a wire.

You're only option at this point is a wireless HDMI. Keep in mind it is wireless, sometimes it will work perfectly, and at times it won't depending on where you are.

Don't buy the cheapest thing you can find either. Also, look at the form factor because of how it will be installed.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
Avoid all of the searching and wiring. Use a wireless HDMI receiver and transmitter. About $180, but plug and play and no fixing or rewiring.
here is an example:

Nyrius Aries Home HDMI Digital Wireless Transmitter & Receiver for HD 1080p Video Streaming, Cable Box, Satellite, Bluray, DVD, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Laptops, PC (NAVS500)

https://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transm...YWDJXJ3BXQ87F7
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Needless to say, it’s easier to replace the cable tan it is to repair it.
Maybe not in this case. How hard can a HDMI cable be?
BTW, the theoretical limit of an HDMI cable is 25', not that Airstream would be daunted by that.

Fun and games:
https://www.amazon.com/Oiyagai-Adapt.../dp/B074M3FRDP

Use a multi meter to ID pins and color codes.
I've crimped many a 25 pair phone cable and it became fun to do.
BTW, both ends of an HDMI are male.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
A friend of mine repaired my HDMI cable end. He used the same brand cable for the repair as the broken one so the wire colors would match. When I was at JC I asked about repairs and was told the only way to repair it was to remove the inside panels and run a new cable. My repaired cable is still working fine 3 years later. Good luck.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Maybe not in this case. How hard can a HDMI cable be?
BTW, the theoretical limit of an HDMI cable is 25', not that Airstream would be daunted by that.

Fun and games:
https://www.amazon.com/Oiyagai-Adapt.../dp/B074M3FRDP

Use a multi meter to ID pins and color codes.
I've crimped many a 25 pair phone cable and it became fun to do.
BTW, both ends of an HDMI are male.
I’ve watched countless YouTube videos on how to replace the end of an HDMI cable (the male end &#128527 and am beginning to think that I may be able to do it. However when doing a continuity test, how to I generate a signal through the wires?
Old 10-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
I’ve watched countless YouTube videos on how to replace the end of an HDMI cable (the male end &#128527 and am beginning to think that I may be able to do it. However when doing a continuity test, how to I generate a signal through the wires?
Not sure what you mean by a “signal.” You’d be doing a continuity test with a multimeter with a probe at either end of the wire. You’d probably want to get a female breakout for the other end of the cable to make that easier.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
I’ve watched countless YouTube videos on how to replace the end of an HDMI cable (the male end [emoji57]) and am beginning to think that I may be able to do it. However when doing a continuity test, how to I generate a signal through the wires?

Use one of the cables that is already being used somewhere in your Airstream, like from the DVD player to the splitter. That way it is the same brand, same colors, no need for a continuity test, just connect same color wires to each other.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
Use one of the cables that is already being used somewhere in your Airstream, like from the DVD player to the splitter. That way it is the same brand, same colors, no need for a continuity test, just connect same color wires to each other.
That’s a good idea if there’s a cable don't need anymore somewhere in the trailer. Not sure how that helps otherwise as you’d be destroying that cable.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Stock HDMI Cable Routing Path

I had a broken HDMI cable end, an Electrical Engineer friend patched a new one on that I purchased from Best Buy he cut the New Cable with the New HDMI head cut the old HDMI CABLE from the factory cable and soldered each wire individually to mate the new to old wires. I think there were several bundles of wire with about five or so wires in each bundle that needed to be soldered together and not one of the colored wire matched up so red to red didn’t work each wire had to be traced. But he got it done,works perfectly and now I have a good quality HDMI that bends that lays flat behind the television. Airstream wanted to remove interior panels to run a new cable.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
That’s a good idea if there’s a cable don't need anymore somewhere in the trailer. Not sure how that helps otherwise as you’d be destroying that cable.
Let me try again to explain what I did to fix my broken HDMI cable end. I sacrificed a cable from the DVD player to the splitter so the colors would match. (Same brand cable=same color wires, no testing was necessary.) I then purchased a HDMI cable at Best Buy, to replace the one I used for the repair. The same color wires were soldered together, and it has been working fine for years. Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
How to trace wires?
Use a multi meter.
Set to "continuity" it beeps when both ends are touched by the probes.
Set to "Ohms" the readout will go to 0 when the probes touch both ends.

So put one probe on, #1 and touch every bare end until one beeps, that's #1!

The one I referenced in post 8 doesn't require soldering. Strip the wire, insert and screw tight. I'd start at the open end and keep extra wire clipped short.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
you need :
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Plug-Ter...0802552&sr=8-5
2: Multi meter
3 alligator clips and some short wires
4 HDMI female to female connector and short HDMI cable

Use the multi meter to identify which color wire to attach to each numbered port on connector (write all of this down on paper so you have a road map)

Attach the wires

when done tape the new connector to the tv mounting frame attach the female to female connector and short HDMI cable. Do this to avoid having this problem again. Do the same to your other TV (tape HDMI from wall to mounting bracket etc) so it will not break and also need repairing.

This process is not hard and takes about 30 careful minutes to complete, watch the video again before starting,

There is a previous post on this subject that will help

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...le-159724.html
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Not sure what you mean by a “signal.” You’d be doing a continuity test with a multimeter with a probe at either end of the wire. You’d probably want to get a female breakout for the other end of the cable to make that easier.
Since the cables on my multimeter aren’t long enough to span the distance between the signal source and the broken cable end, I suppose I could use alligator clips with an “extension” wire and probe on one end(?).
Old 10-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Using a long small gauge wire and alligator clips or the like is the usual way to ‘ring out’ a long cable.

Just be sure the extension is making a good solid connection to the multimeter at all times you are using it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Thanks to everyone for your VERY helpful comments and suggestions! You’ve given me the knowledge and more importantly, the courage to try this repair myself. Just ordered the necessary parts from Amazon and will begin work as soon they arrive. I’ll post my results ASAP.